L. Ron Hubbard Racist Statements

Karen#1

Excerpt :

A very revealing collection of Hubbard quotes from the wonderful Scientology 101 website.
If you have never read the article at the Home page of this site “Scientology 101” I very much recommend it. It is a brilliant summary of MANY aspects of scientology.

I mentioned in my post of yesterday Scientology Targeting Black America that I would provide this collection today. I also note that many of these quotes come from a time when statements such as these were far more acceptable and commonplace, but that does not change the fact that society was more overtly racist then. You will note, especially in the quotes related to South Africa they also reflect Hubbard’s desire to ingratiate himself with the “powers that be.” Though he so often railed against governments and the “abberrated” men who ran them, he was constantly trying to make efforts to be accepted by them. At least until they expressed overt hostility towards him, then they became his avowed enemies. But even then, if he saw an advantage he could gain, he would say whatever it was that he thought they might want to hear. His willingness to tell “acceptable truths” is very well documented.

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
Mike Rinder wrote:

"It is impossible to read these quotes and not conclude that Hubbard had a very low opinion of anyone who was a member of a non-white race. And some of them would make a dedicated Nazi proud."

Harold#1 wrote:

All or most of them would make many current and former L. Ron Hubbard followers proud.

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Harold#1 wrote:

All or most of them would make many current and former L. Ron Hubbard followers proud.
I am confident that statement is false, and is indeed bullshit. That was certainly not my experience when I was in.

/

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Maybe this forum has given me the wrong impression.

You're a professional troll Harold so you are always going to be actively hunting for things to troll even if that means deliberately misunderstanding other peoples posts or trying to manipulate them to fit your virtue signalling left-wing inclinations. The world is moving on though ... people are getting very tired of minorities and SJW's making ridiculous demands.

You clearly joined ESMB just to try and create discord. I'd prefer it if a pack of actual racists joined us (to trolls) because there may be a chance of some genuine communication taking place with them.

marra

You're a professional troll Harold so you are always going to be actively hunting for things to troll even if that means deliberately misunderstanding other peoples posts or trying to manipulate them to fit your virtue signalling left-wing inclinations. The world is moving on though ... people are getting very tired of minorities and SJW's making ridiculous demands.

You clearly joined ESMB just to try and create discord. I'd prefer it if a pack of actual racists joined us (to trolls) because there may be a chance of some genuine communication taking place with them.
I've had Harold on ignore for quite a while now but he stirs up so much trouble across the board that I have to keep clicking on "show ignored content" to see WTF he's saying now.:dizzy:

onceuponatime

I don't think Scientologists in general are racist, and indeed the church even pushes equality quotes, etc. But as the blog lays out I think it's pretty clear that LRH was himself a racist. Hard to listen to some of those lectures/read the quotes (especially about his time in Africa) and come to any other conclusion.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
He had critical thoughts about everyone except himself. He was a narcissist.
Yep, he certainly did.

Lots of quotes from Hubbard I never heard before. He had so many critical thoughts about a high percentage of the world's population!
I recall a lot of those about South Africa. Not to say that he wasn't racist to some extent, but I still get the impression that the Rhodesian/South African stuff is mostly tactical verbiage to please the local governments.
Either that, or Hubbard just happens to go out on a limb to be racist in a specifically very pro-apartheid way, Then all of a sudden he stops doing that exactly at the time he is kicked out.

So forgive me if I see mostly "Hubbard the cynical manipulator trying to tell people what they want to hear" more than I see just "Hubbard the racist".

Also, I think we can all agree that Hubbards anti-gay views were very strong and he ingrained this in the organization's culture. In comparison, Hubbard's racism was not ingrained in the culture of the organization.

Have I met racist or chauvinist individuals in scn? Sure. For example I saw people say very racist things agaist Venezuelans, even when said Venezuelans happened to be more white than I am. But at the same time, I never got the impression that their racism was supported by or encouraged by the CoS. Their racism did not help them to get ahead in the SO, in fact it kept them back.

So that's my 0.02$. the CoS has a ton of major problems, but racism was never a major focus in my experience.
Homophobia yes. Racism or sexism not really.

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
Not intending to stick up for Hubbard here, but those attitudes were quite common around the world in Hubbard's time.
So singling him out on this to me is viewing past history through a modern lens, which I don't think is quite right.
Sure he was all things evil, even for back in the day otherwise.

Type4_PTS

Yep, he certainly did.

I recall a lot of those about South Africa. Not to say that he wasn't racist to some extent, but I still get the impression that the Rhodesian/South African stuff is mostly tactical verbiage to please the local governments.
Either that, or Hubbard just happens to go out on a limb to be racist in a specifically very pro-apartheid way, Then all of a sudden he stops doing that exactly at the time he is kicked out.

So forgive me if I see mostly "Hubbard the cynical manipulator trying to tell people what they want to hear" more than I see just "Hubbard the racist".

Also, I think we can all agree that Hubbards anti-gay views were very strong and he ingrained this in the organization's culture. In comparison, Hubbard's racism was not ingrained in the culture of the organization.

Have I met racist or chauvinist individuals in scn? Sure. For example I saw people say very racist things agaist Venezuelans, even when said Venezuelans happened to be more white than I am. But at the same time, I never got the impression that their racism was supported by or encouraged by the CoS. Their racism did not help them to get ahead in the SO, in fact it kept them back.

So that's my 0.02$. the CoS has a ton of major problems, but racism was never a major focus in my experience.
Homophobia yes. Racism or sexism not really.

I agree that there was no racist culture among us Homo Novi's, certainly not when I was there. There were very few Black people in the organization back when I was in during the 1980s but that was due to reasons other than racism.

Hubbard was another story though. It was eye-opening to see him say and write all he did about Indian's, Chinese, African's, etc., etc.
He didn't seem to have a very high opinion of any cultures, except some earlier on the whole track. :coolwink: He spoke derogatorily about pretty much everyone that wasn't a Scientologist and somehow contributing towards his organization. Staff members working for 50 cents an hour or public "donating" for services were OK, but everyone else were wogs or degraded beings of some kind or another.

Type4_PTS

Not intending to stick up for Hubbard here, but those attitudes were quite common around the world in Hubbard's time.
So singling him out on this to me is viewing past history through a modern lens, which I don't think is quite right.
Sure he was all things evil, even for back in the day otherwise.

Sure, those attitudes were more common. But Hubbard wasn't just another degraded being like the rest of those on the planet. :no:
Don't ask him how, but he rose above the bank, and was one of the more extraordinary beings in the last 100 or so trillion years!
This is the man who wrote, "What is Greatness?"

That many others were racist isn't a good excuse in my book for him expressing racist or otherwise hateful sentiment.

For myself, I moved to Boston because of the diversity there amongst the people. I believe Boston University alone had students from 110 countries during the time I worked at CoS in Boston.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
I agree that there was no racist culture among us Homo Novi's, certainly not when I was there. There were very few Black people in the organization back when I was in during the 1980s but that was due to reasons other than racism.
Yep, same here in the late 90s and 2000s. There were not many Black people at all, mostly because they were not targeted with recruitment and the fact that in west US not many would have the money to afford serious scn involvement.

Now that I look back, the anti-black sentiment in WUS was mostly limited to ethnic South African boers and their subculture within scn. For example I recall people using the afrikaans racial slur "kaffir", but I do not recall anyone ever use the american style racial slurs like "nigger".
And the actual American members who started using "kaffir" pretty much were using it as a general insult like "idiot" and threw it freely at other WASP members. :D
Heck, I've been called a "fucking sloppy kaffir" a few times myself. I may not be a full WASP, but I'm not black.

We did have people from Latin America and Russia though. Also I had pretty good cross-continental contact with Taiwan and Japan. I honestly don't recall anyone being racist towards East Asian scientologists. If anything, the ethnic Taiwanese were somewhat looked up to as the spearhead of scientology that is poised to expand into Asia. I remember people were very supportive of Taiwan and if there was anything in Asia most scientologists were critical of, it was the Red Chinese government. If anything, people in WUS were rooting for the Chinese to liberate themselves from the communist dictatorship. That includined the boers. :confused:

Again, I do not want to be an apologist for scientology. But I do not think racism was a problem. If anything around race was a problem, it would be CoS hiding away Hubbard's racist statements and not address the issue of Hubbard himself.
But that was a problem with "historical honesty", not really an issue with current policy,

Hubbard was another story though. It was eye-opening to see him say and write all he did about Indian's, Chinese, African's, etc., etc.
He didn't seem to have a very high opinion of any cultures, except some earlier on the whole track. :coolwink: He spoke derogatorily about pretty much everyone that wasn't a Scientologist and somehow contributing towards his organization. Staff members working for 50 cents an hour or public "donating" for services were OK, but everyone else were wogs or degraded beings of some kind or another.
Hubbard was clearly a "western supremacist" in the sense that he considered the Euro-American stratified western societies as the best model and most technologically advanced. His 1920s comments about Asians are racist as heck.

All I'm saying is that he didn't directly imprint this mindset into the organizational culture. So members in the 2000s didn't feel they are being off-source if they weren't racist. I do not recall anyone ever being sent to ethics for not being a white supremacist.
On the other hand, if you were to be pro-gay, you would for sure be considered off-source. People would get sent to ethics for lgbt issues.

So to me that's the big difference. Not so much what was going on in Hubbard's head, but what was going on in the organization he left behind.

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
Sure, those attitudes were more common. But Hubbard wasn't just another degraded being like the rest of those on the planet. :no:
Don't ask him how, but he rose above the bank, and was one of the more extraordinary beings in the last 100 or so trillion years!
This is the man who wrote, "What is Greatness?"

That many others were racist isn't a good excuse in my book for him expressing racist or otherwise hateful sentiment.

For myself, I moved to Boston because of the diversity there amongst the people. I believe Boston University alone had students from 110 countries during the time I worked at CoS in Boston.
Don't get me wrong, the attitude was wrong at the end of the day and still is. My point was that people just thought that way then and very few thought it was wrong to think that way either.

It is only in our so called enlightened times that the attitude has changed. Hubbard in that way was just one of the crowd then. Many famous Americans (and those from other countries too) held similar views, John Wayne being one, Lyndon B Johnson, etc.

Australia didn't really start to change much until the 80s.

Interesting you mention Boston.

Before the Civil War, Boston was well known (well, America in general) for it's anti Irish immigrant sentiments. It's printed media usually depicted the Irish in cartoons of having simian appearance, signs were common saying "Help Wanted, NINA" meaning no Irish need apply. Businesses with Irish owners were frowned upon, especially by the Boston Brahmin class.

If Patrick Kennedy hadn't changed his name to Joseph, JFK may never have become president. He changed his name to improve his business prospects, which turned out to be a sound decision.

Boston has certainly come a long way....