Arthur Conway Hubbard speaks

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Post #32 by Lulu Belle.

I was working at a very trendy restaurant in Laurel Canyon in the early 90's and Diane came in for dinner one night.....

I guess the guy she was with....was that "Music Producer guy...." I had heard on the grapevine that she had married him.

I was knocked back on my heels....I'll tell you. Crimminy.....the guy was a big fat slob.....with thick black hair greased back like some Sicilian Mafioso type... I was shocked! I was completely floored!

Diane looked good....with her big red hair....

I didn't have to serve them...not in my station....luckily.....and after a hidden glance or two....didn't pay them attention.

Yeah. I never did get the attraction women had for John Ryan.

I had a friend at the San Diego Org. Really pretty girl. She later got together with John Ryan; I think she might have even married him.

Totally incomprehensible to me.

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
He would not have written,
"And, as the pundits sanctimoniously pile it on, they, as a card carrying so-called realists, are the only reasonable and balanced arbiters of world view unlike all these other nut-jobs." :LOL: :roflmao:

That's complete prose overkill :LOL: and Arthur clearly didn't write that. Someone wrote it for him.
Perhaps Dan Sherman? :D

O Tease

Electronic Box Cellmate of Ron & Xenu
You know, I know exactly what you mean.

I never felt comfortable around him either.

Then again, I really didn't know him very well.
Thank goodness I met him and it was the first big bubble to burst in being provoked to admit to myself that it is entirely possible that things are not as they seem or are said to be in Scientology. Perhaps I needed to watch with a wary eye as to whether this group was what they professed to be at all. Then when I saw the LRH had something seriously wrong with him around the time The Power of Source came out I was on track to unravel the mystery of Scientology. Thank God for the books that came out in the 70's or it's possible I'd not have fled the cult when I did being there was not internet in those days..

Caroline

clerk #2
At first glance it seemed that this blog statement contained a criticism of organized religion, as I assumed that a direct experience of God would be desirable. I may have been mistaken in that interpretation.

________Begin quote________​

...[The story of Scientology and the story of the world] is much more interesting, much more complicated and much, much older than is generally known and contains fundamental elements so wild and dangerous that the whole pop version becomes utterly boring (unless gossip is your thing).

And by dangerous I refer to what Jung said. "One of the main functions of organized religion is to protect people against a direct experience of God."

Why the hell would he say that?! Because, if you're not careful, such an experience could happen to you and then, as they say, God help you.

_______End quote______

?​
This famous quote is given alternately as "One of the main functions of formalized religion is to protect people against a direct experience of God." I have not yet found the source for it, or either translation.

However, this may help. In Memories, Dreams, Reflections, Jung discusses the faith of his father, and says his father was entrapped by the Church and its theological thinking; that the Church had blocked all avenues by which his father may have reached God directly.

