Hubbard and the Babalon Working

Caroline

clerk #2
The Babalon Working was a series of magical rituals performed in 1946 by Jack Parsons, rocket scientist and Lodge Master of the Agapé Lodge of the Ordo Templi Orientis and L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology.

Read Alexander Mitchell's then-shocking expose published on 5 October 1969: Revealed for the first time...the odd beginning of Ron Hubbard's career.

From the magical record of Jack Parsons:

This book contains the record of a magical experiment relating to the invocation of an elemental, the thereafter of the Goddess or Force called BABALON, and the results thereof.
An appendix contains some details of the method, published for the first time. The contents should be clear enough to those who are prepared for understanding, and a little study and effort should make it so for those who desire understanding. For the rest, each will no doubt interpret it in accord with his own predilections.
A note on the underlying philosophy. The present age is under the influence of the force called, in magical terminology, Horus. This force relates to fire, Mars, and the sun, that is, to power, violence, and energy. It also relates to a child, being innocent (i.e. undifferentiated). Its manifestations may be noted in the destruction of old institutions and ideas, the discovery and liberation of new energies, and the trend towards power governments, war, homosexuality, infantilism, and schizophrenia.
This force is completely blind, depending upon the men and women in whom it manifests and who guide it. Obviously, its guidance now tends towards catastrophy.
The catastrophic trend is due to our lack of understanding of our own natures. The hidden lusts, fears, and hatreds resulting from the warping of the love urge, which underly the natures of all Western peoples, have taken a homicidal and suicidal direction.
This impasse is broken by the incarnation of another sort of force, called BABALON. The nature of this force relates to love, understanding, and dionysian freedom, and is the necessary counterbalance or correspondence to the manifestation of Horus.
It is indicated that this force is actually incarnate in some living woman, as the result of the described magical operation. A more basic matter, however, is the indication that this force is incarnate in all men and women, and needs only to be invoked to free the spirit from the debris of the old aeon, and to direct the blind force of Horus into constructive channels of understanding and love. The methods of this invocation are described in the text.
The background of this material may be found in the Book of the Law, the Comment thereon, and other writings of Aleister Crowley; also in various magical, anthropological, psychological, and philosophical texts. These are all necessary to an understanding and use of the material.
One further point. It should be remembered that all human activities, after the vital functions are fulfilled, arise from the need to love or to be loved. It is therfore quite literally true that in understanding (i.e. that which embraces all categories of love) is all power given. A grasp of the principle of bipolarity should make this clear.
Parsons, J. (1946). Liber 49 The Book of Babalon. THE COLLECTED WRITINGS OF JACK PARSONS

Parsons and Hubbard used a system of Enochian Magic, which included sex magic.

Enochian Magic is one of the most controversial aspects of Rosicrucian Magic. Israel Regardie warned that "It is a very powerful system, and if used carelessly or indiscriminately will bring about disaster and spiritual disintegration." Paul Foster Case considered the Enochian system to be hopelessly tainted, and removed Enochian Magic entirely when he reformulated Golden Dawn material into his B. O. T. A. Donald Tyson has even suggested that Enochian Magic was revealed to John Dee as a means of setting in motion the destructive forces of the apocalypse, as described in the book of Revelation in the New Testament.
Griffin, D. J. (1999). The ritual magic manual: A complete course in practical magic. Beverly Hills, Calif: Golden Dawn Pub.

Hugh Urban in Magia Sexualis, described Crowley's use of sex magic as a powerful means to shatter the the limited rational mind and finite human ego.

However, the ultimate goal that Crowley sought through his sexual magic went far beyond the mundane desire for material wealth or mortal power. In his most exalted moments, Crowley believed that he could achieve a supreme spiritual power--the power to conceive a divine child, a godlike being, who would transcend the moral failings of the body born of mere woman. This goal of creating a divine fetus, Crowley suggests, lies at the heart of many esoteric traditions, from ancient Mesopotamia to India to the Arab world:
This is the great idea of magicians in all times--To obtain a Messiah by some adaptation of the sexual process. In Assyria they tried incest....Greeks and Syrians mostly bestiality.... The Mohammedans tried homosexuality; medieval philosophers tried to produce homunculi by making chemical experiments with semen. But the root idea is that any form of procreation other than normal is likely to produce results of a magical character.
Sex magic, particularly in its transgressive, nonreproductive forms, can thus unleash the supreme creative power: the power to create not an ordinary fetus, but a magical child of messianic potential.
Urban, H. B. (2006). Magia sexualis: Sex, magic, and liberation in modern Western esotericism. Berkeley, Calif: University of California Press. Read Chapter 4.

Crowley suspected Parsons and Hubbard of attempting to create such a magical child or "Moonchild." In a letter to Karl Germer, he wrote:

Apparently he (Parsons), or Hubbard, or somebody, is producing a Moonchild. I get fairly frantic when I contemplate the idiocy of these goats.[*]​
Carter, John, (1999) Sex and Rockets, Feral House.
[*] Other authors have quoted Crowley as writing, " I get fairly frantic when I contemplate the idiocy of these louts."

Hermetic texts associated with Babalon:
Essays on Babalon and The Babalon Working:

pineapple

能说的名字不真的名字
As an aside, I believe the Latin on the seal (middle panel) is incorrect. It should be "Sigillum Sanctae Fraternitatis." Fraternitatis ("brotherhood") is a feminine noun. The adjective sanctus ("holy") needs to agree with Fraternitatis in gender and case, so it should be Sanctae. "Sanctum," the accusative case, is completely wrong.

I don't know who cooked up the seal, but I remember reading (probably in Lawrence Sutin's bio of Crowley) that Crowley once commented ironically that Parsons' Latin was "a language which is unknown to me," so Parsons might be the culprit.

M&M

Self-Born Unicorn
As an aside, I believe the Latin on the seal (middle panel) is incorrect. It should be "Sigillum Sanctae Fraternitatis." Fraternitatis ("brotherhood") is a feminine noun.
Couldn't the translation be instead "Brotherhood of the Holy Seal", that is, Sanctum doesn't refer here to Fraternitatis but to the Sigillum. Seems more logical to me to grant sanctity to the object of veneration than to themselves as a group. :confused:

(In Latin as well as in Latin-based languages, the adjective comes after the subject, inversely as in English.)

pineapple

能说的名字不真的名字
Couldn't the translation be instead "Brotherhood of the Holy Seal", that is, Sanctum doesn't refer here to Fraternitatis but to the Sigillum. Seems more logical to me to grant sanctity to the object of veneration than to themselves as a group. :confused:

(In Latin as well as in Latin-based languages, the adjective comes after the subject, inversely as in English.)
No. Fraternitatis is the genitive (possessive) case. The nominative (subjective) is Fraternitas. If it were "Brotherhood of the Holy Seal" the translation would be "Fraternitas Sigilli Sancti."

Adjectives don't invariably follow nouns in Latin, or in Romance languages either.

M&M

Self-Born Unicorn
No. Fraternitatis is the genitive (possessive) case. The nominative (subjective) is Fraternitas. If it were "Brotherhood of the Holy Seal" the translation would be "Fraternitas Sigilli Sancti."

Adjectives don't invariably follow nouns in Latin, or in Romance languages either.
Makes sense as well (and I should have added "mostly", as to the languages). However the Holy Seal part still makes more sense to me than "Holy Brotherhood" (isn't Sigilli Sancti plural?)

Guess I'll have to review my declinations declensions (thanks:fromme: Pineapple, frenchie here :sorry: ... )

Last edited:

Caroline

clerk #2
As an aside, I believe the Latin on the seal (middle panel) is incorrect. It should be "Sigillum Sanctae Fraternitatis." Fraternitatis ("brotherhood") is a feminine noun. The adjective sanctus ("holy") needs to agree with Fraternitatis in gender and case, so it should be Sanctae. "Sanctum," the accusative case, is completely wrong.

I don't know who cooked up the seal, but I remember reading (probably in Lawrence Sutin's bio of Crowley) that Crowley once commented ironically that Parsons' Latin was "a language which is unknown to me," so Parsons might be the culprit.
Interesting comments about the language. This is how the seal is used on the title page of The Mystical & Magical System of the A.·.A.·.

a-a-the-mystical-and-magical-system-of-the-aa_0000.jpg
The seal appears again on page 200.

The seal also appears at a portal to the books and other material on the A.·.A.·.

Also here: Liber AL vel Legis sub figurâ CCXX as delivered by XCIII = 418 to DCLXVI - The Equinox Of The Gods - The Libri of Aleister Crowley - Hermetic Library

Last edited:

M&M

Self-Born Unicorn
Found this that may give some light as to Parson's tweaking of Latin wordings.

Maybe it all sums up to a search for numerological perfection above grammatical correctness...

Caroline

clerk #2
Thanks to Harpokrates for this informative and insightful post. The sigil of Babalon features the Theta (Θ) symbol, both at the top and in the center. Hubbard taught Scientologists that they are Thetans, individual units of Theta.

Liber AL vel Legis and the Illuminati Cipher
by Harpokrates » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Greetings to everyone,
This is a message that is related to an older post of mine, called “Ciphers of the Illuminati and the One Dollar bill”, which you can read in Scribd.com: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9792898/Ciphers-of-the-Illuminati-and-the-One-Dollar-bill

In this message (which will be structured in three parts) I’ll show you some recent discoveries that I’ve been making while applying the Cipher of the Illuminati
[1] to the text of Liber AL vel Legis, the holiest book of Thelema.

Please note: I personally don’t think that all these discoveries actually “prove” any claim presenting this cipher as some kind of “key of it all”. I wrote this just to show you what I have found, and it is up to all who read this to extract from it their own opinions.

In the meantime, as I presume some of you may be interested in this subject, I’ll leave here a very curious discovery made near to March 5th.
Watch the Holy Sigil of the A.’.A.’.

In it you can see the sigil of Babalon hiding the formula 77+(7+7)/7+77 = 156 (Babalon) which circles a form that resembles the greek letter Theta (Θ). Also, in the upper part of the sigil, you can see a “squared circle”, which is a primitive form of the greek letter Theta and the hebrew letter Teth. Theta is the initial of the words “Thelema” (Will) and “Therion” (the Beast), and it was also –in its primitive shape as a point within a circle– the symbol of Ra and Aton, demiurgic solar gods. In the greek isopsephia, the value of “Theta” is 318, which is the value of “Helios”, the Sun. As a side note, notice that according to the Illuminati Cipher the word “TETH” sums 51, which has the same value as “CIRCLE”, “SUN”, “HELIOS”, and “PTAH” (egyptian creator god). And by the way, according to the Illuminati Cipher, “Point within a Circle” sums 194, which is the value of “Great Central Sun”.
[2]
Besides all these considerations, which can be expanded to a greater field, notice too that all around the central Sigil of Babalon there are the words Sigillum Sanctum Fraternitatis A.’.A.’. These words are important, as it will be shown. […]

According to the Illuminati Cipher, which is this one (as exposed in Abbé Barruel's 1797 book "Memoirs illustrating the History of Jacobinism"):

A=12 ....... I,J=4 ...... R=17
B=11 ....... K=3 ........ S=18
C=10 ....... L=2 ........ T=19
D=9 ........ M=1 ........ U,V=20
E=8 ........ N=13 ....... W=21
F=7 ........ O=14 ....... X=22
G=6 ........ P=15 ....... Y=23
H=5 ........ Q=16 ....... Z=24

... the values are:

- SIGILLUM = 18+4+6+4+2+2+20+1 = 57
- SANCTUM = 18+12+13+10+19+20+1 = 93
- FRATERNITATIS = 7+17+12+19+8+17+13+4+19+12+19+4+18 = 169
- AA = 12+12 = 24

Total: 57+93+169+24 = 343

Amazingly enough, 343 is 7x7x7, and this is curious --to say the least--because there is, as seen, another very explicit numerical reference to multiple 7's.

