Academic paper -- Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective, by Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Academic paper -- Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective, by Hossam Ed-Deen Allam.

Respectful Request: Because this is posted in the Scientology Breaking and Major News section and there is already a thread devoted to Islam, I respectfully request that the discussion be limited to the topic of Scientology and perhaps the relationship of Scientology to Islam, and not include critiques of Islam itself. There is already a thread devoted to that purpose and if any Muslims run across this thread (perhaps through a Google search), I would like them to find a substantive discussion of Scientology and also feel welcome. Thank you.

Academic paper -- Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective, by Hossam Ed-Deen Allam.

Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective

By Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

Having received several questions concerning the stance of Islam on Scientology, in his capacity as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre and as a lecturer at the Law school at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, the author, through employing an analytical approach, aims to provide a methodological clarification concerning the stance of Islam on Scientology as far as theology and jurisprudence are concerned.

Key Words
Islam · Scientology · Theology · Jurisprudence · Al-Azhar · Fatwa · Religion · Comparative Religion · Religious Studies · Contemporary Issues ·

The stance of Islam on Scientology

Prior to presenting the stance of Islam on scientology, there exist a number of facts that need to be highlighted in order to clarify the understructure of this stance.

Firstly, Respect Towards Human of All Faiths

In principle, the relation of the Muslim with fellow humans of other faith traditions is founded on mutual respect and mutual understanding.

“O humanity! Indeed, We created you from a male and a female, and made you into peoples and tribes so that you may ˹get to˺ know one another. Surely the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous among you. Allah is truly All-Knowing, AllAware.” al-Hujurat (The Chambers) 49:13

“O believers! Do not insult what they invoke besides Allah or they will insult Allah spitefully out of ignorance. This is how We have made each people’s deeds appealing to them. Then to their Lord is their return, and He will inform them of what they used to do.” al-An`am (Cattle, Livestock) 6:108

Thus, insulting what Muslims deem as false deities as well as their worshippers is forbidden in Islam regardless of the actual result that such conduct may lead to.

Secondly, No Compromise on Islamic Creed

“Certainly, Allah’s only Way is Islam. Those who were given the Scripture did not dispute
˹among themselves˺ out of mutual envy until knowledge came to them. Whoever denies Allah’s signs, then surely Allah is swift in reckoning.” al-Imran (The Family of Imran, The House of Imran) 3:19

“If one seeks a faith other than Islam, it will never be accepted from them, and in the Hereafter they will be among the losers.” al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:85

"Today I have perfected your faith for you, completed My favour upon you, and chosen Islam as your way." al-Ma`idah (The Table Spread) 5:3

Jabir told that when ‘Umar came to the Prophet saying, “We hear from Jews traditions which charm us, so do you think we should write down some of them ?” he replied, “Are you in a state of confusion as the Jews and the Christians were? I have brought them to you white and pure, and if Moses were alive he would feel it absolutely necessary to follow me.” Ahmad transmitted it, and also Baihaqi in Shu’ab al-iman.

Thirdly, No Secrecy in the Teachings and Acts of Worship in Islam

Say, OProphet, “This is my way. I invite to Allah based on clear and sure knowledge —I and those who follow me. Glory be to Allah, and I am not one of the polytheists.” Yusuf (Joseph) 12:108

“Proclaim publicly what you are commanded to and turn away from those who ascribe partners to Allah.” al-Hijr (The Rock, Stoneland, Rock City) 15:94

"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for the truth stands out clearly from falsehood." al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:256

Fourthly, No Monetization of the teachings and acts of worship in Islam

Say, O Prophet, “I ask no reward of you for this guidance—it is a reminder to the whole world.” al-An`am (Cattle, Livestock) 6:90

“Follow those who do not ask you for any payment; they are rightly guided.” (Ya-Seen) 36:21

“Or are you ˹O Prophet˺ asking them for a reward for the message so that they are overburdened by debt?” at-Tur (The Mountain) 52:40

The Islamic Ruling on Joining Scientology

Accordingly, in addition to the evident fact that a Muslim does not need to join scientology, it is not permissible for a Muslim to become a scientologist.

Applying Scienology-related practices, such as auditing for psychological benefit

It is only permissible if it is medically established and scientifically proven that there is a benefit. Noteworthy, a Muslim must ensure that their privacy is maintained and spend their money rationally.

Narrated Abu Hurairah: that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Wisdom is the lost property of the believer, so wherever s/he finds it, then s/he is more worthy of it."

"Surely those who misuse their wealth are following Satan in the same way that Satan proved to be ungrateful to his Sustainer." al-Isra` 17:27

Abu Barzah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Man's feet will not move on the Day of Resurrection before he is asked about his life, how did he consume it, his knowledge, what did he do with it, his wealth, how did he earn it and how did he dispose of it, and about his body, how did he wear it out." [AtTirmidhi, who classified it as Hadith Hasan Sahih].

Co-operating with Scientology-affiliated entities for charitable and philanthropic causes

The directives of the Noble Quran and the authentic traditions of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), as well as the practices of his rightly-guided caliphs indicate that Islam aims to open the door to cooperation with all on the basis of benevolence, righteousness, peace, and security for all. In fact, Muslims are urged to partake in such cooperation with anyone (individual/ state/ community) who seeks it. Additionally, Muslim are prohibited to be part of any cooperation that is based on or would lead to injustice, oppression, or violence. In this respect, Allah says:

Cooperate with one another in goodness and righteousness, and do not cooperate in sin and transgression. And be mindful of Allah. Surely Allah is severe in punishment. al-Ma`idah (The Table Spread) 5:2

“As for non-Muslims who do not fight you on account of your faith, or drive you forth from your homelands, Allah does not forbid you to show them birr (kindness, love, and respect) and to deal with them with equity, for Allah loves those who act equitably.” [Quran 60:8]

About the author

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam holds the MA of Diplomacy and Religion with Distinction from the department of Politics, Philosophy and Religion at Lancaster University in the UK. His main research area concerns Faith-based Diplomacy, Conflict Transformation, Desectarianisation, and Peacebuilding. In parallel, Allam works as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre in addition to serving as a lecturer of the sources of Islamic jurisprudence at the Faculty of Sharia and Law at Al-Azhar University in Cairo.

Hossam Ed-Deen is a Graduate of Al-Azhar University in Cairo from the Faculty of Shari’ah and Law in English. He has served as lecturer of Islamic jurisprudence and its principles at the renowned Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo and has served as religious leader a number of communities in North America including NYC. Through his years of community work, he has provided training and guidance to government departments along with developing educational projects and community centers.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Screenshot_20210424-080128_1619277767140.png

Screenshot_20210424-080141_1619277823313.png

Screenshot_20210424-080156_1619277962819.png

Screenshot_20210424-080221_1619277991147.png

/

Last edited:

ISNOINews

The substance of the above paper is published on About Islam as follows.

About Islam: What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist? [Answer: No.]

https://aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-about-islam/the-position-of-islam-on-scientology/

* * * * * BEGIN SHORT ANSWER * * * * *

Q. What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist?

ANSWER

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

13 October, 2020

Short Answer:

To begin, in principle, the relation of the Muslim with those of other faith traditions is founded on mutual respect and understanding.

Secondly, the Quran and hadith specifically state that there is no compromise on Islamic creed.

Thirdly, the Quran emphasizes that there is no secrecy in the teachings and acts of worship in Islam.

Lastly, the Quran states that there should be no monetization of the teachings and acts of worship in Islam accordingly.

Accordingly, in addition to the evident fact that a Muslim does not need to join Scientology, it is not permissible for a Muslim to become a Scientologist.

* * * * * END SHORT ANSWER * * * * *

/

Last edited:

ISNOINews

Being a slave of Allah conflicts with the Bridge to Total Freedom.
Thank you so much for honoring the "Respectful Request" in my OP. So good to know that I am not wasting my fucking time here, and that any thread that I post that mentions Islam will not be used for Islam bashing. Because, as I mentioned in my OP, there is already a thread here that is devoted to that precise purpose.

It is so nice to keep a thread about Scientology on the topic of Scientology on an Ex Scientologist Message Board.

Again, thanks.

/yes, fucking sarcasm.

/

Last edited:

guanoloco

As-Wased
Thank you so much for honoring the "Respectful Request" in my OP. So good to know that I am not wasting my fucking time here, and that any thread that I post that mentions Islam will not be used for Islam bashing. Because, as I mentioned in my OP, there is already a thread here that is devoted to that precise purpose.

It is so nice to keep a thread about Scientology on the topic of Scientology on an Ex Scientologist Message Board.

Again, thanks.

/yes, fucking sarcasm.

/
You're welcome.

BTW, there was no criticism of Islam in my comment. Islam, literally, means the submission to Allan's will. One submits, becomes a slave of Allah to do his bidding. It's total submission...total effect.

In Scientology one becomes Total Cause over MEST where one's postulates rise above the effort band and come true. You become the eighth dynamic. You become God.

They're diametrically opposed.

No one needs a theological treatise to understand that.

Last edited: