New academic paper: "Scientology and times of uncertainty," by Martin Weightman (2020)

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
New academic paper: "Scientology and times of uncertainty," by Martin Weightman (2020).

NOTE: The Introduction to the paper states that the author has been a member of the Church of Scientology for more than 40 years, and a staff member for 33 of those 40 years. He offers an insiders perspective.

Thus, Weightman is still in Scientology and the Sea Org. I believe that this type of thing -- Sea Org executives contributing to academic books, papers and symposiums -- is significant. This is the second time that this has happened in the last few months.

In book: Minority Religions and Uncertainty.

Screenshot_20210506-203821_1620359071699.png

Direct link to access the paper if authorized:

Scientology and times of uncertainty | Taylor & Francis Group

Screenshot_20210506-202705_1620359020450.png

* * * * * BEGIN ABSTRACT * * * * *

This chapter shows how the Church of Scientology and its members have responded to various issues that have challenged its survival – from the death of its founder to threats posed by governments in a number of countries and by certain individuals and groups within society. External pressures have been placed on the Church in different countries for it to close down or to change course from the original direction plotted by its founder. The Church’s management and its members have responded to these threats in various ways. Have the basic tenets of the Scientology religion changed as a result of these pressures? What policies were adopted (or were already in place) to deal with these challenges to its existence and how has Scientology come through these times to become what it is today?

* * * * * END ABSTRACT * * * * *

Via Research Gate to request a copy of the paper from the author:

Scientology and times of uncertainty

Preview of the paper on Books.Google.com --

Minority Religions and Uncertainty

Screenshot_20210506-211125_1620360872060.png

The entire book Minority Religions and Uncertainty is available in hardcover on Amazon for $136.10:

ETA. The entire book Minority Religions and Uncertainty is also available as an e-Book from:

Barnes and Noble (Nook app and devices) for $36.99:

Kobo for $44.09:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/minority-religions-and-uncertainty

Routledge for $44.05, with a 6 month rental for $24 48, and a 12 month rental for $29.37:

/

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

When I was in the Saint Hill RPF in the mid seventies Martin was the cook at Stables. Later he was working with the GO or OSA. Nice guy, duped by the cult as we all were.

ISNOINews

ETA. The entire book Minority Religions and Uncertainty is also available as an e-Book from:

Barnes and Noble (Nook app and devices) for $36.99:

Kobo for $44.09:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/minority-religions-and-uncertainty

Routledge for $44.05, with a 6 month rental for $24 48, and a 12 month rental for $29.37:

/

ISNOINews

The final draft of Chapter 1 of the book
Minority Religions and Uncertainty notes:

How do religious and other ideological minorities respond to uncertainties? - Lancaster EPrints

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The case studies in this volume illustrate the importance of two other factors in assessing responses to uncertainty. One is change over time, and the other is the active role of cultural opponents (Walliss 2004). In terms of the former, studies by Weightman, Robertson and Seig of Scientology show that the group has responded to external uncertainties in different ways at different times, moving backwards and forwards between closed and open responses (CE, OE): the development of conspiracy narratives and a growing sense of persecution are examples of closed responses; the establishment of an external affairs department and the pursuit of legal legitimacy are examples of open responses.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/

Zertel

The final draft of Chapter 1 of the book
Minority Religions and Uncertainty notes:

How do religious and other ideological minorities respond to uncertainties? - Lancaster EPrints

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The case studies in this volume illustrate the importance of two other factors in assessing responses to uncertainty. One is change over time, and the other is the active role of cultural opponents (Walliss 2004). In terms of the former, studies by Weightman, Robertson and Seig of Scientology show that the group has responded to external uncertainties in different ways at different times, moving backwards and forwards between closed and open responses (CE, OE): the development of conspiracy narratives and a growing sense of persecution are examples of closed responses; the establishment of an external affairs department and the pursuit of legal legitimacy are examples of open responses.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/
I was curious as to what kind of credentials you need to get a book published as an "academic paper" and get to charge such high prices. It turns out the co-editor Kim Knott is a Professor of religious and secular studies . . . blah blah at Lancaster University, UK.

I have a sneaky suspicion that these academics crank out papers and buy each others papers and charge them to their institutions. Can't prove it.

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

I was curious as to what kind of credentials you need to get a book published as an "academic paper"
Looks like they might accept work fairly easily...https://www.routledge.com/our-customers/authors/how-to-publish-with-us#

ISNOINews

Looks like they might accept work fairly easily...https://www.routledge.com/our-customers/authors/how-to-publish-with-us#
As I (finally) made clear above. Weightman is still in Scientology and the Sea Org. I believe that this type of thing -- Sea Org executives contributing to academic books, papers and symposiums -- is significant. This is the second time that this has happened in the last few months.

If you Google "Martin Weightman," you will find that he is still quite active on PR lines.

/

La La Lou Lou

As I (finally) made clear above. Weightman is still in Scientology and the Sea Org. I believe that this type of thing -- Sea Org executives contributing to academic books, papers and symposiums -- is significant. This is the second time that this has happened in the last few months.

If you Google "Martin Weightman," you will find that he is still quite active on PR lines.

/
All true, but there's nothing stopping anyone else from writing learned texts about the cult, texts that are not quite so full of PR for the evil cult. Anyone know of anyone who can write academically? If you do get them to contact companies like Routledge who will print their words, and they can earn money too.

I am someone who struggled very hard at writing my dissertation on my degree, I am not at all academic, but we do have some who read our posts or who could be messaged...