Pieces of tech you liked

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
At the org I studied at they probably would have sent me to Ethics for reading tech by off-source squirrels like Dale Carnegie.

Instead, they offered a book entitled: "How To Con Friends And Influence Whales".

It was written by "Mankind's Greatest Friend"
Uh, I thought it was: "Can We Ever Be Friends?"

I think that tape ranks as the primo, indubitably, superlatively cringe-tastic thing EVER produced by Hubbard.

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
did you read it? And if so, can we talk about it? That is have a discussion?
I started reading it, but didn't finish. I'm doing a fair bit of reading thee days so perhaps I'll pick it up and give it another look.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

I think that tape ranks as the primo, indubitably, superlatively cringe-tastic thing EVER produced by Hubbard.
Me and a fellow clam listened to it together. I actually bought the damn cassette. We both had that reaction. We couldn't understand why the actor sounded so weird. The so called mocking up of the emotions of the Tone Scale was dumb and obvious. I kept the tape because I never throw anything away and besides, I paid good money for it.

The obvious question would have been: IF SCIENTOLOGY WORKS, THEN WHY IS THIS TAPE SO STUPID?

I think I even asked that question of myself many times in many different situations. But it wasn't enough. I was too much into the cult experience.

HelluvaHoax!

LOL!

I have to agree on that one, especially when the preacher on that tape launches into a (wall of) FIRE & BRIMSTONE harangue, literally working himself into a furiously fanatical frenzy to sell Hubbard's lies. It's quite the religious revival moment that is supposed to be using emotions like "hate" and "rage" to "bring the listener uptone" and "into agreement with" Hubbard's hoax.

I must however note that while it is probably scientifically impossible for anything else in Scientology to produce such a sustained cringe factor (a veritable "line cringe!"), there may yet be one dark horse in this contest that may even be a dead-even tie. ("Thank You For Listening"). Never underestimate that hit song's capability to trigger a worldwide cringe-demic!

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!

I have to agree on that one, especially when the preacher on that tape launches into a (wall of) FIRE & BRIMSTONE harangue, literally working himself into a furiously fanatical frenzy to sell Hubbard's lies. It's quite the religious revival moment that is supposed to be using emotions like "hate" and "rage" to "bring the listener uptone" and "into agreement with" Hubbard's hoax.

I must however note that while it is probably scientifically impossible for anything else in Scientology to produce such a sustained cringe factor (a veritable "line cringe!"), there may yet be one dark horse in this contest that may even be a dead-even tie. ("Thank You For Listening"). Never underestimate that hit song's capability to trigger a worldwide cringe-demic!

I'm sorry, but in my book, "Thank you for Listening" doesn't come close to the cringarificness of CWEBF?

There's something about TYFL that is just awesome-sauce. I think it's that part that goes super baritone end-word "argue". :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
I just realized that there was one more piece of sch philosophy that I really liked: the notion of a "fixable world". Its such a basic notion that I haven't really thought of it as a "piece of tech", but looking at some other big religions made me realize that it actually is.

That idea is absent from most Christian and most Buddhist sects. In their cases either the world is already as perfect as it can be, or at the very least "it is what it is, you just need to get through it to reach the end goal". The positive actions one takes are mostly a means of "saving oneself", rather than making a permanent positive impact on the universe.

In contrast, scientology puts you on the spot, tells you that yes the world is broken - BUT it can be fixed and in fact YOU can help fix it. YOUR actions matter, YOU can make the difference. Of course Scientology's way to fix it is absolutely wrong, but the underlying idea is valuable. It propels people to action, gives them a sense of agency and makes them think about the impact they have on others and the world around them.

A few Jewish sects have a similar notion, one of tikkum olam - a fixable world that makes faithful Jews to be agents of good in God's plan to restore the world.

Of all the scientology ideas, that one I think I'm going to keep. Even if it means minor things - feeding cats, planting trees, helping my neighbors. As a local saying goes, "glad is the man that decreaseth sorrow."

guanoloco

As-Wased
I remember when I had to buy a copy of Can We Ever Be Friends to mail it to relatives or something. Some sort of ethics order or mandatory thing.

Thank GAWD that I listened to it first.

Talk about a boomerang. If you didn't have a PTS sit before that just mail that wang fang dooey out and see what happens.

I tossed it. It was so bad that I, as a Koolaid drinker, knew it would have the reverse effect.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

I remember when I had to buy a copy of Can We Ever Be Friends to mail it to relatives or something. Some sort of ethics order or mandatory thing.

