About Islam: What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist? (Answer: No.)

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
About Islam: What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist? (Answer: No.)

Respectful Request: Because this is posted in the Scientology Breaking and Major News section and there is already a thread devoted to Islam, I respectfully request that the discussion be limited to the topic of Scientology and perhaps the relationship of Scientology to Islam, and not include critiques of Islam itself. As I said, there is already a thread devoted to that purpose and if any Muslims run across this thread (perhaps through a Google search), I would like them to find a substantive discussion of Scientology and also feel welcome. Thank you

About Islam: What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist?

The Position of Islam on Scientology | About Islam

* * * * * BEGIN SHORT ANSWER * * * * *

Q. What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist?

ANSWER

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

13 October, 2020

Short Answer:

To begin, in principle, the relation of the Muslim with those of other faith traditions is founded on mutual respect and understanding.

Secondly, the Quran and hadith specifically state that there is no compromise on Islamic creed.

Thirdly, the Quran emphasizes that there is no secrecy in the teachings and acts of worship in Islam.

Lastly, the Quran states that there should be no monetization of the teachings and acts of worship in Islam accordingly.

Accordingly, in addition to the evident fact that a Muslim does not need to join Scientology, it is not permissible for a Muslim to become a Scientologist
* * * * * END SHORT ANSWER * * * * *

Biography of Hossam Ed-Deen Allam, the person who answered the question

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam | About Islam

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

Hosam Ed-Deen Allam holds an MA of Diplomacy and Religion with Distinction from the Department of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion at Lancaster University in the UK. His main research area concerns Faith-based Diplomacy, Conflict Transformation, De-sectarianisation, and Peacebuilding. In parallel, Allam works as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre in addition to serving as a lecturer of the sources of Islamic jurisprudence at the Faculty of Sharia and Law at Al-Azhar University in Cairo. Hossam Ed-Deen is a Graduate of Al-Azhar University in Cairo from the Faculty of Shari’ah and Law in English. He has served as a lecturer of Islamic jurisprudence and its principles at the renowned Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo and has served as a religious leader in a number of communities in North America including NYC. Through his years of community work, he has provided training and guidance to government departments along with developing educational projects and community centers.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Last edited:

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
I was on staff at an org with many Muslim staff. In fact, I housed some for a short period.

In my experience, I never saw a Muslim really become a scn'ist. I saw Ramadan first, scn second.

It's like the whole lie that scamatologists can be a Christian at the same time. Or be a Jew.

ISNOINews

I was on staff at an org with many Muslim staff. In fact, I housed some for a short period.

In my experience, I never saw a Muslim really become a scn'ist. I saw Ramadan first, scn second.

It's like the whole lie that scamatologists can be a Christian at the same time. Or be a Jew.
Were the "Muslim staff" members of the Nation of Islam (NOI)?

I ask because many, and I would say most (if not the vast majority of) mainstream (e.g., Sunni, Shiite) Muslims do not consider the NOI to be truly Islamic, and do not consider NOI members to be truly Muslim.

I certainly do not.

To start, in Islam Muhammad (PBUH) is considered the seal of the prophets -- i.e., the last prophet, the last source of revelation. In the NOI, Muhammad (PBUH) is followed as a prophet by Master Fard Muhammad, the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and Minister Louis Farrakhan.

In addition, NOI teachings contradict the Quran and fundamental precepts of Islam in many respects. For example, the NOI Yakub story.

ETA: Perhaps most importantly, in contrast to the NOI's teaching of Black racial superiority founded on the Yakub story, in his Last (or Farewell) Sermon at Mount Arafat in 632 AD Muhammad (PBUH) said:

"An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab … a white person has no superiority over a black, nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action.”

See:

Prophet Muhammad’s Last Sermon: A Final Admonition

Prophet Muhammad's Last Sermon, Social Justice and Gender Equality

The teachings of Islam and the Nation of "Islam" fundamentally differ on this crucially Important issue.

Having said all of that, I am interested in the "many Muslim staff" you served with. That is significant news.

Last edited:

ISNOINews

Since this a thread is about Scientology and Islam, I believe the following video should be included.

Scientology Founder L. Ron Hubbard explains Islam.

According to the Scientology Comparative Religion Page on Islam, the above excerpt comes from the lecture "What's Wrong with this Universe: A Working Package for the Auditor," L. Ron Hubbard, 9 Dec 1952. See

http://perry.users.ezlink.com/CoS/Theology/islam.htm

-- and particularly the heading "Hubbard Maligns Islam."

Last edited:

ISNOINews

Were the "Muslim staff" members of the Nation of Islam (NOI)?

I ask because many, and I would say most (if not the vast majority of) mainstream (e.g., Sunni, Shiite) Muslims do not consider the NOI to be truly Islamic, and do not consider NOI members to be truly Muslim.

I certainly do not.

To start, in Islam Muhammad (PBUH) is considered the seal of the prophets -- i.e., the last prophet, the last source of revelation. In the NOI, Muhammad (PBUH) is followed as a prophet by Master Fard Muhammad, the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and Minister Louis Farrakhan.

In addition, NOI teachings contradict the Quran and fundamental precepts of Islam in many respects. For example, the NOI Yakub story.

ETA: Perhaps most importantly, in contrast to the NOI's teaching of Black racial superiority founded on the Yakub story, in his Last (or Farewell) Sermon at Mount Arafat in 632 AD Muhammad (PBUH) said:

"An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab … a white person has no superiority over a black, nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action.”

See:

The teachings of Islam and the Nation of "Islam" fundamentally differ on this crucially Important issue.

Having said all of that, I am interested in the "many Muslim staff" you served with. That is significant news.

See:

Last edited:

ISNOINews

Thanks. Like I said earlier. I think it is significant that you were on staff "with many" NOI members. There are some people who argue that the involvement of the NOI in Scientology is insignificant. Your statement belies that.

Alas, NOI members are not going to care about what the About Islam expert says about the subject. They take their instructions only from Minister Farrakhan and his Regional Ministers.

ISNOINews

Respectful Request: Because this is posted in the Scientology Breaking and Major News section and there is already a thread devoted to Islam, I respectfully request that the discussion be limited to the topic of Scientology and perhaps the relationship of Scientology to Islam, and not include critiques of Islam itself. As I said, there is already a thread devoted to that purpose and if any Muslims run across this thread (perhaps through a Google search), I would like them to find a substantive discussion of Scientology and also feel welcome. Thank you

About Islam: What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist?

Q. What is the position of Islam on Scientology? Can a Muslim become a Scientologist?

ANSWER

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

13 October, 2020

Short Answer:

To begin, in principle, the relation of the Muslim with those of other faith traditions is founded on mutual respect and understanding.

Secondly, the Quran and hadith specifically state that there is no compromise on Islamic creed.

Thirdly, the Quran emphasizes that there is no secrecy in the teachings and acts of worship in Islam.

Lastly, the Quran states that there should be no monetization of the teachings and acts of worship in Islam accordingly.

Accordingly, in addition to the evident fact that a Muslim does not need to join Scientology, it is not permissible for a Muslim to become a Scientologist

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

Hosam Ed-Deen Allam holds an MA of Diplomacy and Religion with Distinction from the Department of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion at Lancaster University in the UK. His main research area concerns Faith-based Diplomacy, Conflict Transformation, De-sectarianisation, and Peacebuilding. In parallel, Allam works as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre in addition to serving as a lecturer of the sources of Islamic jurisprudence at the Faculty of Sharia and Law at Al-Azhar University in Cairo. Hossam Ed-Deen is a Graduate of Al-Azhar University in Cairo from the Faculty of Shari’ah and Law in English. He has served as a lecturer of Islamic jurisprudence and its principles at the renowned Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo and has served as a religious leader in a number of communities in North America including NYC. Through his years of community work, he has provided training and guidance to government departments along with developing educational projects and community centers.

I made a comment on Tony Ortega's blog that I want to repeat here.

The Church of Scientology will not be happy with this answer for two or three reasons.

First, the answer contradicts Scientology's statement that one can be a Scientologist and a Muslim at the same time. Scientology always addresses that issue only from the perspective of Scientology (although it lies even when it asserts that it is truly acceptable to Scientology for a person to be member of Scientology and another religion at the same time). Scientology never considers the perspective of the other religion -- i.e., whether it is acceptable to the other religion (in this case, Islam) for a person to be a member of both that religion (Islam) and Scientology. In any event, answers like this will have a major effect on Muslims.

Second, the extended answer addresses the use of Scientology as therapy:

Applying Scientology the Practice of Auditing for Psychological Benefit

Auditing is a process whereby the auditor takes an individual through times in their current or past lives to rid the individual of negative influences from past events or behaviors.

In Islam, auditing is only permissible if it is a medically established and scientifically proven benefit. Noteworthy, a Muslim must ensure that their privacy is maintained and their money spent rationally.

Although phrased diplomatically, Muslims will read this answer as saying, "No, a Muslim should not practice auditing to obtain a psychological benefit." Scientology can provide no evidence that auditing has a "medically established and scientifically proven benefit." Any money spent is not spent rationally. Privacy is not maintained.

Third, the extended answer addresses the issue or cooperation with Scientology affiliated entities as follows:

Cooperating with Scientology Affiliated Entities for Charitable and Philanthropic Causes

The directives of the Noble Quran and the authentic traditions of Prophet Muhammad, as well as the practices of his rightly-guided caliphs, indicate that Islam aims to open the door to cooperation with all based on benevolence, righteousness, peace, and security for all.

Muslims are urged to partake in such cooperation with any individual, state or community who seeks it. Additionally, Muslims are prohibited to be part of any cooperation that is based on or would lead to injustice, oppression, or violence.

While again diplomatic, the insertion or the last sentence was very deliberate. A Muslim reading this will see that last sentence as a warning.

ISNOINews

After doing further research, I see that About Islam earlier addressed Scientology on 03 August 2016.

About Islam: Islam and Scientology: Any Relation?

Islam and Scientology: Any Relation? | About Islam

ANSWER

Professor Shahul Hameed

03 August, 2016

[SNIP]

Emile Durkheim has defined religion as “a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things”. Paul Tillich called it “the state of being grasped by an ultimate concern”.

The words “sacred” in the first definition, and “ultimate” in the second one provide us certain parameters that would help us evaluate any modern movement or institution that claims to be a religion. Judged by those standards, Scientology falls far short of a religion.

Islam is categorical about Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the final prophet of God; and about the noble Quran as the most complete and final testament of God. Therefore, from a Muslim point of view, any chance for considering a new prophet after Muhammad or a new divine scripture after the Quran for the status of ultimacy is ruled out.

Secondly, Scientology speaks little about God and says nothing of a Day of Judgment. It offers no model for a good life in this world. It altogether rejects the sovereignty of the Transcendent Law-Giver over the ephemeral world of phenomena.

The foregoing means that Scientology can only be considered a pseudo-religion and as such, it is of no appeal to anyone who is seeking God and the eternal life of happiness He has prepared for His righteous servants in the Hereafter.

The biography of Professor Shahul Hameed, the person who wrote the essay.

Professor Shahul Hameed | About Islam

Professor Shahul Hameed

Professor Shahul Hameed is an Islamic consultant. He also held the position of the President of the Kerala Islamic Mission, Calicut, India. He is the author of three books on Islam published in the Malayalam language. His books are on comparative religion, the status of women, and science and human values.

ISNOINews

Since this a thread is about Scientology and Islam, I believe the following video should be included.

Scientology Founder L. Ron Hubbard explains Islam.

According to the Scientology Comparative Religion Page on Islam, the above excerpt comes from the lecture "What's Wrong with this Universe: A Working Package for the Auditor," L. Ron Hubbard, 9 Dec 1952. See

http://perry.users.ezlink.com/CoS/Theology/islam.htm

-- and particularly the heading "Hubbard Maligns Islam."
This L. Ron Hubbard Scientology lecture is quoted and discussed in the academic article:

"What would Ron choose from the Islamic basket? Notes on Scientology's construction of Islam"

June 2015 Temenos 51(1):95-121

DOI: 10.33356/temenos.49514

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326190209_What_would_Ron_choose_from_the_Islamic_basket_Notes_on_Scientology's_construction_of_Islam

[PDF] What would Ron choose from the Islamic basket? Notes on Scientology’s construction of Islam | Semantic Scholar

What would Ron choose from the Islamic basket? Notes on Scientology’s construction of Islam | Temenos - Nordic Journal of Comparative Religion

A post entitled ‘Scientology Slanders Islam’, posted on the anti-Scientology website Operation Clambake by the user ‘J. Swift’ on June 5, 2009 points to the lecture: ‘What’s Wrong with this Universe: A Working Package for the Auditor’ (9 Dec 1952) and supplies this transcript of an excerpt:

"It’s [the Black Stone] an enormous stone hanging suspended in the middle of a room, this is an incident called the Emanator by the way, and this thing is by the way the source of the Mohammedan Lodestone that they have hanging down there, that, eh, when Mohammed decided to be a good small-town booster in eh Kansas, Middle-East, or something of the sort. By the way, the only reason he [the Prophet] mocked that thing up [Islam], is the trade wasn’t good in his hometown. That’s right. You read the life of Mohammed. And he’s got a black one and it sort of hung between the ceiling and the floor, I don’t know, maybe they call it the Casbah or something or... Anyway, anyway, that thing is a mockup of the Emanator! The Emanator is bright, not black. And so, your volunteer, who insists on a sightseeing trip, goes in and this thing is standing in the middle of the room, and it’s going ‘wong wong wong wong wong’ and he says: ‘Isn’t that pretty?’. It sure is, and then he says ‘Mmmgrmrm ponk’ Why, I’ll tell you, they cart him from there, and they take him in and they do a transposition of beingness."

We do not need to embark here in a word-to-word exegesis of Hubbard’s claims. However we can remark that he seemingly employs ‘Kansas’ meaning an arid and insignificant place and, more importantly, confuses the term Kaaba with Kasbah, usually designating the citadel or the oldest part of an Islamic city.

The article also notes that after 9/11:

Eight years later, while recognizing that it was not completely sure that the Egyptian physician and al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri was the person who masterminded the massacre, Dave Figueroa, then president of the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (recognized as a Scientology front group), declared that the terrorist was a psychiatrist (a claim unsupported by any evidence) who manipulated al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden through psychiatric practices and (unspecified) drugs (see Edroso 2009, Forsloff 2009, von Marcab 2009).

The article then goes on to discuss the partnership between the Church of Scientology and the Nation of Islam.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Thanks. Like I said earlier. I think it is significant that you were on staff "with many" NOI members. There are some people who argue that the involvement of the NOI in Scientology is insignificant. Your statement belies that.

Alas, NOI members are not going to care about what the About Islam expert says about the subject. They take their instructions only from Minister Farrakhan and his Regional Ministers.
We didn't have many black people nor muslims in general. There was one black guy working at WISE and a few public around LA and that was it. FAR more Jews, evangelicals and latin american catholics.

NOI are muslim in the same way that mormons are christians. Nobody other than themselves believes that.

ISNOINews

We didn't have many black people nor muslims in general. There was one black guy working at WISE and a few public around LA and that was it. FAR more Jews, evangelicals and latin american catholics.

NOI are muslim in the same way that mormons are christians. Nobody other than themselves believes that.
I think it depends on the particular Org in LA, with Inglewood probably having the highest concentration of NOI public.

NOI opinion leaders do services at CC. Minister Tony Muhammad trained to be a Class 4 Auditor at CC.

Several regular NOI members train in the Academy at LA Org.

NOI Sister Charlene Muhammad was the 2018 Scientology Dianetics Auditor of the Year at PAC Base. The last I heard, she was also training to be a Scientology Classed (i.e., E-Meter) Auditor at LA Org.

ISNOINews

Delphian School claims that it does not have any religious affiliation and that, "there are staff and children in attendance at Delphian who are members of many faiths, including . . . Islam . . . and Scientology."

Does The Delphian School Have Any Religious Affiliation?

Code:
https://www.delphian.org/faq

Does The Delphian School Have Any Religious Affiliation?

No. Delphian School is a fully independent, non-religious, K-12 day and boarding school welcoming students of all faiths.

Delphian does not teach the doctrines of any one faith, although students will study a course entitled Understanding the Classical Religions in their senior year. This course includes basic study of the major religions of the modern and ancient world and covers both the doctrine and practices that are found in Christianity, Hinduism, Confucianism, Buddhism, Islam and Judaism and includes reading from their respective religious texts.

We welcome and encourage diversity of all kinds in our school community (we embrace free and open inquiry and the diverse perspectives of people of different backgrounds, religions and cultures). As a result, there are staff and children in attendance at Delphian who are members of many faiths, including Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism and Scientology, and representative of different denominations and sects.

In coordination with each child's parents, Delphian School helps arrange transportation to local churches, synagogues or temples on days of worship as required by a student's individual religious practice.

Karakorum

Karakorum

I think it depends on the particular Org in LA, with Inglewood probably having the highest concentration of NOI public.

NOI opinion leaders do services at CC. Minister Tony Muhammad trained to be a Class 4 Auditor at CC.

Several regular NOI members train in the Academy at LA Org.

NOI Sister Charlene Muhammad was the 2018 Scientology Dianetics Auditor of the Year at PAC Base. The last I heard, she was also training to be a Scientology Classed (i.e., E-Meter) Auditor at LA Org.
Also might depend on the date. Back in may day, the big Inglewood org building was not a thing and there was barely any scn presence in the area. The appeal towards black NOI members didn't get in full swing until after I left.

ISNOINews

ANSWER

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

13 October, 2020

Short Answer:

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

This article has been published as a Fatwa on Academia Edu with the title:

Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective

https://www.academia.edu/44365651/Islam_and_Scientology_A_Comparative_Theological_and_Juristic_Perspective

The conclusion is again:

The Islamic Ruling on Joining Scientology

Accordingly, in addition to the evident fact that a Muslim does not need to join scientology, it is not permissible for a Muslim to become a scientologist.

ETA:

As noted above, the author, Hossam Ed-Deen Allam, "works as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre." According to Wikipedia, Al-Azhar University is "Egypt's oldest degree-granting university and is renowned as the most prestigious university for Sunni Islamic learning." See:

/

Last edited:

ISNOINews

This article has been published as a Fatwa on Academia Edu with the title:

https://www.academia.edu/44365651/Islam_and_Scientology_A_Comparative_Theological_and_Juristic_Perspective

The conclusion is again:

Accordingly, in addition to the evident fact that a Muslim does not need to join scientology, it is not permissible for a Muslim to become a scientologist.

ETA:

As noted above, the author, Hossam Ed-Deen Allam, "works as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre." According to Wikipedia, Al-Azhar University is "Egypt's oldest degree-granting university and is renowned as the most prestigious university for Sunni Islamic learning." See:

/
I am glad that someone tweeted this story since I can't.

• Thanks
Reactions: UTR

ISNOINews

Islam & Scientology: A Comparative Theological and Juristic Perspective, by Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

By Hossam Ed-Deen Allam

Having received several questions concerning the stance of Islam on Scientology, in his capacity as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre and as a lecturer at the Law school at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, the author, through employing an analytical approach, aims to provide a methodological clarification concerning the stance of Islam on Scientology as far as theology and jurisprudence are concerned.

Key Words
Islam · Scientology · Theology · Jurisprudence · Al-Azhar · Fatwa · Religion · Comparative Religion · Religious Studies · Contemporary Issues ·

The stance of Islam on Scientology

Prior to presenting the stance of Islam on scientology, there exist a number of facts that need to be highlighted in order to clarify the understructure of this stance.

Firstly, Respect Towards Human of All Faiths

In principle, the relation of the Muslim with fellow humans of other faith traditions is founded on mutual respect and mutual understanding.

“O humanity! Indeed, We created you from a male and a female, and made you into peoples and tribes so that you may ˹get to˺ know one another. Surely the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous among you. Allah is truly All-Knowing, AllAware.” al-Hujurat (The Chambers) 49:13

“O believers! Do not insult what they invoke besides Allah or they will insult Allah spitefully out of ignorance. This is how We have made each people’s deeds appealing to
them. Then to their Lord is their return, and He will inform them of what they used to do.” al-An`am (Cattle, Livestock) 6:108

Thus, insulting what Muslims deem as false deities as well as their worshippers is forbidden in Islam regardless of the actual result that such conduct may lead to.

Secondly, No Compromise on Islamic Creed

“Certainly, Allah’s only Way is Islam. Those who were given the Scripture did not dispute ˹among themselves˺ out of mutual envy until knowledge came to them. Whoever denies

Allah’s signs, then surely Allah is swift in reckoning.” al-Imran (The Family of Imran, The House of Imran) 3:19

“If one seeks a faith other than Islam, it will never be accepted from them, and in the Hereafter they will be among the losers.” al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:85

"Today I have perfected your faith for you, completed My favour upon you, and chosen Islam as your way." al-Ma`idah (The Table Spread) 5:3

Jabir told that when ‘Umar came to the Prophet saying, “We hear from Jews traditions which charm us, so do you think we should write down some of them ?” he replied, “Are you in a state of confusion as the Jews and the Christians were? I have brought them to you white and pure, and if Moses were alive he would feel it absolutely necessary to follow me.” Ahmad transmitted it, and also Baihaqi in Shu’ab al-iman.

Thirdly, No Secrecy in the Teachings and Acts of Worship in Islam

Say, OProphet, “This is my way. I invite to Allah based on clear and sure knowledge —I and those who follow me. Glory be to Allah, and I am not one of the polytheists.” Yusuf (Joseph) 12:108

“Proclaim publicly what you are commanded to and turn away from those who ascribe partners to Allah.” al-Hijr (The Rock, Stoneland, Rock City) 15:94

"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for the truth stands out clearly from falsehood." al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:256

Fourthly, No Monetization of the teachings and acts of worship in Islam

Say, O Prophet, “I ask no reward of you for this guidance—it is a reminder to the whole world.” al-An`am (Cattle, Livestock) 6:90

“Follow those who do not ask you for any payment; they are rightly guided.” (Ya-Seen) 36:21

“Or are you ˹O Prophet˺ asking them for a reward for the message so that they are overburdened by debt?” at-Tur (The Mountain) 52:40

Applying Scienology-related practices, such as auditing for psychological benefit

It is only permissible if it is medically established and scientifically proven that there is a benefit. Noteworthy, a Muslim must ensure that their privacy is maintained and spend their money rationally.

Narrated Abu Hurairah: that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Wisdom is the lost property of the believer, so wherever s/he finds it, then s/he is more worthy of it."

"Surely those who misuse their wealth are following Satan in the same way that Satan proved to be ungrateful to his Sustainer." al-Isra` 17:27

Abu Barzah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Man's feet will not move on the Day of Resurrection before he is asked about his life, how did he consume it, his knowledge, what did he do with it, his wealth, how did he earn it and how did he dispose of it, and about his body, how did he wear it out." [AtTirmidhi, who classified it as Hadith Hasan Sahih].

Co-operating with Scientology-affiliated entities for charitable and philanthropic causes

The directives of the Noble Quran and the authentic traditions of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), as well as the practices of his rightly-guided caliphs indicate that Islam aims to open the door to cooperation with all on the basis of benevolence, righteousness, peace, and security for all. In fact, Muslims are urged to partake in such cooperation with anyone (individual/ state/ community) who seeks it. Additionally, Muslim are prohibited to be part of any cooperation that is based on or would lead to injustice, oppression, or violence. In this respect, Allah says:

Cooperate with one another in goodness and righteousness, and do not cooperate in sin and transgression. And be mindful of Allah. Surely Allah is severe in punishment. al-Ma`idah (The Table Spread) 5:2

“As for non-Muslims who do not fight you on account of your faith, or drive you forth from your homelands, Allah does not forbid you to show them birr (kindness, love, and respect) and to deal with them with equity, for Allah loves those who act equitably.” [Quran 60:8]

About the author

Hossam Ed-Deen Allam holds the MA of Diplomacy and Religion with Distinction from the department of Politics, Philosophy and Religion at Lancaster University in the UK. His main research area concerns Faith-based Diplomacy, Conflict Transformation, Desectarianisation, and Peacebuilding. In parallel, Allam works as a member of Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Centre in addition to serving as a lecturer of the sources of Islamic jurisprudence at the Faculty of Sharia and Law at Al-Azhar University in Cairo.

Hossam Ed-Deen is a Graduate of Al-Azhar University in Cairo from the Faculty of Shari’ah and Law in English. He has served as lecturer of Islamic jurisprudence and its principles at the renowned Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo and has served as religious leader a number of communities in North America including NYC. Through his years of community work, he has provided training and guidance to government departments along with developing educational projects and community centers.

Screenshot_20210424-080128_1619277767140.png

Screenshot_20210424-080141_1619277823313.png

Screenshot_20210424-080156_1619277962819.png

Screenshot_20210424-080221_1619277991147.png

/

Last edited: