Arthur Conway Hubbard speaks

O Tease

Electronic Box Cellmate of Ron & Xenu
I really don't remember. I think I left at that point....or had been on my way out, when he arrived. So, it was a brief meeting.

A bit later in time from that incident.....the "Art World" was kinda in a flutter as some artists started using Bodily Fluids to make art work with.

One that got a lot of Media Coverage was called "Piss Jesus"......which was a little plastic Jesus figure in a glass jar, filled with urine.

Another Artist was making his art work with Elephant Dung.....

Anyway, I recall Arthur had an art show at some time....and if I remember correctly.....he was making his art work with his own blood. I assumed to try to jump on that currently vogue band wagon

Perhaps someone here can verify that....as my memory on this is not that clear.

Basically....I just didn't give it any attention....but became tangentially aware of it due to a Flyer going around in the Scientology community in LA.
Paints with body oozings huh? Why am I not surprised? So if I were to contract him to produce a custom rendition of the famous photo of Ron that has always hung in the morgues what could I expect to pay?

Nosy_Creature

My memories of him...

I don't know much about when he was out. I do remember that Tim Edwards (AOLA staff; used to be RTC) saw him at a bar in LA. He was apparently drunk out of his mind. Tim wrote a KR on him. Years later after I was out Gary Scarff posted that Arthur was "living with a man" in New York, doing his art. Never knew what he meant by that. I don't think Arthur is gay.
Lol. I've browsed through Arthur Conway's website. He paints naked ladies, lots of them. Not a very gay thing to do, is it?

Here is a recent pic of him, the first pic on the right.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Years later after I was out Gary Scarff posted that Arthur was "living with a man" in New York, doing his art. Never knew what he meant by that. I don't think Arthur is gay.
I was "living with a man" at several points in my younger-and-poorer days.

Hell, in the SO I was living with several other men in a cramped room.

O Tease

Electronic Box Cellmate of Ron & Xenu
I was "living with a man" at several points in my younger-and-poorer days.

Hell, in the SO I was living with several other men in a cramped room.
He could just be living with his "handler". But with the cost of quality accomodations being so high in New York I could see wanting to cut the cost of rent in half. Haven't most of us had roommates back in the day?

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"
I encountered Arthur Hubbard once. Must have been late 1984, I was filling in for Liz Mercier-Gibble on reception at INCOMM, so the poor woman could use the bathroom.... or go to lunch, don't remember which. Unfortunately it became 'a thing' and I was elected to spell her much too frequently, I hated that job.

Anyway, I got call saying Arthur Hubbard was going to come to the lobby to see the INCOMM CO, and could I tell the CO he was on his way. It might have been an assistant who called me? Again I don't remember. A few minutes later Arthur shows up. I call.....drawing a blank on the guys name... the CO and let him know Arthur Hubbard is in the lobby to see him.

For a minute we're just looking around, I think he expects me to say some stupid shit. I don't. He seems to not want to be there or not be out in public at all. Very much in a hurry.

Looked just like a young L. Ron. Amazing resemblance. Was wearing Levi 501's, Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers and a light colored polo shirt. i think he was relieved I didn't start into the standard $cn. "worship of celebrity" mode, etc. I didn't say anything. Eventually, Foster comes out, (that was the CO's name) and leads him back into the INCOMM Inner Sanctum.

I remember thinking , "I'm so glad I ain't that guy."

Another time I may have met his wife also, the French girl. I could be mistaken though.

Last edited:
O

Oat Tea Ate

Lol. I've browsed through Arthur Conway's website. He paints naked ladies, lots of them. Not a very gay thing to do, is it?

Here is a recent pic of him, the first pic on the right.

