Mooji Answers — The Master Key to All Problems

O

Oat Tea Ate

I think Mooji is the real deal. There's a warmth and gentleness about the guy which infuses the whole session, and there are also frequent splashes of humour;

Can you share with us what you like about him. For some strange reason, I just can't listen to another religious spiritual guru who has that glassy stare in his eyes. It is an engram I am trying to erase.;)

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Can you share with us what you like about him. For some strange reason, I just can't listen to another religious spiritual guru who has that glassy stare in his eyes. It is an engram I am trying to erase.;)
You often talk about the tone scale and 1.1s and now engrams. Do you think these things exist? Just curious.

Cat's Squirrel

I think I've already said it;

"There's a warmth and gentleness about the guy which infuses the whole session, and there are also frequent splashes of humour."

I don't think I have anything to add to that, but if I had to put it in one phrase he seems to me to come "from the heart".

Last edited:

Cat's Squirrel

Here's an interview between Mooji and the British TV and radio presenter Russell Brand which I think covers a lot of ground.

I think Russell asks a lot of pertinent questions here, but Mooji's answers are often quite involved and I find I have to stop the video at some points and replay the video in order to try and get a handle on what he's saying. Nevertheless I think this is worth watching.

Last edited:

Zertel

Two or three years ago I delved into nondualism and listened to lots of Mooji, Adyashanti and other teachers and I "resonate" with most of what they say. There was also a female teacher I liked but I don't recall her name right now.

Listening to Mooji again was refreshing. It's a much different path or study than scientology where you are expected to analytically learn and apply. As I listened to the teachers I would often nod in agreement, "Yes, I've experienced and understand that.", and with other things I simply passed over them making no attempt to analytically understand, the subject often based on intuitive or experiential understanding or realization.

To clarify a bit, many people have experienced brief moments of kensho or satori while most people have not. To them the nondualism concept of "I" being a non identified, no ego timeless observer watching "now" go by would make no sense.

Kenshō[note 1] (見性) is a Japanese term from the Zen tradition. Ken means "seeing", shō means "nature, essence".[4][2] It is usually translated as "seeing one's (true) nature", that is, the Buddha-nature or nature of mind.

Kenshō is an initial insight or awakening, not full Buddhahood.[5] It is to be followed by further training to deepen this insight, and learn to express it in daily life.[6][7][8]

The term kenshō is often used interchangeably with satori, which is derived from the verb satoru,[9] and means "comprehension; understanding".[web 1][note 2][note 3]

Last edited:

Cat's Squirrel

Two or three years ago I delved into nondualism and listened to lots of Mooji, Adyashanti and other teachers and I "resonate" with most of what they say. There was also a female teacher I liked but I don't recall her name right now.

Listening to Mooji again was refreshing. It's a much different path or study than scientology where you are expected to analytically learn and apply. As I listened to the teachers I would often nod in agreement, "Yes, I've experienced and understand that.", and with other things I simply passed over them making no attempt to analytically understand, the subject often based on intuitive or experiential understanding or realization.

To clarify a bit, many people have experienced brief moments of kensho or satori while most people have not. To them the nondualism concept of "I" being a non identified, no ego timeless observer watching "now" go by would make no sense.

Kenshō[note 1] (見性) is a Japanese term from the Zen tradition. Ken means "seeing", shō means "nature, essence".[4][2] It is usually translated as "seeing one's (true) nature", that is, the Buddha-nature or nature of mind.

Kenshō is an initial insight or awakening, not full Buddhahood.[5] It is to be followed by further training to deepen this insight, and learn to express it in daily life.[6][7][8]

The term kenshō is often used interchangeably with satori, which is derived from the verb satoru,[9] and means "comprehension; understanding".[web 1][note 2][note 3]

Thanks for replying. From what I remember Ram Dass saying, about two-fifths of the population (or about 40%) have experienced a kensho or satori moment, but (again according to Ram Dass) most of them don't take it any further, because in his words it "screws up the apple cart".