During the years 1892-94 I had a number of rather vehement discussions with my father. He had studied Oriental languages in Gottingen and had done his dissertation on the Arabic version of the Song of Songs. His days of glory had ended with his final examination. Thereafter he forgot his linguistic talent. As a country parson he lapsed into a sort of sentimental idealism and into reminiscences of his golden student days, continued to smoke a long students pipe, and discovered that his marriage was not all he had imagined it to be. He did a great deal of good —far too much—and as a result was usually irritable. Both parents made great efforts to live devout lives, with the result that there were angry scenes between them only too frequently. These difficulties, understandably enough, later shattered my father's faith.
At that time his irritability and discontent had increased, and his condition filled me with concern. My mother avoided everything that might excite him and refused to engage in disputes. Though I realized that this was the wisest course to take, often I could not keep my own temper in check. I would remain passive during his outbursts of rage, but when he seemed to be in a more accessible mood I sometimes tried to strike up a conversation with him, hoping to learn something about his inner thoughts and his understanding of himself. It was clear to me that something quite specific was tormenting him, and I suspected that it had to do with his faith. From a number of hints he let fall I was convinced that he suffered from religious doubts. This, it seemed to me, was bound to be the case if the necessary experience had not come to him. From my attempts at discussion I learned in fact that something of the sort was amiss, for all my questions were met with the same old lifeless theological answers, or with a resigned shrug which aroused the spirit of contradiction in me. I could not understand why he did not seize on these opportunities pugnaciously and come to terms with his situation. I saw that my critical questions made him sad, but I nevertheless hoped for a constructive talk, since it appeared almost inconceivable to me that he should not have had experience of God, the most evident of all experiences. I knew enough about epistemology to realize that knowledge of this sort could not be proved, but it was equally clear to me that it stood in no more need of proof than the beauty of a sunset or the terrors of the night. I tried, no doubt very clumsily, to convey these obvious truths to him, with the hopeful intention of helping him to bear the fate which had inevitably befallen him. He had to quarrel with somebody, so he did it with his family and himself. Why didn’t he do it with God, the dark author of all created things, who alone was responsible for the sufferings of the world? God would assuredly have sent him by way of an answer one of those magical, infinitely profound dreams which He had sent to me even without being asked, and which had sealed my fate. I did not know why, it simply was so. Yes, He had even allowed me a glimpse into His own being. This was a great secret which I dared not and could not reveal to my father. I might have been able to reveal it had he been capable of understanding the direct experience of God. But in my talks with him I never got that far, never even came within sight of the problem, because I always set about it in a very unpsychological and intellectual way, and did everything possible to avoid the emotional aspects. Each time this approach was like a red rag to a bull and led to irritable reactions which were incomprehensible to me. I was unable to understand how a perfectly rational argument could meet with such emotional resistance.
These fruitless discussions exasperated my father and me, and in the end we abandoned them, each burdened with his own specific feeling of inferiority. Theology had alienated my father and me from one another. I felt that I had once again suffered a fatal defeat, though I sensed I was not alone. I had a dim premonition that he was inescapably succumbing to his fate. He was lonely and had no friend to talk with. At least I knew no one among our acquaintances whom I would have trusted to say the saving word. Once I heard him praying. He struggled desperately to keep his faith. I was shaken and outraged at once, because I saw how hopelessly he was entrapped by the Church and its theological thinking. They had blocked all avenues by which he might have reached God directly, and then faithlessly abandoned him. Now I understood the deepest meaning of my earlier experience: God Himself had disavowed theology and the Church founded upon it. On the other hand God condoned this theology, as He condoned so much else. It seemed ridiculous to me to suppose that men were responsible for such developments. What were men, anyway? “They are born dumb and blind as puppies,” I thought, “and like all God's creatures are furnished with the dimmest light, never enough to illuminate the darkness in which they grope.” I was equally sure that none of the theologians I knew had ever seen “the light that shineth in the darkness” with his own eyes, for if they had they would not have been able to teach a “theological religion,” which seemed quite inadequate to me, since there was nothing to do with it but believe it without hope. This was what my father had tried valiantly to do, and had run aground. He could not even defend himself against the ridiculous materialism of the psychiatrists. This, too, was something that one had to believe, just like theology, only in the opposite sense. I felt more certain than ever that both of them lacked epistemological criticism as well as experience.

JUNG, C. G. (1963). Memories, dreams, reflections. New York, Pantheon Books. [Download PDF]

Attachments

Veda

This famous quote is given alternately as "One of the main functions of formalized religion is to protect people against a direct experience of God." I have not yet found the source for it, or either translation.

However, this may help. In Memories, Dreams, Reflections, Jung discusses the faith of his father, and says his father was entrapped by the Church and its theological thinking; that the Church had blocked all avenues by which his father may have reached God directly.