And for the value 343, you have the following correspondences:
-> "Hoor-Pa-Kraat" + "Ra-Hoor-Khu" + "Heru-Ra-Ha" (the Horus Trinity)
-> "Igne Natura Renovatur Integra" (the I.N.R.I. formula)

After calculating the value of "Sigillum Sanctum Fraternitatis A.A." I made, however, another startling discovery. If you add the value of this sentence to the value of "BABALON" (which can be seen in the same sigil, in a circular fashion around the center) you'll have:

343 (or 7x7x7, as shown)
+
B(11) + A(12) + B(11) + A(12) + L(2) + O(14) + N(13) = 75
=
418, the qabalistic value of the Word of the Aeon (Abrahadabra)!!!

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

LIBER AL VEL LEGIS AND THE ILLUMINATI CIPHER:

And now, as promised, here's some of the stuff I've been finding lately about a curious relation between Liber AL vel Legis and the Illuminati Cipher, and how it unlocks some of the riddles in this book. Unless stated otherwise, every time I say "the Cipher" I'll be referring to the Illuminati Cipher.

––––///––––

AL I:24
– "I am Nuit and my word is six and fifty."

According to the Cipher, "Nuit" sums 56.

––––///––––

AL I:54,55
– "Change not as much as the style of a letter; for behold! thou, o prophet, shalt not behold all these mysteries hidden therein."
– "The child of thy bowels, he shall behold them."

Note that in the original manuscript of Liber AL Crowley underlined the word "he" so as to show that this word is of some importance. Applying the Cipher to this word, it's value is H(5) + E(8) = 13, which is the gematric value of the hebrew word Achad (Unity). Charles Stansfeld Jones, a.k.a. Parzival or "Frater Achad" as he's most known nowadays, was believed by many, including by Crowley himself, to have been the magical Child of the Beast 666 and the one who would reveal --and did indeed reveal to a certain extent-- some of the mysteries of AL.

––––///––––

AL II:2,3
– "Come! all ye, and learn the secret that hath not yet been revealed. I, Hadit, am the complement of Nu, my bride. I am not extended, and Khabs is the name of my House."
– "In the sphere I am everywhere the centre, as she, the circumference, is nowhere found."

In these verses we are presented to the symbol of the union of Nuit (or Nu) and Hadit, which are respectively represented by the all-encompassing circle ("the circumference") and the infinitesimal point in the centre of the circle. There is no need for further explanations about this symbol, because most of them have been signaled already in this and other topics. By the way, I would like to point out verse 8 of the first chapter of Liber AL, in light of these two verses:

AL I:8 – "The Khabs is in the Khu, not the Khu in the Khabs."

If Khabs (the Point) is Hadit, and Khu (the Circle) is Nuit, as it seems to be, it is curious to note two very interesting equivalences:
– Khabs = 49 = Hadit
– Khu = 28, and 2x28 = 56 = Nuit

––––///––––

AL II:55
– "Thou shalt obtain the order & value of the English Alphabet; thou shalt find new symbols to attribute them unto."

Even though, as far as I know, there isn't any direct reference to the Illuminati Cipher in this verse, it should be noticed that this cipher indeed answers this purpose. There is a peculiar order for the letters in the Cipher, according to their value, and also a set of symbols that correspond to the alphabet. However, interestingly enough, "Illuminati Cipher" = 140 = "English Alphabet". Replace "English Alphabet" by "Illuminati Cipher" and the text remains logical!

And here's some other correspondences for the number 140, according to the same cipher: "Harpokrates", "Hoor Pa Kraat", "Love under Will", "To Mega Therion", "Prophet of Had", "Great Old Ones", and finally, "Flying Saucer". Heheh
;)

––––///––––

AL II:75,76
– "Aye! listen to the numbers & the words:"
– "4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L. What meaneth this, o prophet? Thou knowest not; nor shalt thou know ever. There cometh one to follow thee: he shall expound it. But remember, o chosen one, to be me; to follow the love of Nu in the star-lit heaven; to look forth upon men, to tell them this glad word."

I've tried to get any kind of clue to solve this riddle by using the Illuminati Cipher but, unfortunately, the result has been completely unsatisfactory. Anyway, if you add the values of the numbers and the words you'll get 383, which is the 76th prime number (the number of the verse in which the riddle appears). Also, half 76 is 38, which resembles the total of the riddle, 383. This is all I've got so far, but I doubt it has any "practical" meaning at all.

––––///––––

AL III:1
– "Abrahadabra; the reward of Ra Hoor Khut."

I know this could be called "cheating", but if you use Ra Hoor Khuit (notice the "i" in Khuit) instead of Ra Hoor Khut, both words share exactly the same value:
"Abrahadabra" = 130 = "Ra Hoor Khuit", and also "Book of the Law".

Using Ra Hoor Khut, it's value becomes 126, which is the same as "Ankh-f-n-Khonsu" (the Scribe of the Stele of Revealing).

––––///––––

AL III:22
– "The other images group around me to support me: let all be worshipped, for they shall cluster to exalt me. I am the visible object of worship; the others are secret; for the Beast & his Bride are they: and for the winners of the Ordeal x. What is this? Thou shalt know."

It is commonly thought that the Ordeal X refers to the experience of Crossing (X) the Abyss, where the Adeptus Exemptus faces the "demon" Choronzon and either is able to "spill every drop of his blood into the Chalice of Babalon" (that is, to overcome dualism and sacrifice one's attachments to fear, desire, hate, indiscriminate love, power, and even all worldly possessions) thus becoming a Master of the Temple, or he fails to do so and becomes a "Black Brother", who acts according to the choronzonic principles of Restriction and Dispersion. In the Tree of Life, the Abyss is represented by Daath, the "non-sephirah" which corresponds to Knowledge.

The Illuminati Cipher sheds some light on this, as "Ordeal X" sums 84, which is the value of "Knowledge" (=Daath).

––––///––––

AL III:35
– "The half of the word of Heru-ra-ha, called Hoor-pa-kraat and Ra-Hoor-Khut."

If we use "H.P.K." for Hoor-pa-Kraat and "R.H.K." for Ra-Hoor-Khut, we'll see that HPK + RHK sums 48, which is *half* the value of "Heru Ra Ha" (96).