Their lives are based on a set of ideas around who they are; their personal history, likes and dislikes, opinions etc.; and their kensho experience shows that that set of ideas isn't them at all and it's too big a threat to them so they try and ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

Last edited:

stratty

Thanks for replying. From what I remember Ram Dass saying, about two-fifths of the population (or about 40%) have experienced a kensho or satori moment, but (again according to Ram Dass) most of them don't take it any further, because in his words it "screws up the apple cart".

Their lives are based on a set of ideas around who they are; their personal history, likes and dislikes, opinions etc.; and their kensho experience shows that that set of ideas isn't them at all and it's too big a threat to them so they try and ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.
Reading the above I suppose I could count myself among the 40%. What I experienced (on two different occasions) is what I believe is referred to as a 'religious experience', that feeling of being at one with the universe and a profound sense of transcendent well-being. No scientology or mind-altering drugs were employed, it was a spontaneous occurrence and what set it in train I haven't the foggiest idea. If I could have bottled it I certainly would have.

How one was supposed to 'take it any further' didn't occur to me at the time, it lasted over a period of several days until my feet eventually touched the ground again.

Cat's Squirrel

How one was supposed to 'take it any further' didn't occur to me at the time, it lasted over a period of several days until my feet eventually touched the ground again.
From what I've read from Buddhist teachers like Stephen Levine, it can't be "taken further" - it lasts as long as it does and then you have to put it behind you and get on with life (apparently a lot of people don't and find themselves getting stuck).

stratty

From what I've read from Buddhist teachers like Stephen Levine, it can't be "taken further" - it lasts as long as it does and then you have to put it behind you and get on with life (apparently a lot of people don't and find themselves getting stuck).
I can't say I ever felt stuck, but this happened about forty-five years ago and it was such a powerful and other-worldly experience that it left a deep impression on me that has lasted to this day.

Zertel

For anyone interested in the subject here's a site which gives a lot of interesting information about zen, taoism, non-dualism and other Eastern philosophy. It's arranged by topics like a coffee table book so you can browse and pick a topic without getting buried in a lot of details. It includes some some short biographies and writings from some modern non-dualism teachers like Adyashanti and Eckhart Tolle.

Here's the whole list
Leaders
1.The Path of Awakening
2. Shikantaza
3. Satori
4. Sunnata
5. Advaita
6. Taoism

Meditation Practice
1. Concentration Meditation.
2. Progressive Stages of Samatha Meditation.
3. Effects And Hindrances of Meditation.
4. Vipassana Meditation.
5. Mindfulness (Meditation in Action).
6. Meditation in Emptiness.
7. Kundalini and Qiqong Psychosis.
Death and the Spirit World
8. Dying Unto Death.
9. The Spirit World.
10. Spirits, Ghosts and Guides.
11. Near Death Experience (NDE).
12. Out of Body Experience (OBE).
13. Perchance to Dream.
Healing the Subtle Bodies, the Body and the Mind
14. Doctoring the Spirit, Healing The Body.
15. Auras and Chakras.
16. Cosmic Healing.
17. Prayer.
18. Psychic Self-Defence.
19. Freedom From Fear, Anxiety & Other Negativities.
The Soul
20. Universal Law of Karma.
21. Universal Law of Reincarnation.
22. Our G-Plan and Sacred Contracts.
23. Soul Mates and Twin Souls.
24. The Anatomy of the Soul.
25. Brain, Mind and Consciousness.
26. The Existence of God and soul.
Spiritual Practices
27. Beyond the Mind,I am No-thing.
28. What Comes After Enlightenment?
29. Are Spiritual Practices Useless?
30. Milestones on the Spiritual Path to Enlightenment.
31. Western Mysticism I - The Dark Night of the Soul.
32. Western Mysticism II - The Cloud of Unknowing.
33. Ultimate State of Consciousness.
34. Sufism.
35. A Touch of Zen.
36. Theravada, the Oldest Form of Buddhism.
37. Taoism I - General.
38. Taoism II - Tao Te Ching Part One.
39. Taoism III - Tao Te Ching Part Two.
40. Taoism IV - Taoist Wisdom.
41. A simple Practice of Awakening.
Advaita, Non-duality
42. Ramana Maharshi.
43. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.
44. Ramesh S. Balsekar.
45. Tony Parsons' Open Secret.
46. Adyashanti.
47. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
48. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Last edited:

Zertel

Reading the above I suppose I could count myself among the 40%. What I experienced (on two different occasions) is what I believe is referred to as a 'religious experience', that feeling of being at one with the universe and a profound sense of transcendent well-being. No scientology or mind-altering drugs were employed, it was a spontaneous occurrence and what set it in train I haven't the foggiest idea. If I could have bottled it I certainly would have.

That's an excellent description! I've had two or three such experiences lasting a day or two before they slowly faded away. In addition to what you aptly said, " . . . that feeling of being at one with the universe and a profound sense of transcendent well-being" I also had a strong sense of the irrelevance of current mind and body in the grand scheme of things.

I decided to put it to the test to see how deep it went and "mocked up" a scenario of someone opening the door and rolling in a bomb with a burning fuse on it. Looking at that scenario I just laughed out loud. In that state of mind or awareness I would simply watch with interest as the bomb exploded feeling quite confident that I would just be off to some new adventure. If a bomb rolled in my door right now I'd run like hell! Altered states - lol

Last edited:

Zertel

Well, for people following up on it as a spiritual pursuit it would take a lot of commitment. Maybe a change of diet, eliminating negative situations in life, meditating or chanting, attending satsungs and the list goes on.

Zertel

Just as a counter point, some guy on a blog once said that he had been a Buddhist for eight years and he could easily go into a state of satori but I guess he found it a bit boring or something so he jumped into scientology and gave it a try, maybe hoping to get some super powerz. lol

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
I prefer to think of non-dualism in terms of modern neuroscience brain research.

However, I suspect that the pattern (biological or non-biological) required for self-awareness will not happen within my lifetime.

Last edited:

stratty

I prefer to think of non-dualism in terms of modern neuroscience brain research.

However, I suspect that the pattern (biological or non-biological) required for self-awareness will not happen within my lifetime.
Me too. At the time I experienced the above it felt like a 'spiritual' phenomenon, but in the same decade I took LSD and learned that their is only a very thin veil between what we normally experience as 'reality' and something radically different. It only takes a subtle rebalancing of the chemicals in the brain to produce all sorts of perceptual changes.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
For non-dualism, I like the SciFi comedy movie "Short Circuit". :D
Some of the topics, sub-topics, and events in that movie are funny/amusing.
(Sometime I'll watch that movie again to notice how robot Johnny 5 is forming the pieces of his worldview.)

Last edited:

Cat's Squirrel

Just as a counter point, some guy on a blog once said that he had been a Buddhist for eight years and he could easily go into a state of satori but I guess he found it a bit boring or something so he jumped into scientology and gave it a try, maybe hoping to get some super powerz. lol
That's interesting. I attended the meetings in London of the Australian spiritual teacher Barry Long in 1987 (just after I attested to Clear, btw), and subscribed to his mailing list, so I got a few of his books and tapes. In one of those tapes he talked about a state called non-experience, in which nothing much seems to be happening and life seems very bland.

Barry's point was that this is an essential stage in the spiritual journey, and that if you can't tolerate it you won't go any further. I've seen similar things said by the Zen teacher Brad Warner and by the Implicate Technology Centre (whose two books are available online), so I think it's most likely true.

Last edited:

Zertel

That's interesting. I attended the meetings in London of the Australian spiritual teacher Barry Long in 1987 (just after I attested to Clear, btw), and subscribed to his mailing list, so I got a few of his books and tapes. In one of those tapes he talked about a state called non-experience, in which nothing much seems to be happening and life seems very bland.

Barry's point was that this is an essential stage in the spiritual journey, and that if you can't tolerate it you won't go any further. I've seen similar things said by the Zen teacher Brad Warner and by the Implicate Technology Centre (whose two books are available online), so I think it's most likely true.
Non-dualism suggests a shorter path to "awakening" than traditional Buddhism but it would still take a lot of dedication. As seen in the letters to Mooji some or many people get hung up on something. I think in traditional Buddhism many people find a personal teacher to guide them through rough spots.

On a scn blog some years ago an Indie Scientologist said she thought some scn procedures might help non-dualists who get bogged. Good luck with that.