During the years 1892-94 I had a number of rather vehement discussions with my father. He had studied Oriental languages in Gottingen and had done his dissertation on the Arabic version of the Song of Songs. His days of glory had ended with his final examination. Thereafter he forgot his linguistic talent. As a country parson he lapsed into a sort of sentimental idealism and into reminiscences of his golden student days, continued to smoke a long students pipe, and discovered that his marriage was not all he had imagined it to be. He did a great deal of good —far too much—and as a result was usually irritable. Both parents made great efforts to live devout lives, with the result that there were angry scenes between them only too frequently. These difficulties, understandably enough, later shattered my father's faith.
At that time his irritability and discontent had increased, and his condition filled me with concern. My mother avoided everything that might excite him and refused to engage in disputes. Though I realized that this was the wisest course to take, often I could not keep my own temper in check. I would remain passive during his outbursts of rage, but when he seemed to be in a more accessible mood I sometimes tried to strike up a conversation with him, hoping to learn something about his inner thoughts and his understanding of himself. It was clear to me that something quite specific was tormenting him, and I suspected that it had to do with his faith. From a number of hints he let fall I was convinced that he suffered from religious doubts. This, it seemed to me, was bound to be the case if the necessary experience had not come to him. From my attempts at discussion I learned in fact that something of the sort was amiss, for all my questions were met with the same old lifeless theological answers, or with a resigned shrug which aroused the spirit of contradiction in me. I could not understand why he did not seize on these opportunities pugnaciously and come to terms with his situation. I saw that my critical questions made him sad, but I nevertheless hoped for a constructive talk, since it appeared almost inconceivable to me that he should not have had experience of God, the most evident of all experiences. I knew enough about epistemology to realize that knowledge of this sort could not be proved, but it was equally clear to me that it stood in no more need of proof than the beauty of a sunset or the terrors of the night. I tried, no doubt very clumsily, to convey these obvious truths to him, with the hopeful intention of helping him to bear the fate which had inevitably befallen him. He had to quarrel with somebody, so he did it with his family and himself. Why didn’t he do it with God, the dark author of all created things, who alone was responsible for the sufferings of the world? God would assuredly have sent him by way of an answer one of those magical, infinitely profound dreams which He had sent to me even without being asked, and which had sealed my fate. I did not know why, it simply was so. Yes, He had even allowed me a glimpse into His own being. This was a great secret which I dared not and could not reveal to my father. I might have been able to reveal it had he been capable of understanding the direct experience of God. But in my talks with him I never got that far, never even came within sight of the problem, because I always set about it in a very unpsychological and intellectual way, and did everything possible to avoid the emotional aspects. Each time this approach was like a red rag to a bull and led to irritable reactions which were incomprehensible to me. I was unable to understand how a perfectly rational argument could meet with such emotional resistance.
These fruitless discussions exasperated my father and me, and in the end we abandoned them, each burdened with his own specific feeling of inferiority. Theology had alienated my father and me from one another. I felt that I had once again suffered a fatal defeat, though I sensed I was not alone. I had a dim premonition that he was inescapably succumbing to his fate. He was lonely and had no friend to talk with. At least I knew no one among our acquaintances whom I would have trusted to say the saving word. Once I heard him praying. He struggled desperately to keep his faith. I was shaken and outraged at once, because I saw how hopelessly he was entrapped by the Church and its theological thinking. They had blocked all avenues by which he might have reached God directly, and then faithlessly abandoned him. Now I understood the deepest meaning of my earlier experience: God Himself had disavowed theology and the Church founded upon it. On the other hand God condoned this theology, as He condoned so much else. It seemed ridiculous to me to suppose that men were responsible for such developments. What were men, anyway? “They are born dumb and blind as puppies,” I thought, “and like all God's creatures are furnished with the dimmest light, never enough to illuminate the darkness in which they grope.” I was equally sure that none of the theologians I knew had ever seen “the light that shineth in the darkness” with his own eyes, for if they had they would not have been able to teach a “theological religion,” which seemed quite inadequate to me, since there was nothing to do with it but believe it without hope. This was what my father had tried valiantly to do, and had run aground. He could not even defend himself against the ridiculous materialism of the psychiatrists. This, too, was something that one had to believe, just like theology, only in the opposite sense. I felt more certain than ever that both of them lacked epistemological criticism as well as experience.

JUNG, C. G. (1963). Memories, dreams, reflections. New York, Pantheon Books. [Download PDF]
"Formalized" or "organized" are close in meaning. Is it possible that the word "protect" is a mis-translation?

I am stumped as what Arthur's blog is saying here with this quote.

Am looking for some sign of disaffection with the organization.

Don't want to jump to too many conclusions, as I'd like Arthur to come here and communicate with us.

It would be nice to be able to help Arthur and his sisters.

By the way, there's a 1979 photograph of Arthur, his father, his mother, and his sisters, in what appears to be a hotel or motel room, having a 21st birthday party for Arthur.

Found it a while back on the Net but didn't bookmark it. It may be one of the last photos of the Hubbard family together.

Lee #28

^^^^

Nice thoughts Veda.

I've been a bit snarky in my posts....but that is how I was feeling...this afternoon.

So, it would seem that Hubbard did push some of his children toward the Arts...and that is commendable.

Arthur to fine art.....Diane to singing...

And if I'm not mistaken, I believe Suzette was studying dance / ballet in Paris at some point?
Perhaps one of you have some info on that.

Upon hearing that Diane had married a music producer.....my only thought was that she would be trying to re-launch her music career....

I don't recall when she did that one album....nor have I heard it.

I don't know what Arthur's financial situation is.... But have heard rumors on the web of Hubbard's will being changed....and wonder if Arthur got shafted out of what would have been a rather large inheritance... I had heard that he got some money upon his father's death.....and that his mother got to stay in that house in Los Feliz for the rest of her life..... But really don't know any details.

I do know that at his age...now in his 60's.....as I have getting into my 60's....one has gotten a bit weary of the daily grind to make money and cover one's monthly nut....and looking toward the rest of one's life....one thinks of their financial situation...and a bit of relaxation....and how it is all going to work. (financially.)