Thank GAWD that I listened to it first.

Talk about a boomerang. If you didn't have a PTS sit before that just mail that wang fang dooey out and see what happens.

I tossed it. It was so bad that I, as a Koolaid drinker, knew it would have the reverse effect.
Funny how we agree. I kept the tape knowing that it was worse than useless and knowing I would never use it.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Funny how we agree. I kept the tape knowing that it was worse than useless and knowing I would never use it.
Just think...Div 6 is about the biggest book in the whole Admin line up and it's all about PR and look at what Scientology's PR is.

I think this is the result of virtually everything in Scientology. It's a direct reversal.

A Scientologist doesn't develop spiritual growth that would indicate empathy and care - the more that they adhere the more callous and self-centered they become OR it's completely flipped where they deny anything and everything for themselves and become the ultimate sacrifice to the whole thing - although I'm convinced that this aspect is tied to a secret payoff for the ego...making it all about them in the end.

The whole topic of ethics, itself, is reversed. In virtually every industry or profession the ethics codes exist to protect the consumer from the profession and the practitioner - but in Scientology it's all reversed. Scientology ethics are geared to protect the profession and the practitioner from the consumer.

Anyone seeking help is instantly pivoted into how they can help Scientology.

The biggest book in the Admin line up is Div 7 and just view the madness and ineptitude of the executive strata of Scientology.

Scientology converts spirituality into obsession of money possession.

Scientology has goals for a world without insanity, crime or war - how does the world of Scientology look?

Scientology professes a lot of concern for human rights - how does Scientology's human rights report card look?

It's a direct reversal of everything.

L. Ron Hubbard claims excellence, virtue and beneficent concern - what was really happening?

I don't know of another human example of complete and total moral depravity as L. Ron Hubbard. I can't think of another human being so completely and totally morally bankrupt as L. Ron Hubbard. People like Ted Bundy, Hitler and Charles Manson have more redeemable characteristics than L. Ron Hubbard. The reason that I say this is because of them all L. Ron Hubbard was consciously striving for the results that he obtained. The others, IMHO, were more victims of circumstance and caught up in their desires. Hubbard was calculating and scheming and planning - the others appear to be less volitional. How is L. Ron Hubbard portrayed by Scientology?

Mankind's Greatest Friend - who privately writes that all men are his slaves in an effort to self-hypnotize himself to that "truth".

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Just think...Div 6 is about the biggest book in the whole Admin line up and it's all about PR and look at what Scientology's PR is.

I think this is the result of virtually everything in Scientology. It's a direct reversal.

A Scientologist doesn't develop spiritual growth that would indicate empathy and care - the more that they adhere the more callous and self-centered they become OR it's completely flipped where they deny anything and everything for themselves and become the ultimate sacrifice to the whole thing - although I'm convinced that this aspect is tied to a secret payoff for the ego...making it all about them in the end.

The whole topic of ethics, itself, is reversed. In virtually every industry or profession the ethics codes exist to protect the consumer from the profession and the practitioner - but in Scientology it's all reversed. Scientology ethics are geared to protect the profession and the practitioner from the consumer.

Anyone seeking help is instantly pivoted into how they can help Scientology.

The biggest book in the Admin line up is Div 7 and just view the madness and ineptitude of the executive strata of Scientology.

Scientology converts spirituality into obsession of money possession.

Scientology has goals for a world without insanity, crime or war - how does the world of Scientology look?

Scientology professes a lot of concern for human rights - how does Scientology's human rights report card look?

It's a direct reversal of everything.

L. Ron Hubbard claims excellence, virtue and beneficent concern - what was really happening?

I don't know of another human example of complete and total moral depravity as L. Ron Hubbard. I can't think of another human being so completely and totally morally bankrupt as L. Ron Hubbard. People like Ted Bundy, Hitler and Charles Manson have more redeemable characteristics than L. Ron Hubbard. The reason that I say this is because of them all L. Ron Hubbard was consciously striving for the results that he obtained. The others, IMHO, were more victims of circumstance and caught up in their desires. Hubbard was calculating and scheming and planning - the others appear to be less volitional. How is L. Ron Hubbard portrayed by Scientology?

Mankind's Greatest Friend - who privately writes that all men are his slaves in an effort to self-hypnotize himself to that "truth".
So true. Has been said many times before but can never be said enough.