What is Rhetoric?

Riddick

I clap to no man
Any of you people know?

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Oooooooh ... I know this one!

It's something which you (long ago) had a realisation about regarding hubbard and his cult and have been firmly anchored into ever since, possibly to the point of being unable to discuss anything else?

Did I get it right???

;)

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"
Rhetoric
Rhetoric is the art of persuasion, which along with grammar and logic, is one of the three ancient arts of discourse. Rhetoric aims to study the techniques writers or speakers utilize to inform, persuade, or motivate particular audiences in specific situations.
Wikipedia

trivium
noun
triv·i·um | \ ˈtri-vē-əm \
Definition of trivium
: a group of studies consisting of grammar, rhetoric, and logic and forming the lower division of the seven liberal arts in medieval universities

Quadrivium
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For most medieval scholars, who believed that God created the universe according to geometric and harmonic principles, science – particularly geometry and astronomy – was linked directly to the divine. To seek these principles, therefore, would be to seek God.

In liberal arts education, the quadrivium (plural: quadrivia consists of the four subjects or arts (arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy) taught after the trivium.
The word is Latin, meaning 'four ways', and its use for the four subjects has been attributed to Boethius or Cassiodorus in the 6th century.

Together, the trivium and the quadrivium comprised the seven liberal arts (based on thinking skills), as distinguished from the practical arts (such as medicine and architecture).

The quadrivium followed the preparatory work of the trivium, consisting of grammar, logic, and rhetoric. In turn, the quadrivium was considered the foundation for the study of philosophy (sometimes called the "liberal art par excellence") and theology.

The quadrivium was the upper division of the medieval education in the liberal arts, which comprised arithmetic (number in the abstract), geometry (number in space), music (number in time), and astronomy (number in space and time).

Educationally, the trivium and the quadrivium imparted to the student the seven liberal arts (essential thinking skills) of classical antiquity.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

KSW KOAN
du jour

If a big hungry fish sees a small wiggly fish,
and ends up hooked, reeled in and cooked
by a professional fisherman--
where is the rhetoric?

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Er ... is that a rhetorical question?

:D
lol lol lol

Oh damn, you grabbed that post before i completed my wholetrack research and discovered a major breakthrough---the far more advanced and all-new-and-improved rhetorical fish allegory!

HelluvaHoax!

Here's a legit question. . .

A person is locked in a room where here is only a chair and small table. They are kept there for many days without food or water.

Finally the dehydration weakens them to a point where they feel like passing out--and perhaps dying. Just as they begin to succumb, someone enters the room and places a large cold pitcher of pink liquid and an empty glass on the table. They promptly do an about face and exit the room, locking it once again.

Taped to the pitcher is a sign that reads:

COSMIC CULT KOOLAID - DO NOT DRINK!
Even one drop will result in total loss of common sense
and personal identity--followed by zombification.

QUESTION: If (at the last moment) the person slipping into unconsciousness pours some of the Cosmic Cult Koolaid into the glass and gulps it down, where is the rhetoric?

Is the sign warning them to NOT drink the koolaid rhetoric that caused them to drink it?

By any definition of rhetoric, I think not.

So, if it's not rhetoric, what then convinced the guy to transform into a cult zombie?

Riddick

I clap to no man

Riddick

I clap to no man
How did Hubbard get people to read Dianetics back in the 1950's?

How did the Dianetics boom start up again the the 1980's?

How did Hubbard get people to join the Sea Org in the 1960's?

How did Hubbard create a religion?

How did Hubbard do what he did?

freethinker

Controversial

KSW KOAN
du jour

If a big hungry fish sees a small wiggly fish,
and ends up hooked, reeled in and cooked
by a professional fisherman--
where is the rhetoric?

Where's the damn fish?

freethinker

Controversial
How did Hubbard get people to read Dianetics back in the 1950's?

How did the Dianetics boom start up again the the 1980's?

How did Hubbard get people to join the Sea Org in the 1960's?

How did Hubbard create a religion?

How did Hubbard do what he did?
Believe it or not he gave them hope for an answer. he gave them an easy way to do it, all you had to do was talk.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
Running an AESP in session will usually cause a brain endorphin effect. (not caused by rhetoric.)

(After awhile, the brain endorphin euphoria effect wears off.)
However, if you want the cognitions to be more in agreement with "The Tech" then rhetoric is needed (i.e. training).
This is why it was recommended that a person go up both sides of "The Bridge".

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Where's the damn fish?
ANSWER: In that scenario, the big hungry fish is the Scientologist. He's in the ocean but once he "reaches" (bites the hook) he is transported at no additional cost to an Ideal Frying Pan.

Riddick

I clap to no man
sorry to lead you guys goes on, hubbard never used rhetoric, it was all Crowley's Magic and AESP's, probably some hypnosis too.