Of course....it would have been better for myself if instead of working so hard and sending all my money to Nicole at AO as APs on my OT levels.....I had been sending that money to my own 401K....for my future retirement. As the Cult of Scientology certainly did not provide anything for me in that regard.

cakemaker

"Formalized" or "organized" are close in meaning. Is it possible that the word "protect" is a mis-translation?

I am stumped as what Arthur's blog is saying here with this quote.

Am looking for some sign of disaffection with the organization.

Don't want to jump to too many conclusions, as I'd like Arthur to come here and communicate with us.

It would be nice to be able to help Arthur and his sisters.

By the way, there's a 1979 photograph of Arthur, his father, his mother, and his sisters, in what appears to be a hotel or motel room, having a 21st birthday party for Arthur.

Found it a while back on the Net but didn't bookmark it. It may be one of the last photos of the Hubbard family together.
Is this the one?
ScreenShot005.jpg

cakemaker

^^^^

Nice thoughts Veda.

I've been a bit snarky in my posts....but that is how I was feeling...this afternoon.

So, it would seem that Hubbard did push some of his children toward the Arts...and that is commendable.

Arthur to fine art.....Diane to singing...

And if I'm not mistaken, I believe Suzette was studying dance / ballet in Paris at some point?
Perhaps one of you have some info on that.

Upon hearing that Diane had married a music producer.....my only thought was that she would be trying to re-launch her music career....

I don't recall when she did that one album....nor have I heard it.

I don't know what Arthur's financial situation is.... But have heard rumors on the web of Hubbard's will being changed....and wonder if Arthur got shafted out of what would have been a rather large inheritance... I had heard that he got some money upon his father's death.....and that his mother got to stay in that house in Los Feliz for the rest of her life..... But really don't know any details.

I do know that at his age...now in his 60's.....as I have getting into my 60's....one has gotten a bit weary of the daily grind to make money and cover one's monthly nut....and looking toward the rest of one's life....one thinks of their financial situation...and a bit of relaxation....and how it is all going to work. (financially.)

Of course....it would have been better for myself if instead of working so hard and sending all my money to Nicole at AO as APs on my OT levels.....I had been sending that money to my own 401K....for my future retirement. As the Cult of Scientology certainly did not provide anything for me in that regard.
Arthur made this declaration back in 1986.

ScreenShot021.jpg

Lee #28

^^^^^
Interesting. Thank you Cakemaker.

Certainly he didn't write that document above.....a Lawyer did.

Looks like he signed it. But as a legal document ....In my experience......wouldn't there be a place for a witness to sign it....and an additional signature of a Notary ....and their seal?

Those aspects of a Legal Document are glaringly absent, from the document above.

The document above would not be a legal document in my estimation..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51

^^^^^
Interesting. Thank you Cakemaker.

Certainly he didn't write that document above.....a Lawyer did.

Looks like he signed it. But as a legal document ....In my experience......wouldn't there be a place for a witness to sign it....and an additional signature of a Notary ....and their seal?

Those aspects of a Legal Document are glaringly absent, from the document above.

The document above would not be a legal document in my estimation..
Lee, try to understand, from the time of that RPF assignment, from whatever he was put through, Arthur didn’t believe he deserved much of anything for himself. Before that, from the stories I heard, he was a pretty cocky kid but sensitive. It seemed to me they broke the poor guy. He wouldn’t have asked for anything more than basic, simple living. It was disturbing to see his willingness to personally suffer and yet he was deeply upset by others suffering and would sacrifice himself if it would make things easier for others. To me, his blood art was more of the same type of thinking. I felt sorry for him. If someone demanded he let them advertise Scientology, he wouldn’t fight it, he’d be like, “if that’s what you want.” It’s sad.

The Jung refs are probably basically Arthur, but edited somewhat. I think Caroline and Veda get it. He showed no love for his father and said he rarely saw him except when they had to appear as a family for photos or meals. He was close with Mary Sue, though and loved her. It would have probably been a crew member who started him with art and it was probably to keep him focused, happy and out of trouble. He told me he was mostly raised by nannies and the crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
Tony Ortega and Jon Atack on Arthur's "blood art". Interesting that the show was hosted by Danny Masterson:

"L. Ron Hubbard’s youngest son, Arthur, 55, is an artist. We noticed that in 2009, under the name “A. Conway Hubbard,” he had a fascinating exhibit at the POVevolving Gallery in Los Angeles. The show consisted of a wide range of nude prints that made use of a rather interesting ingredient. Here’s the show’s own description…
The show, hosted by Actor/DJ Danny Masterson, will be the first exhibition by A. Conway Hubbard in nearly a decade and marks the artist’s first adventure into the world of drypoint intaglio printing.
The included works are the first that the artist has shown since formulating a special printmaking ink that uses blood as its primary ingredient. For this exhibition, Hubbard has printed each intaglio plate in varying ways using both traditional black inks and his specially created ‘blood ink.’
And some examples of Arthur’s work…

ArthurBI

ArthurBI2

See the full show at this nifty website. Jon, what thoughts do you have about Arthur creating nude prints of women processed with blood? Isn’t it a pretty peculiar choice for the son of L. Ron Hubbard?