1577941113241.png

October 05, 2019
I am a painter living in Los Angeles.
I was born in Washington, DC in 1958 but I grew up abroad.
Although I studied at the California Institute of the Arts I only lasted for one semester. I then went on to teach myself to draw and paint and also had help from some wonderful teachers.
I have no résumé to speak of as my few exhibitions were for the most part organised by private parties or by myself and I am in no collections although many works have been bought by supportive friends and friends of friends.
My work was first exhibited in the late eighties and by the nineties I could sell just enough to get along. Also in the nineties I began to work with mixed media and photographic interpretations, you’ll find them under “ax31”.
Then in 2003 I got an etching press to make prints. These can be seen under “Intaglio”.
Most recently I have returned to painting and started working on a new series. I hope to keep this site updated on my progress.
If you visited this site because you have questions about Scientology then you may visit another site that goes into it a little bit at arthurconwayhubbard.com
Thanks for visiting.

Paintings:

(These are all unframed and all framing would be done before shipping and is included in the price as listed. The duration it takes to frame will be estimated at the time of purchase.)

X.M. Hours - $24,000

Scenic #1 (Peach) - $18,400

Scenic #4 (Elise) - $8,000

This (Not That) - $18,400

Evermore (Felicia) - $18,400

K’s Vanity - $24,000

His artwork is very well done an I think he is an excellent artist. His price list looks like the Bridge to Total Freedom pricing. Good for him! At least he got something out of Scientology. He learned how to ask big prices. At least he delivers a nice piece of art in exchange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zertel

Arthur is at center top. Suzette at left. Quentin at right.
Diana at center bottom. From mid 1970s.

Arthur Ronald Conway Hubbard

Answering some questions into the history and workings of the Church of Scientology

_________________​

This is recent, being from a month ago.

"...I have many friends that are members in good standing that have bought paintings from me..."

It appears that Arthur is sincerely wishing to express himself on the topic of Scientology, yet he must be aware that, if he crosses a certain line, he will lose some friends and, perhaps, some patrons.

Before this, the only L. Ron Hubbard offspring to say anything independently, publicly, on the topic of Scientology was L. Ron Hubbard Jr.

Post January 1986, there was a settlement, involving a payment of an undisclosed sum of money, along with the standard gag agreement, to the Hubbard offspring. Are we to assume that Arthur was not gagged?

To indulge in some (perhaps extreme) cynicism, would it be possible that Miscavige has decided it's time to create - or expand - the "I'm not a Scientologist, but..." operation: a collection of people who are former Scientologists and have a (pretty much) positive (yet convincingly independent) or, at least, comfortably neutral, expressed view of the Scientology organization?

Another such person would be the small businessman - Morton Myers - who's currently running for mayor of Clearwater, Florida.

The statements from that aspiring Mayor of Clearwater, and from Arthur, are very different than that of Guy White who is the former husband of Suzette Hubbard.

There's no response (of which I know) to either Morton Myers or Arthur, but there has been a strident response of disapproval from Scientology Inc. to Guy White.

Arthur does seem more authentic than Morton of Clearwater.

I think everyone wishes Arthur well.

Arthur quotes Carl Jung in his blog: "One of the main functions of organized religion is to protect people against a direct experience of God."

_______

By chance, if Arthur sees this, he might enjoy a video/audio of Jung attempting to communicate with his Soul:

He is certainly welcome to join ESMBR.

I just noticed this thread and I'm finding it very interesting. If Arthur's last name wasn't Hubbard I might assume he is an ex Scientologist who participated in the 1970s and left before going into the OT levels which is my own experience. He is now making his outlook on life and some of his personal philosophy open for public discussion.

It seems his blog is open for public comment but there are only four or five comments, the last on December 15. I'll post a comment there later and see what happens. I understand and agree with a lot of what he's saying.

Last edited:

Harden Long

OSA no esta hermOSA
View attachment 1268

October 05, 2019
I am a painter living in Los Angeles.
I was born in Washington, DC in 1958 but I grew up abroad.
Although I studied at the California Institute of the Arts I only lasted for one semester. I then went on to teach myself to draw and paint and also had help from some wonderful teachers.
I have no résumé to speak of as my few exhibitions were for the most part organised by private parties or by myself and I am in no collections although many works have been bought by supportive friends and friends of friends.
My work was first exhibited in the late eighties and by the nineties I could sell just enough to get along. Also in the nineties I began to work with mixed media and photographic interpretations, you’ll find them under “ax31”.
Then in 2003 I got an etching press to make prints. These can be seen under “Intaglio”.
Most recently I have returned to painting and started working on a new series. I hope to keep this site updated on my progress.
If you visited this site because you have questions about Scientology then you may visit another site that goes into it a little bit at arthurconwayhubbard.com
Thanks for visiting.

Paintings:

(These are all unframed and all framing would be done before shipping and is included in the price as listed. The duration it takes to frame will be estimated at the time of purchase.)

X.M. Hours - $24,000

Scenic #1 (Peach) - $18,400

Scenic #4 (Elise) - $8,000

This (Not That) - $18,400

Evermore (Felicia) - $18,400

K’s Vanity - $24,000

His artwork is very well done an I think he is an excellent artist. His price list looks like the Bridge to Total Freedom pricing. Good for him! At least he got something out of Scientology. He learned how to ask big prices. At least he delivers a nice piece of art in exchange.
I'm sorry but what kind of flaming narcissist demands this level of compensation for his doodling's? Why because he's a madman's son? Should people have to pay $cientology prices for common paintings which I can buy better at my local flea market, and have? Usually priced between $200 & $500, and with beautiful frames a lot of the time.
It would seem that it's LRH nostalgic narcissists that would pay his prices just so they could try and impress guests with "and this one is an Arthur Conway Hubbard original, the son of L. Ron Hubbard". It's interesting he chose Conway as his new last name. CON WAY? Yes that's the way of his people all right...

Last edited:
O

Oat Tea Ate

I'm sorry but what kind of flaming narcissist demands this level of compensation for his doodling's? Why because he's a madman's son? Should people have to pay $cientology prices for common paintings which I can buy better at my local flea market, and have? Usually priced between $200 & $500, and with beautiful frames a lot of the time.
Arthur's skills are honed. He is very good. The paintings are dark and evoke strange emotions in me. Not my cup of tea. However, he is a good artist and the price for art is one of those subjects that the more expensive you charge, the more valuable the customer deems it. People with deep pockets like that and will pay for it.
For someone wealthy spending $25,000 on a painting is like someone making minimum wage spending $100 on art.

I also think Arthur's paintings suggest some type of identity crisis within him. IMO. The obsessive naked women, paintings smeared with his blood. Very dark. Suggesting he is not in the body he wishes to be perhaps.
Who knows?

Harden Long

OSA no esta hermOSA
... The obsessive naked women, paintings smeared with his blood. Very dark...
Who knows?
Or suggesting that in his mind it's his L. Ron Hubbard blood that make his demonic dream copy/pastes of some hyper inflated over the top, escalating value. I met him casually on a couple of occasions when he was a teenager and found him to be of a strangely toxic, weirdly wired personality which is the basis of my suspicions.

Last edited:

Someone Else

Cleared Tomato
I have to say...I know he's weird and all, but I don't get why people are hostile about his artwork, or the prices he can fetch for them. Some other artists make much, much more, as well as musicians, actors, et al, etc. and so on.

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
Conway is his middle name. He didn't invent it for himself.

Harden Long

OSA no esta hermOSA
Conway is his middle name. He didn't invent it for himself.
Oh, Ron and Mary sue came up with it then, that makes more sense. I had thought it might be a Dewolf kind of name to distance himself from his Hubbard legasy.

Last edited:

Harden Long

OSA no esta hermOSA
I have to say...I know he's weird and all, but I don't get why people are hostile about his artwork, or the prices he can fetch for them. Some other artists make much, much more, as well as musicians, actors, et al, etc. and so on.
It's probably just carry over hostility that people have for his father, for all the many reasons.