Dear Ron...

As a kid it was the best thing to go to an event and find the stack of Dear Ron envelopes. Get home and start planning out what I would say. Write it out with your best pen and wait for that piece of mail like it was the golden ticket from the Chocolate Factory. haha I managed, after all these years to have some of them. Any other old timers remember these?

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
I'm sure you already know, but almost 100% of those responses were not written by LRH.
The way it was supposed to go (at least back in the 1980's) is the Org's LRH Comm had the job of looking at the "Letters to Ron", formulate a reasonable reply to each, and forward the letter+reply to Flag.

At Flag, in the old bank building, there was a room with "SO#1" on the door, and a lot of busy typists.

I think, occasionally, a sampling of letters, plus any letters pointing out a situation, would go "uplines". A few might actually have been seen by LRH.

F.Bullbait

Wise Guy
Back in the 70s, I was hectored to write to Ron at an event. I did so and received back a nice 'upstat' looking letter full of Ron quotes signed by his nibs. Needless to say, I never wrote again. Much later I was doing some research at Pubs and found empty files marking "confidential" orders regarding letters sent to Ron. Thought that this verified my conclusion that it was all bullshit.

O

Oat Tea Ate

I know a guy that was in as early as the 70's that received a response. He still has "the letter from lrh" and shows it to people. He's very proud, and still in.
That is a cringe evoking thought. To think "RON WROTE TO ME" and later find out the dude was a criminal con artist snake oil salesman, tax evader, conning thief peddler married to two women at the same time, who threw his own flesh and blood under the bus, ran over their heads, backed up on their heads and repeated the process until they were unrecognizable.

Showing the photo with "pride" like Hubbard was a celebrity.

I am embarrassed for that person and will CRINGE on his behalf.:duh:

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
That is a cringe evoking thought. To think "RON WROTE TO ME" and later find out the dude was a criminal con artist snake oil salesman, tax evader, conning thief peddler married to two women at the same time, who threw his own flesh and blood under the bus, ran over their heads, backed up on their heads and repeated the process until they were unrecognizable.

I have a letter from Hubbard with a couple of paragraphs of hand-written stuff. I posted a scan of it once on the the old esmb. I'm in no doubt that it's genuine and I think it's worth hanging onto because it comes from one of the most successful con men/shysters in history. Most of my other scientology stuff went into the dustbin where it belongs.

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
I have a letter from Hubbard with a couple of paragraphs of hand-written stuff. I posted a scan of it once on the the old esmb. I'm in no doubt that it's genuine and I think it's worth hanging onto because it comes from one of the most successful con men/shysters in history. Most of my other scientology stuff went into the dustbin where it belongs.
That's a keeper.

That reminds me of years back, I knew a guy that was a hub, scion, DN collector. Stuff like first edition DMSMH, SOS, signed letters and shut like that. Steve Brubaker I think, he was a CC Nash public. They considered him a celebrity because he was some high-up in Dunlop tires and racing. He was always on the lookout and was buying stuff up. I recall books for $ 2,500 USD and up. Wonder if he's still in. I'll have to search him.

La La Lou Lou

That's a keeper.

That reminds me of years back, I knew a guy that was a hub, scion, DN collector. Stuff like first edition DMSMH, SOS, signed letters and shut like that. Steve Brubaker I think, he was a CC Nash public. They considered him a celebrity because he was some high-up in Dunlop tires and racing. He was always on the lookout and was buying stuff up. I recall books for $ 2,500 USD and up. Wonder if he's still in. I'll have to search him.
I remember someone walking in to London Org, asking how many copies of that dreadful LP record he could buy as they were a limited issue and therefore worth money, he knew they were not worth listening to. It was the Apollo Stars, god it was a terrible.

I had an SO1 letter for years, it had a really unconvincing rubber stamp 'signature' in bright green. I know some letters were written by Hubbard, but I don't think I ever saw one.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
I'm sure that, at the time, it was essentially true.

Note that he says "received by me". He does NOT promise to actually read any, or to personally respond to any, just that they will be "received" by him.

All that really means is that the letters would be delivered to a designated place under his control, at which he COULD read any if he chose to.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
If you track him down tell him to PM me, he can have my letter for say ... I dunno ... five grand? :coolwink:
If anyone would buy that, then I could see a cottage industry popping up to create and sell counterfeit "Dear Ron" letters:
- "Hi, I'm Bob. I'm an expert in forging the fake Hubbard signatures of Nelly the SO girl who wrote replies between 1975-1978. If you want Fake Hubbard signatures from 1974, you need to go ask my friend Bill over there..."

I wonder, would forging fake Hubbard signatures be seen by the Co$ as practicing scientology without a license?

My gramps had books signed by Hubbard on the title page. I think one was Science of Survival. I dunno what happened to them, either my mom still has them or they were disposed of during one of the the Golden Age of Tech book purges. I doubt she would throw them out unless the goons made her do it.

Wow, thinking about it - this could be quite a PR thing - "Books signed by LRH destroyed on church orders". But its not like my mom would come forward even if that's the case...

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I remember someone walking in to London Org, asking how many copies of that dreadful LP record he could buy as they were a limited issue and therefore worth money, he knew they were not worth listening to. It was the Apollo Stars, god it was a terrible.

I had an SO1 letter for years, it had a really unconvincing rubber stamp 'signature' in bright green. I know some letters were written by Hubbard, but I don't think I ever saw one.
Back in the day when I used to buy and sell 'collectible vinyl records' on the Internet, I came across a copy of 'Battlefield Earth' LP in excellent condition for 50p in a charity shop.

I snapped it up for the above reason, plus the late great Nicky Hopkins played on a track or two which enhanced its appeal a hundredfold. I've still got it. There was absolutely no interest in it.

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
I think that somewhere amongst the junk here, is a paperback "Battlefield Earth" signed by JT, oh my gawd. I may have trashed it in the midst of my angry phase of being out. I also have a framed Frazzetta somewhere's here, the Johnny Goodboy Tyler poster from "Battlefield Earth".

I do have about six quantumized MK7 emeters. I sent one to a never in that posts here, @Alex P. Keaton. (Hey buddy, hope you are doing ok in the Amazon warehouse.)