JON: I think that Arthur felt that this was a way of personalising his work, but, on a deeper level, it is very curious. Hubbard had very little to do with any of his children, and Arthur was likely too young to have ever received instruction from his father. But there could be something horrid lurking in this. Magicians use blood and semen in their rituals (Crowley was particularly fond of menstrual blood).

Last edited:

cakemaker

Lee, try to understand, from the time of that RPF assignment, from whatever he was put through, Arthur didn’t believe he deserved much of anything for himself. Before that, from the stories I heard, he was a pretty cocky kid but sensitive. It seemed to me they broke the poor guy. He wouldn’t have asked for anything more than basic, simple living. It was disturbing to see his willingness to personally suffer and yet he was deeply upset by others suffering and would sacrifice himself if it would make things easier for others. To me, his blood art was more of the same type of thinking. I felt sorry for him. If someone demanded he let them advertise Scientology, he wouldn’t fight it, he’d be like, “if that’s what you want.” It’s sad.

The Jung refs are probably basically Arthur, but edited somewhat. I think Caroline and Veda get it. He showed no love for his father and said he rarely saw him except when they had to appear as a family for photos or meals. He was close with Mary Sue, though and loved her. It would have probably been a crew member who started him with art and it was probably to keep him focused, happy and out of trouble. He told me he was mostly raised by nannies and the crew.
He's surrounded by public Scientologists. Many of his patrons and personal friends are still-ins.
It's highly doubtful he will ever speak up. Maybe if Suzette does or when Miscavige escapes to Bulgravia with his suitcase full of cash.

D

Deleted member 51

Perhaps Dan Sherman? :D
:LOL:Ha ha! Yeh, it has the circular gibberish of Sherman-Speak, but It could have been one of Marty’s nonsense philosophy sermons filtered through the gibberish generator. For sure, whatever Arthur wrote has been edited and rephrased to Scn standards.

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
Arthur Conway Hubbard
Artworks

What ax31 is all about
October 17, 2019

Ax31 stands for axiom 31 which is something my father wrote out on a list of 58 such axioms. He had decided to make a complete list, in descending order of relevance, of all the rules that made up “reality” which I thought was pretty amazing. Basically it states, in part, that the condition of beauty as well as ugliness are alike in terms of consideration and are thus wholly based on opinion. Rather than this being that tired old trope, “art is in the eye of the beholder’ it is more in line with Seneca’s views that the world is a place where such moral and aesthetic concerns are not inherently in nature but are a matter of meaning as applied by Man. This extends to what is good and bad also.

So, when we externalise such concerns and pretend that beauty and ugliness and that which is good or bad are objective realities we set the stage for internal confusion and external conflict. This axiom does not invalidate the hierarchy of realities in the world but instead validate the primary function of Man to bring meaning to it, whatever that might be always bearing in mind that the base of this meaning is PAIN.

The ax31 series is my attempt to express this idea. It is not a series designed to appeal to all viewers as I tried to take elements I knew to be universally held as beautiful and good and combine them with elements that are generally considered to be ugly and bad.

I thought a great deal about this as a result of growing up in the sixties and seventies when there was much upset and conflict about long hair and loud music and such stuff. I did a lot of drawings and other things trying to sort out what might be my own views but I didn’t begin the work in earnest until about 1991 or ‘92 when I was reading over my dad’s list one day and the whole idea came to me. In the spring of 1993 I exhibited twenty or so of these proto-ax31 paintings in Vienna in a little gallery that usually dealt in erotic art (oh well) and a lot of them sold. Excited, I returned to LA and spent the next 9 or 10 years working on some 50 pieces (the process of making them is pretty labour intensive).

Here there are 36 pieces shown, 14 others weren’t finished because of burn-out but I will finish them eventually.

cakemaker

Tony Ortega and Jon Atack on Arthur's "blood art". Interesting that the show was hosted by Danny Masterson:

JON: I think that Arthur felt that this was a way of personalising his work, but, on a deeper level, it is very curious. Hubbard had very little to do with any of his children, and Arthur was likely too young to have ever received instruction from his father. But there could be something horrid lurking in this. Magicians use blood and semen in their rituals (Crowley was particularly fond of menstrual blood).

ScreenShot020.jpg