––––///––––

AL III:47
– "This book shall be translated into all tongues: but always with the original in the writing of the Beast; for in the chance shape of the letters and their position to one another: in these are mysteries that no Beast shall divine. Let him not seek to try: but one cometh after him, whence I say not, who shall discover the Key of it all. Then this line drawn is a key: then this circle squared in its failure is a key also. And Abrahadabra. It shall be his child & that strangely. Let him not seek after this; for thereby alone can he fall from it."

In order to show what I've discovered through this verse I would like to make some considerations on Ra Hoor Khuit, the Lord of the Aeon, and the symbol of the point within the circle. In this message we've seen that the Point within the Circle clearly is an important symbol in Thelema: it represents the two principles of Nuit (the circle, all-encompassing) and Hadit (the point, "nowhere to be found"), and these are some kind of "patron deities" of the first two chapters of Liber AL. The third chapter clearly has the mark of the Lord of War and of Vengeance, Ra Hoor Khuit, and is represented by the Point within the Circle, an obvious symbol for the Sun which was --and continues to be-- used with the same meaning. We've seen also that the point within the circle is an ancient form of the letters Theta (greek) and Teth (hebrew) and these are very important because they represent:

1) the initial of the words "Thelema" (Will) and "Therion" (Beast), and of several other equally interesting greek words. Also, the value of the name of the letter Theta (Θητα) is 318, the value of Helios (Ήλιος), the Sun, and the Lord of the Aeon (RHK) is, as Crowley calls him, a Solar-Phallic Deity.

2) the mystery of Babalon and the Beast conjoined. This is shown in Atu XI, "Lust", which corresponds to the hebrew letter Teth and depicts the Scarlet Woman holding a Chalice and riding a 7-headed Beast. Also, notice that in this card, the tail of the Beast is in the shape of the gnostic symbol of the Lion-Serpent, or the Demiurge, the Solar-Phallic Force of Creation.

With this said, let us begin to analyze some key words and expressions in the verse:

-> "Then this line drawn is a key:"

In 1989, Gerald Suster explained a very simple way to decode the riddle of AL II:76, by using this little sentence as a clue, and this was published in the journal Nuit-Isis. I would recommend you to read George T. Mortimer's excellent book "The Key Of It All", which is available online, in order to better understand how Gerald Suster's intelligent solution works. Anyway, the most important part of it is that by using the "line drawn" in the manuscript of Liber AL (which goes from the letter C to the line corresponding to 7) and creating a new cipher with it (in which C=7, D=8, ..., V=26, W=1, X=2, etc) the sum of the values of all the numbers and words in AL II:76 is 419, which is the value of the letter Teth written in full (TYTh = 9+10+400 = 419).

-> "then this circle squared in its failure is a key also."

It is a "circle squared in its failure" because it is a circle *almost* squared: the four ends of the “X” aren’t connected to the circumference. If the circle was perfectly squared, it would be similar to the early form of the letters Theta (greek: Θ) and Teth (hebrew: ט), and thus synonymous with the Point within the Circle.

-> "And Abrahadabra."

And Abrahadabra! Very effective clue! In hebrew, the value of Abrahadabra is 418 which is one less --"one to follow thee"!-- than 419 (the value of Teth written in full).

––––///––––

AL III:49,50
– "I am in a secret fourfold word, the blasphemy against all gods of men."
– "Curse them! Curse them! Curse them!"

The secret fourfold word is Θητα, Theta (4-lettered in greek), which is the blasphemy against all gods of men because it represents the Point in the Circle, the Lord of the Aeon, and the Word of the Law ("Thelema", beginning by a greek Theta). Besides, the three sentences in AL III:50 (3x "Curse them!") have a total value of 318, according to the Illuminati Cipher, which is the value of Theta written in full (Θητα), according to the greek isopsephia.

A curious discovery on June 5th 2009:

I calculated the total value of the motto of the A.•.A.•., “The method of science, the aim of religion”, and obtained the following result:

“The method of science” = 180
“the aim of religion” = 138

180 plus 138 equals 318, precisely the value of the letter Theta written in full.

––––///––––

These have been the most important discoveries that I've made with the Illuminati Cipher while analyzing some passages of Liber AL vel Legis, but any other major discovery will, of course, be posted online too. In the meantime, any kind of comment, correction or whatever feedback you wish to send, will be most appreciated.

To conclude, here's some other correspondences that I've discovered that are related to Thelema, the mottos in the 1 Dollar bill, secret societies, organizations and people, new age cults, etc:

169 = "Hoor Paar Kraat" = "Annuit Coeptis" = "E Pluribus Unum" = "Eye in the Pyramid" = "Eye in the Triangle" = "Illuminati Bavaria"

"Novus Ordo Seclorum" = 229 = "The Equinox of the Gods"
"Great White Brotherhood" = 252 = "United States of America"

H.G.A. = 23 = H.P.K.
(the Holy Guardian Angel is Hoor-Paar-Kraat)

Atenai = 68 = Jehovah = Jesus = Sophia = Lucifer = Beast = Phallos
Atonai = 74 = Yahweh = Yeshu = Madonna = Satan = Horus = Phallus
(Both ATENAI and ATONAI are word-plays based on the equivalence between Aten / Aton, the One Solar God of the Amarna period, and Adonai, the hebrew word for "Lord")

Liber Legis = 80 = Therion = Higher Self = Hiram Abiff = Shambhalla

Aiwass = 85 = Baphomet = Bafomitr = "Fallen Angel" = "Holy Grail" = Sorath = Arcanum

Big Brother = 112 = All-Seeing Eye = Khabs Am Pekht = Capricorn = Caput Algol

Ankh-f-n-Khonsu = 126 = Ra-Hoor-Khut
Abrahadabra = 130 = Ra-Hoor-Khuit = Book of the Law

Aleister Crowley = 183 = Argentum Astrum = "As Above, So Below" = Azure-lidded woman
Ala'aster-a-dekerval = 191 = Aleister E. Crowley = Argenteum Astrum = "Number of the Beast"
(The name "Ala'aster-a-dekerval" was taken by me from Liber 231)

"Priest of the Princes" = 219 = "Threefold Book of the Law"

“Great Wild Beast” = 166 = “Stele of Revealing”

"Crowned and Conquering Child" = 277 = "I am alone: there is no God where I am"

93 = “True Will” = “Divine Self” = “Kristos” = “Sun + Moon” = “Circle + Dot” = “Pineal Eye” = “Third Eye”

Best regards,
Luís (Alektryon)

AL III:47
– “This book shall be translated into all tongues: but always with the original in the writing of the Beast; for in the chance shape of the letters and their position to one another: in these are mysteries that no Beast shall divine. Let him not seek to try: but one cometh after him, whence I say not, who shall discover the Key of it all. Then this line drawn is a key: then this circle squared in its failure is a key also. And Abrahadabra. It shall be his child & that strangely. Let him not seek after this; for thereby alone can he fall from it.”

Key 11 Lust (Thoth)
In order to show what I’ve discovered through this verse I would like to make some considerations on Ra Hoor Khuit, the Lord of the Aeon, and the symbol of the point within the circle. In this message we’ve seen that the Point within the Circle clearly is an important symbol in Thelema: it represents the two principles of Nuit (the circle, all-encompassing) and Hadit (the point, “nowhere to be found”), and these are some kind of “patron deities” of the first two chapters of Liber AL. The third chapter clearly has the mark of the Lord of War and of Vengeance, Ra Hoor Khuit, and is represented by the Point within the Circle, an obvious symbol for the Sun which was –and continues to be– used with the same meaning. We’ve seen also that the point within the circle is an ancient form of the letters Theta (greek) and Teth (hebrew) and these are very important because they represent:

1) the initial of the words “Thelema” (Will) and “Therion” (Beast), and of several other equally interesting greek words. Also, the value of the name of the letter Theta (Θητα) is 318, the value of Helios (Ήλιος), the Sun, and the Lord of the Aeon (RHK) is, as Crowley calls him, a Solar-Phallic Deity.

2) the mystery of Babalon and the Beast conjoined. This is shown in Atu XI, “Lust”, which corresponds to the hebrew letter Teth and depicts the Scarlet Woman holding a Chalice and riding a 7-headed Beast. Also, notice that in this card, the tail of the Beast is in the shape of the gnostic symbol of the Lion-Serpent, or the Demiurge, the Solar-Phallic Force of Creation.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100615015313/http://heruraha.net/viewtopic.php?p=27378

1. From The Magical Revival by Kenneth Grant: “The Point within the Circle, the symbol of the Illuminati, is not only the hierogram of the Sun and of the god Horus, but, in Crowley’s system, is also symbolic of the union of Nuit and Hadit, which are emblematic of Consciousness and its projection as a ray of light. The union of the Circle (Nuit) and the Point (Hadit) formulates their “child”, or combined wills, expressed as Ra-Hoor-Khuit. The Circle and the Point also represent the abstract expressions of Love and Will, twin components of the magical equation known as the Law of Thelema.” (p. 12)
  2. Hubbard discussed the point in the circle in this lecture, and associated it with theta.

Last edited:

Caroline

clerk #2
More about Babalon and Theta:

Key 11 Lust (Thoth)
[... Repeating part of Harpokrates' post] We’ve seen also that the point within the circle is an ancient form of the letters Theta (greek) and Teth (hebrew) and these are very important because they represent:

1) the initial of the words “Thelema” (Will) and “Therion” (Beast), and of several other equally interesting greek words. Also, the value of the name of the letter Theta (Θητα) is 318, the value of Helios (Ήλιος), the Sun, and the Lord of the Aeon (RHK) is, as Crowley calls him, a Solar-Phallic Deity.

2) the mystery of Babalon and the Beast conjoined. This is shown in Atu XI, “Lust”, which corresponds to the hebrew letter Teth and depicts the Scarlet Woman holding a Chalice and riding a 7-headed Beast. Also, notice that in this card, the tail of the Beast is in the shape of the gnostic symbol of the Lion-Serpent, or the Demiurge, the Solar-Phallic Force of Creation.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100615015313/http://heruraha.net/viewtopic.php?p=27378

From Book 4 Liber Aba, Chapter VII The Cup:

AS the Magick Wand is the Will, the Wisdom, the Word of the Magician, so is the Magick Cup his Understanding. This is the cup of which it was written: “Father, if it be Thy Will, let this cup pass from Me!” And again: “Can ye drink of the cup that I drink of?”

And it is also the cup in the hand of OUR LADY BABALON, and the cup of the Sacrament.

This Cup is full of bitterness, and of blood, and of intoxication.

The Understanding of the Magus is his link with the Invisible, on the passive side.

His Will errs actively by opposing itself to the Universal Will.

His Understanding errs passively when it receives influence from that which is not the ultimate truth.

In the beginning the Cup of the student is almost empty; and even such truth as he receives may leak away, and be lost.

They say that the Venetians made glasses which changed colour if poison was put into them; of such a glass must the student make his Cup.

Very little experience on the mystic path will show him that of all the impressions he receives none is true. Either they are false in themselves, or they are wrongly interpreted in his mind.

There is one truth, and only one. All other thoughts are false.

And as he advances in the knowledge of his mind he will come to understand that its whole structure is so faulty that it is quite incapable, even in its most exalted moods, of truth.

He will recognize that any thought merely establishes a relation between the Ego and the non-Ego.

Kant has shown that even the laws of nature are but the conditions of thought. And as the current of thought is the blood of the mind, it is said that the Magick Cup is filled with the blood of the Saints. All thought must be offered up as a sacrifice.

The Cup can hardly be described as a weapon. It is round like the pantacle – not straight like the wand and the dagger. Reception, not projection, is its nature.[21]

[21] As the Magician is in the position of God towards the Spirit that he evokes, he stands in the Circle, and the spirit in the Triangle; so the Magician is in the Triangle with respect to his own God.

From the Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary:

THETA,
1. theta is thought, life force, elan vital, the spirit, the soul, or any other of the numerous definitions it has had for some thousands of years. (SOS, p. 4) 2. the life force, life energy, divine energy, elan vital, or by any other name, the energy peculiar to life which acts upon material in the physical universe and animates it, mobilizes it and changes it. It is susceptible to alteration in character or vibration, at which time it becomes enturbulated theta or entheta. (SOS, Bk. 2, p. 21) 3. theta is thought; an energy of its own universe analogous to energy in the physical universe but only occasionally paralleling electromagnetic-gravitic laws. The three primary components of theta are affinity, reality, and communication. (SOS, Bk. 2, p. 3) 4. reason, serenity, stability, happiness, cheerful emotion, persistence, and the other factors which man ordinarily considers desirable. (SOS, Bk. 2, p. 12) 5. an energy existing separate and distinct from the physical universe. (SOS, p. 4) 6. Greek for thought or life or the spirit. (Aud 10 UK) 7. not a nothingness. It just happens to be an exterior thing to this universe–so you couldn’t talk about it in this universe’s terms. (PDC 6)

As we know from basic Scientology indoctrination, Affinity, Reality and Communication are the three points of the ARC triangle, which add up to Understanding. The ARC triangle is the lower triangle in the Scientology symbol.

UNDERSTANDING, 1. understanding is composed of affinity, reality and communication. (SH Spec 79, 6609C01) 2. knowingness could simply be a potential understanding. It could be an ability being carried forward, an action taking place; understanding is an action. Understanding is knowingness of life to a certain direction and object and thing or action. The understanding is knowingness in action. We break down this and we get affinity, reality and communication. (5411CM05) 3. understanding is a sort of a total solvent, it’s the universal solvent, it washes away everything. (SH Spec 79, 6609C01)
Hubbard, L. R. (1975). Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary, Los Angeles: Church of Scientology of California Publications Organization.

pineapple

能说的名字不真的名字

After sleeping on it, I realized it's actually correct as it stands. Sanctum modifies Sigillum (neuter nominative singular), not Fraternitatis, like you suggested. So you were on the right track. But it means "Holy Seal of the Brotherhood," not "Brotherhood of the Holy Seal."

In other words I made a big fuss over nothing. Sorry.

pineapple

能说的名字不真的名字
Makes sense as well (and I should have said "mostly"). However the Holy Seal part still makes more sense to me than "Holy Brotherhood" (isn't Sigilli Sancti plural?)

Guess I'll have to review my declinations...
You were correct about the Holy Seal part. See my last post.

No, Sigilli Sancti is genitive singular. Sigillum is 2nd declension neuter. Nominative plural would be Sigilla Sancta.
Screenshot 2019-10-13 at 2.45.11 PM.png

M&M

Self-Born Unicorn
After sleeping on it, I realized it's actually correct as it stands. Sanctum modifies Sigillum (neuter nominative singular), not Fraternitatis, like you suggested. So you were on the right track. But it means "Holy Seal of the Brotherhood," not "Brotherhood of the Holy Seal."

In other words I made a big fuss over nothing. Sorry.
I must be confusing gender plurals with another language. Thanks and no fuss at all, just an interesting and fruitful discussion ☺🍀
"Holy Seal of the Brotherhood" seems indeed the correct answer. Describing itself. I haven't been reading much Latin since almost half a century (and I was terrible though very imaginative at translating it in high school, lol... But your last version made click and cleared the picture so I'll definitely go with it 😊

Last edited:

Caroline

clerk #2
So, "Holy Seal of the Brotherhood." Thanks.

I located a further explanation of the seal: "The Holy Seal of the A.·.A.·." The A.·.A.·. identifies with "The Great White Brotherhood."

Crowley's "One Star in Sight" provides a "glimpse into the structure and system of the Great White Brotherhood." (The Magical & Mystical System of the A.·.A.·., Page 202)

Parsons, who identified with an entity Belarion Armillus Al Dajjal, the Antichrist, called Christianity the "Black Brotherhood" in his "Manifesto of the Antichrist." Hubbard revealed his Antichrist identity in his confidential OT VIII Student Briefing.

There are two mentions of the Black Brothers in The Magical & Mystical System of the A.·.A.·.

First, in the section "Beyond The Rosy Cross," where in a footnote, the author distinguishes the black Brothers from the Great White Brotherhood:

The Magical & Mystical System of the A.·.A.·. said:
BEYOND THE ROSY CROSS

Adeptus (Exemptus). - Completes in perfection all these matters [of previous grades]. He then either (a) becomes a Brother of the Left Hand Path or, (b) is stripped of all his attainments and of himself as well, even of his Holy Guardian Angel, and becomes a Babe of the Abyss, who, having transcended the Reason, does nothing but grow in the womb of its mother.​
He must then decide upon the critical adventure of our Order: the absolute abandonment of himself and his attainments. He cannot remain indefinitely an Exempt Adept: he is pushed onward by the irresistible momentum that he has generated. - One Star in Sight​

[...]

The transition from Chesed to Binah is unique in a couple of ways. For one (already mentioned), there is no direct Path marking this transition on the Tree of Life. For another, both Chesed and Binah are attributed to Water. At no other point on the Tree has the transition been from a sephirah of a given element into another of the same element. In this is a particular symbol, which the Exempt Adept easily will understand.

There are those, however, who are unwilling to make the transition. Their ego-centers still hold sway over their deeper being. Ultimately, they are afraid to die. This is the same as saying that they are afraid to love, which is equally true. Even as the self is lost in the Beloved in the depths of love - even as the ego softens or surrenders its warding and defining barriers in the rapture of orgasm - so is the Fear of Death always a Fear of Love. Those who thus fear are known as the Black Brothers. [25] This is not the same as a "black magician," who is generally of a much lower grade, and a much more ridiculous phenomenon. Nor is it the same as the Black School of Magick, which, with the White and Yellow Schools, form a triad of root philosophies among the world's initiates. [26] Finally, the term is not racially motivated. The basis for the "black" metaphor will be evident in the quotations that follow. For now. you simply need to know that a Black Brother is a very advanced initiate, an Adeptus Exemptus, who from an unexpunged fear (often masked by other, hollow motives) resists the natural forward momentum that otherwise would have carried her, naturally and in the proper hour, into the embrace of the Third Order.

We find this natural process (which the Black Brother resists) documented in the A.·.A.·. History Lection, Liber 61. vv. 27-28:
In the fullness of time, even as a blossoming tree that beareth fruit in its season, all these pains were ended, and these adepts [Fras D.D.S. and O.M.] and their companions obtained the reward which they had sought - they were to be admitted to the Eternal and Invisible Order that hath no name among men.​
________
[25] In contrast to the "Great White Brotherhood” by which the A.·.A.·. identities itself. These terms are not in the least racist in original intent, although (with today’s resurgence of violent and intolerant "while supremacist" bigotry), we tend to employ the term "Great White Brotherhood” very sparingly. I suppose recalcitrant female Adepti Exempti are legitimately called “Black Sisters,” despite the entirely different menial picture that phrase brings to mind!
[26] See "The Three Schools of Magick" in Magick Without Tears, letters 6-8.

The phenomena of the Black Brothers are discussed in many places, including The Vision & the Voice; Magick in Theory & Practice, Cap. XXI. Sec. 1 and elsewhere; Magick Without Tears, Letters 12 and 50 and elsewhere; and Liber Aleph in diverse places.

We close this section with two lengthy passages on this final choice.

From Liber Aleph, Cap 104:

Of the Black Brothers, o my Son, will I write these Things following. I have told thee already concerning Change, how it is the Law, because every Change is an Act of Love under Will. So then he that is Adept Exempt, whether in Our Holy Order or another, may not remain in the Pillar of Mercy, because it is not balanced, but is unstable. Therefore is the Choice given unto him, whether he will destroy his Temple, and give up his Life, extending it to Universal Life [27] or whether he will​
________
[27] See Liber Cheth, v. 3 The Exempt Adept remains a discrete individual, albeit living in service to the Universal.

make a Fortress about that Temple, and abide therein, in the false Sphere of Daäth, which is in the Abyss. And to the Adepts of Our Holy Order this Choice is terrible, by cause that they must abandon even Him whose Knowledge and Conversation they have attained. Yet, o my Son, they have much Help of Our Order in this Æon, because the General Formula is Love, so that their Habit itself urgeth them to the Bed of Our Lady BABALON. Know then the Black Brothers by these True Signs of their Initiation of iniquity, that they resist Change, restrict and deny Love, fear Death. Percutiantur.​

From Magick in Theory & Practice, Cap. VII. Sec. 1 (a portion of which has been quoted already in the preceding chapter):

The Hieroglyph shewn in the Seventh Key of the Tarot (described in the I2th Æthyr, Liber 418 Equinox I, V) is the Charioteer of OUR LADY BABALON whose Cup or Graal he bears.​

Now this is an important formula. It is the First of the Formulæ in a sense, for it is the formula of Renunciation. [28] It is also the Last!​
The Cup is said to be full of the Blood of the Saints: that is, every “saint" or magician must give the last drop of his life’s blood to that cup. It is the original price paid for magick power. And if by magick power we mean the true power, the assimilation of all force with the Ultimate Light, the true Bridal of the Rosy Cross, then is that blood the offering of Virginity, the sole sacrifice well-pleasing to the Master, the sacrifice whose only reward is the pain of child-bearing unto him.​
But 'to sell one's soul to the devil', to renounce no matter what for an equivalent in personal gain,[29] is black magic. You are no longer a noble giver of your all, but a mean huckster.​
This formula is, however, a little different in symbolism, since it is a Woman whose Cup must be filled. It is rather the sacrifice of the Man, who transfers life to his descendants...​
But here the formula implies much more even than this. For it is his whole life that the Magus offers to OUR LADY. The Cross is both Death and Generation, and it is on the Cross that the Rose blooms. The full significance of these symbols is so lofty that it is hardly fitted for an elementary treatise of this type. One must be an Exempt Adept, and have become ready to pass on. before one can see the symbols even from the lower plane. Only a Master of the Temple can fully understand them.​
________​
[28] There is no moral implication here. But to choose A implies to refuse not-A: at least, that is so, below the Abyss." - A.C.
[29] "Supposed personal gain. There is really no person to gain; so the whole transaction is a swindle on both sides!" - A.C.
Emphasis in original.

A description of "Black Brother" appears in section 8. The Grade of Adeptus Exemptus:

8. The Grade of Adeptus Exemptus confers authority to govern the two lower Orders of R.C. and G.D.

The Adept must prepare and publish a thesis setting forth His knowledge of the Universe, and his proposals for its welfare and progress. He will thus be known as the leader of a school of thought.

(Eliphas Levi's Clef des Grands Mystères, the works of Swedenborg, von Eckartshausen, Robert Fludd, Paracelsus, Newton, Bolyai, Hinton, Berkeley, Loyola, etc., etc., are examples of such essays.)

He will have attained all but the supreme summits of meditation, and should be already prepared to perceive that the only possible course for him is to devote himself utterly to helping his fellow creatures.

To attain the Grade of Magister Templi, he must perform two tasks[5]; the emancipation from thought by putting each idea against its opposite, and refusing to prefer either; and the consecration of himself as a pure vehicle for the influence of the order to which he aspires.

He must then decide upon the critical adventure of our Order; the absolute abandonment of himself and his attainments. He cannot remain indefinitely an Exempt Adept: he is pushed onward by the irresistible momentum that he has generated.

Should he fail, by will or weakness, to make his self-annihilation absolute, he is none the less thrust forth into the Abyss; but instead of being received and reconstructed in the Third Order, as a Babe in the womb of our LADY BABALON, under the Night of Pan, to grow up to be Himself wholly and truly as He was not previously, he remains in the Abyss, secreting his elements round his Ego as if isolated from the Universe, and becomes what is called a "Black Brother.” Such a being is gradually disintegrated from lack of nourishment and the slow but certain action of the attraction of the rest of the Universe, despite his now desperate efforts to insulate and protect himself, and to aggrandise himself by predatory practices. He may indeed prosper for a while, but in the end he must perish, especially when with a new Æon a new word is proclaimed which he cannot and will not hear, so that he is handicapped by trying to use an obsolete method of Magick. like a man with a boomerang in a battle where everyone else has a rifle.
________
[5] These pertain, respectively, to the Paths of [?], Gemini, The Lovers; and [?] Cancer, The Chariot, which attain unto Binah. -ED.
Emphasis mine.

Caroline

clerk #2
A bit more qabalistic info relating Babalon, Binah, and Understanding/Theta.

Crowley's Tree of Life diagrams show BABALON, BINAH and UNDERSTANDING in the same position:

Repeating parts of a couple of quotes, for context with Crowley's attributions:

The transition from Chesed to Binah is unique in a couple of ways. For one (already mentioned), there is no direct Path marking this transition on the Tree of Life. For another, both Chesed and Binah are attributed to Water. At no other point on the Tree has the transition been from a sephirah of a given element into another of the same element. In this is a particular symbol, which the Exempt Adept easily will understand.

There are those, however, who are unwilling to make the transition. Their ego-centers still hold sway over their deeper being. Ultimately, they are afraid to die. This is the same as saying that they are afraid to love, which is equally true. Even as the self is lost in the Beloved in the depths of love - even as the ego softens or surrenders its warding and defining barriers in the rapture of orgasm - so is the Fear of Death always a Fear of Love. Those who thus fear are known as the Black Brothers.
The next diagram shows the false or hidden sephirah of Daäth, lying between Chesed and Binah:

From Kenneth Grant's Glossary in Nightside of Eden:
Kenneth Grant said:
Daäth: (Heb): The eleventh cosmic power-zone; sometimes called the 'false' sephira. Daäth is the gateway to the 'other' world - Universe B - sentinelled by the Beast 666 (Shugal-Choronzon), hence its association with death as the formula of transition from the phenomenal world of appearance to its source in noumenon; the absence of the apparent and the presence of the real.
The Magical & Mystical System of the A.·.A.·. quoted Crowley said:
From Liber Aleph, Cap 104:

Of the Black Brothers, o my Son, will I write these Things following. I have told thee already concerning Change, how it is the Law, because every Change is an Act of Love under Will. So then he that is Adept Exempt, whether in Our Holy Order or another, may not remain in the Pillar of Mercy, because it is not balanced, but is unstable. Therefore is the Choice given unto him, whether he will destroy his Temple, and give up his Life, extending it to Universal Life [27] or whether he will
________
[27] See Liber Cheth, v. 3 The Exempt Adept remains a discrete individual, albeit living in service to the Universal.

make a Fortress about that Temple, and abide therein, in the false Sphere of Daäth, which is in the Abyss. And to the Adepts of Our Holy Order this Choice is terrible, by cause that they must abandon even Him whose Knowledge and Conversation they have attained. Yet, o my Son, they have much Help of Our Order in this Æon, because the General Formula is Love, so that their Habit itself urgeth them to the Bed of Our LADY BABALON. Know then the Black Brothers by these True Signs of their Initiation of iniquity, that they resist Change, restrict and deny Love, fear Death. Percutiantur.
Emphasis mine.

The above footnote reminded me of these affirmations of Hubbard's, and how they could relate to the true signs of his initiation:

The Admissions of L. Ron Hubbard said:
  • There was one error in that book and you have psychically willed it into nothing. It was the electronic theory of the workings of the human mind. Human, material minds do work this way and you were right. Your own mind does not work this way. You have great spiritual strength. Your mind is not material. It does not react like any human mind. Whatever is fed to your mind can be sorted out. You can forget at will. Men’s facts fed to you need not affect your thought if they are a part of the lives and mores and morals of men. Your thought processes do not warp on facts which are fed to you. You can receive sense messages and remember them but you need not add them into your own thought processes.

• You use the minds of men. They do not use your mind or affect it in any way. You have a sacred spiritual mind, too strong, too high to be touched. Your league with Higher Beings, your mighty Guardian and the All Powerful, renders you beyond all human criticism.

• (l) That I wrote a great book in The One Command and that it removed all my fears even until now, except that my chapters on the mind do not affect my own mind. That I have will power and great mental control. That I need not associate anything unless I wish.
    https://scientology-research.org/the-admissions-of-l-ron-hubbard-re-ron-the-magus/

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
I can see why Hubbard felt the need to get rid of Sarah Northrop and make her an "un-person" once he started Dianetics -- Sarah knew too much of Hubbard's part in the occult.

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
I can see why Hubbard felt the need to get rid of Sarah Northrop and make her an "un-person" once he started Dianetics -- Sarah knew too much of Hubbard's part in the occult.
If you're saying Hubbard left her, that's wrong, she left him.

Zertel

Just for curiosity how does such a large amount of information get transferred from its original source to a forum like this? Does it already exist on the internet and get transferred by copy and paste? What about information from books? Is there some sort of scanning technology to allow transfer to the internet?

Going back to Scn Hubbard studied Gustav LeBons Crowd Psychology and Belles Lettres on rhetoric, both of which can be read on the internet so the tech exists, but is this tech available at reasonable cost to anyone?

Last edited:

Caroline

clerk #2
If you're saying Hubbard left her, that's wrong, she left him.
Sara Northrup ("Soror Cassap") had been involved in the OTO at the Agapé Lodge for a few years before she and Hubbard began their sexual relationship. Possibly the most detailed account of Sara's history and involvement with the OTO and Parsons is included in Martin P. Starr's The Unknown God: W. T. Smith and the Thelemites.

There is also a considerable public record of Sara's history with Hubbard, her active participation in his Allied Enterprises scam, launching of Dianetics, the Alexis kidnapping, their divorce, etc. Here is the collection of documents I've tagged with her name: Sara Northrup Hubbard > Scientology Research

Sara was with Hubbard between 1945 and 1951. It seems likely that she also had access to the OTO materials Hubbard had "wormed out of Parsons." (Grant, K. The Magical Revival) In 1949, Hubbard wrote to his agent Forrest Ackerman about her work on Excalibur:

In a letter to Forrest Ackerman Hubbard said:
Wanted to tell you that Sara is beating out her wits on fiction and is having to do this DARK SWORD -cause and cure of nervous tension – properly – THE SCIENCE OF MIND, really EXCALIBUR – in fits, so far, however she has recovered easily from each fit. It will be considerably delayed because of this. Good as my word, however, I shall ship it along just as soon as decent. Then you can rape women without their knowing it, communicate suicide messages to your enemies as they sleep, sell the Arroyo Seco parkway to the mayor for cash, evolve the best way of protecting or destroying communism, and other handy house hold hints. If you go crazy, remember you were warned.
Hubbard letter to Forrest Ackerman (1949)

Last edited: