Random Acts of Kindness

SuperstarNeilC

Apart from the psychopaths and sociopaths, whom I had dealings with every day in the Sea Org, most of the staff and public were good people, whose only purpose was to help their fellow Man. It pains my heart to know that after all their blood, sweat and tears they actually helped *no one*. All those BILLIONS OF DOLLARS donated, helping *no one*. What good could all that money have done if spent wisely?

How else could that money have been used? Well, Random Acts of Kindness could be one way (which doesn’t necessarily entail large amounts of $$). Something scientologists would *never* do, because it would be “out-exchange” and “rewarding downstats”.

Here’s a video I stumbled across,

Buying All Vendor’s Entire Goods (Paninda) See What They Did Next!!

D

Deleted member 51

I had a heartwarming day yesterday. :biglove:

My brother has been spending a few weekends driving to my house to help me renovate. He's such a good brother! He says I am family and this is what family does. :bighug:

Yesterday I insisted on driving his way, instead of him coming here. It was my niece's last day in town for the holidays before she went off to visit her mom. Local storms and other events had interrupted my travels and more or less of forced me to stay near home this season, so my brother and I had decided we'd just celebrate Christmas together. He lives just a few hours away from me.

I arrived in the morning to see my brother's car with the hood up. It had broken down. He was pretty upset. He didn't want to disappoint his daughter.

He was really stuck, had just paid a huge chunk out of pocket for her school trip and didn't have enough cash or credit left to get it fixed.

So this year his present was an alternator.

He's a far better mechanic than I ever knew. While I took his niece out to lunch and girl stuff, he was able to put a new alternator in and fixed the car.

I'm glad I was there and could help. I'm glad I have a brother like him and a sweet niece like her, too.

Merry Christmas, y'all. May the spirit of Christmas fill everyone around you with joy and brotherhood.

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"
Apart from the psychopaths and sociopaths, whom I had dealings with every day in the Sea Org, most of the staff and public were good people, whose only purpose was to help their fellow Man. It pains my heart to know that after all their blood, sweat and tears they actually helped *no one*. All those BILLIONS OF DOLLARS donated, helping *no one*. What good could all that money have done if spent wisely?

How else could that money have been used? Well, Random Acts of Kindness could be one way (which doesn’t necessarily entail large amounts of $$). Something scientologists would *never* do, because it would be “out-exchange” and “rewarding downstats”.

Here’s a video I stumbled across,

Buying All Vendor’s Entire Goods (Paninda) See What They Did Next!!

That instance, buying the all the vendors stuff, might be a wrong move. I can see potential for being resented for playing the rich gringo. On some level it will engender resentment. IMO, it's virtue signaling and a subtle form of disrespect of the culture. I think it's much smarter to blend in and operate in the local economy and not upset it with some grand gesture. Even if that gesture is a gesture of (intended) kindness.

I lived in Mexico for 2 years and Chile for 2 years and I can say I personally would NEVER do that. It's grandstanding.

The better move would be to buy something and give a BIG tip. Which is what I used to do with the shoeshine guys and other vendors in Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso. At that time a shoeshine was 500 CH. peso's so I'd tip the guy 500 peso's along with the price of the shine. You never saw such smiles and appreciation. I just cut his workday down by one shine. I think this approach shows respect.

When I was in Chile if I put on a certain type sweater they wear there I blended in so well that people would come up to me and start jabbering in rapid-fire Castellano thinking I was a local. Then I'd reply in my survival Spanish and the light bulb would come on for them. ;-)

Better to operate from within the culture as a big-tipping 'insider' rather than the rich gringo. When they discover you're a gringo and you look and act just like them and you're a big tipper, that creates something more sincere than grandstanding by showing you can buy all the vendors stuff.

In my opinion and all that.

Last edited:

SuperstarNeilC

It’s best to stay as inconspicuous as possible when extending a kindness. They say giving charity publicly isn’t really charity. Although if you’re doing a lot of good works in a small area your cover may be blown - the locals will get to know you.