Hubbard and the Babalon Working

Hatshepsut

In perhaps his most famous letter to Crowley, Parsons says Hubbard [also] called his Guardian Angel "the Empress." From John Symonds' biography of Aleister Crowley, The Beast 666:

In the spring of 1945, Parsons met a new aspirant to the Great Work, a young man called Ron Hubbard. Hubbard’s magical potential was very great and he made a considerable impression upon the members of Agapé Lodge, especially on Betty, the mistress of Dr Parsons; she soon found herself sleeping with him.
Frater 210 (Dr Parsons) was not unduly upset about this; for he had decided to follow even more closely in the Beast’s footsteps and find, by magical means, a Scarlet Woman, his own true Whore of the Stars. He proposed, in other words, to attract an elemental or familiar spirit:

About three months ago I met Ron Hubbard…[Parsons wrote in July 1945 to Crowley whom he addressed as ‘Most Beloved Father’] he is a writer and explorer…a gentleman; he has red hair, green eyes, is honest and intelligent, and we have become great friends. He moved in with me about two months ago, and although Betty and I are still friendly, she has transferred her sexual affection to Ron. I cared for her rather deeply but I have no desire to control her emotions. Although Ron has no formal training in Magick, he has an extraordinary amount of experience and understanding in the field. From some of his experiences I deduced that he is in direct touch with some higher intelligence, possibly his Guardian Angel. He describes his Angel as a beautiful winged woman with red hair whom he calls the Empress…He is the most Thelemic person I have ever met and is in complete accord with our own principles. He is also interested in establishing the New Aeon. Thy son, John.

Symonds, J., & Symonds, J. (1997). The Beast 666. London: Pindar.

Crowley described "the Empress" in The Book of Thoth:

View attachment 792This card is attributed to the letter Daleth, which means a door, and it refers to the planet Venus. This card is, on the face of it, the complement of The Emperor; but her attributions are much more universal.
View attachment 793On the Tree of Life, Daleth is the path leading from Chokmah to Binah, uniting the Father with the Mother. Daleth is one of the three paths which are altogether above the Abyss. There is further more the alchemical symbol of Venus, the only one of the planetary symbols which comprises all the Sephiroth of the Tree of Life. The doctrine implied is that the fundamental formula of the Universe is Love. [The circle touches the Sephiroth I, 2, 4, 6, 5, 3; the Cross is formed by 6, 9, 10 and 7, 8.]
It is impossible to summarize the meanings of the symbol of the Woman, for this very reason, that she continually recurs in infinitely varied form. “Many-throned, many-minded, many-wiled, daughter of Zeus.”
[...]
At the back of the card is the Arch or Door, which is the interpretation of the letter Daleth. This card, summed up, may be called the Gate of Heaven. But, because of the beauty of the symbol, because of its omniform presentation, the student who is dazzled by any given manifestation may be led astray. In no other card is it so necessary to disregard the parts, to concentrate upon the whole.
Source: The Atu (Keys or Trumps) - The Book of Thoth - The Libri of Aleister Crowley - Hermetic Library
Thankyou Caroline. It hit me in a flash, the day after my query about the 'name' of Hubbard's guardian angle. I realized it was the Empress...with her red hair. Thank goodness for the 'file clerk' or whatever phenomena it is. The answers to our trivial questions drop down out of the ethers like gumballs, but unlike Caroline, supply no docs. :flirteyes:

Last edited:

Caroline

clerk #2
Thankyou Caroline. It hit me in a flash, the day after my query about the 'name' of Hubbard's guardian angle. I realized it was the Empress...with her red hair. Thank goodness for the 'file clerk' or whatever phenomena it is. The answers to our trivial questions drop down out of the ethers like gumballs, but unlike Caroline, supply no docs. :flirteyes:
Aw, thanks. Re: gumball warning::omg: :hide:

It seems that hair color was very important to Hubbard, but I hadn't really focused on the hair color of Flavia/Empress until we started talking about the angel. Hubbard made his own red hair famous, including in Hymn of Asia, as Hugh Urban points out in The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion:

But perhaps the most audacious claim for his ties to Eastern religions appeared in a poem of Hubbard's entitled "Hymn of Asia," said to have been composed on the occasion of the Buddhist convention of 1955-1956 celebrating the 2,500th year of the Buddhist era. The poem centers on the Buddhist prophecy of the future Buddha, Metteyya or Maitreya, who will come to restore the Buddhist teaching at the end of the age. The introduction to the poem begins with an alleged Tibetan prophecy about the coming of Metteyya/ Maitreya (the origins or authenticity of which I have been unable to establish) that proclaims: “When he shall be seen in the West, seated in the Western fashion, his hair like flames about his noble head, discoursing, then shall the inhabitants of the Three Worlds rejoice.” The “hair like flames" is clearly meant to be a reference to Hubbard’s own famous red hair. The poem then begins with the question “Am I Metteyya?” and then proceeds to answer in the affirmative:
I come to bring you all that Lord Buddha would have you know life, Earth and Man.
I come to you with Freedom
I come to you with science.
I come to teach you
I come to help you.112
[Hugh Urban continues with a very insightful comment about the direction of Scientology processing, which we were talking about a bit earlier in this thread:]
Yet significantly, despite his many claims about the links between his philosophy and that of the Buddha, Hubbard also clearly distinguishes
the final goal of Scientology from that of Buddhism. Whereas Buddhism—as he understood it at least—aimed to extinguish the individual in the nothingness of nirvana, Scientology has the technology that can liberate the thetan into a state of individual freedom, autonomy, and unlimited power to do anything it chooses: “We are Scientologists. We won’t fall into the abyss. And we won't join Nirvana. We have meters and a map. . . . Nirvana is choked with the overwhelmed. . . . We are Scientologists. We have won.”113 In contrast to Hindu and Buddhist holy men, Hubbard wrote in 1952, the Scientologist does not seek to become “one with the universe but maintains his own individuality” and ultimately becomes capable of doing anything he desires:
Thetans are individuals. They do not... merge with other individualities. They still have the power of becoming anything they wish while still retaining their individuality. . . . There is evidently no Nirvana. . . . When he goes upscale, he becomes more and more an individual capable of creating and maintaining his own universe.114
113. Hubbard, "What Are You Trying To Do in Clearing," HCO Bulletin, April 6, 1993. Scientology's Advance! magazine from 1980 features an image of the Buddha meditating on the front cover. Inside, the cover story recounts the teachings of the Buddha, concluding that they are now fulfilled with the birth of Scientology: Gautama Siddhartha Buddha predicted that in 2500 years the entire job would be finished in the West.... Well, we finished it" (Descent from Vulture Peak," Advance! 84 [1980]:14).
114. Hubbard, Scientology 8-8008, 48.
The church of scientology: A history of a new religion. (2011). Princeton, N.J: Princeton University Press. [Google Books]

Last edited: