Hi from JustSheila. I'm here!

freethinker

Controversial

freethinker

Controversial
D

Deleted member 51

Is the owl wearing cool sunglasses, a blinder,or redacted so his identity won't be revealed?
Ha, I hadn't even thought of redacted! Could be! I just thought they were cool sunglasses. :)

Hiya Guano! So nice to see you! :bighug:

freethinker

Controversial
Ha, I hadn't even thought of redacted! Could be! I just thought they were cool sunglasses. :)

Hiya Guano! So nice to see you! :bighug:
C, owl sunglasses

D

Deleted member 51

It's too hot to do anything
Image result for so hot outside jokes
more with the lawn today.

Hey FT, I am starting on the garage door insulation today. I have a good thick white plastic and I'm cutting it to size for the sections, with the carpet insulation on the inside. If I have enough plastic, I'll sandwich the insulation between. I actually own an old office holepunch and that will work perfectly so I don't crack the plastic making screw holes.

I also found, like you guys told me, that the insulation around the door and installation itself left gaps. So when it's not too hot to work outside, I'm doing that. Hopefully next weekend.

Then there are my gutters that I need to replace, including the fascia boards on at least one of them. Unfortunately, 16" width fascia boards are a problem to buy. They all seem to be cut to one foot max width. Any suggestions other than cutting them myself? Is there a way to double up the boards with 2x4s or something? I've never done gutters before and desperately need to do them. I bought the gutters and everything else, but want to be all ready to go so I don't leave the house with no gutters.

Then I found one of the downspouts empties where it goes under the deck and next to the house. :omg: That one was leaking so much on the deck because it's so rusted that not much got under the house, at least, but if I don't fix it soon, my deck will suffer. So I rigged up something for it. I have a pile of leftover 1-1/4" PVC pipe plus all the fittings for them. The PVC pipe fits perfectly in my old stovetop drip pan. Weird, huh? I cut 1/2 inch width pieces of the connecting pipe and glued the 1/2 inch end on the drip pan inside with a screen and it's snug and waterproof as can be. So the downspout dumps into the drip pan that then goes down the PVC pipe. Since it's all downhill, it wasn't a problem running the PVC pipe down the house and to the trench below.

I could have bought the 4" but would have needed so much of it, it was expensive. Hopefully with the screen on it, the 1-1/4" PVC pipe will work at least for a year or two. Who knows, maybe longer? After all, it's protected under the house and not under any pressure beyond the water going through. At least it looks good. Nothing is visible, and if you crawl under the deck, only the pan is visible. I might even put rocks in and around it to disguise it completely.

Gawd, I've been in the south too long. I'm turning into a redneck plumber! :omg:

Image result for redneck plumbing

freethinker

Controversial
It's too hot to do anything
Image result for so hot outside jokes
more with the lawn today.

Hey FT, I am starting on the garage door insulation today. I have a good thick white plastic and I'm cutting it to size for the sections, with the carpet insulation on the inside. If I have enough plastic, I'll sandwich the insulation between. I actually own an old office holepunch and that will work perfectly so I don't crack the plastic making screw holes.

I also found, like you guys told me, that the insulation around the door and installation itself left gaps. So when it's not too hot to work outside, I'm doing that. Hopefully next weekend.

Then there are my gutters that I need to replace, including the fascia boards on at least one of them. Unfortunately, 16" width fascia boards are a problem to buy. They all seem to be cut to one foot max width. Any suggestions other than cutting them myself? Is there a way to double up the boards with 2x4s or something? I've never done gutters before and desperately need to do them. I bought the gutters and everything else, but want to be all ready to go so I don't leave the house with no gutters.

Then I found one of the downspouts empties where it goes under the deck and next to the house. :eek:mg: That one was leaking so much on the deck because it's so rusted that not much got under the house, at least, but if I don't fix it soon, my deck will suffer. So I rigged up something for it. I have a pile of leftover 1-1/4" PVC pipe plus all the fittings for them. The PVC pipe fits perfectly in my old stovetop drip pan. Weird, huh? I cut 1/2 inch width pieces of the connecting pipe and glued the 1/2 inch end on the drip pan inside with a screen and it's snug and waterproof as can be. So the downspout dumps into the drip pan that then goes down the PVC pipe. Since it's all downhill, it wasn't a problem running the PVC pipe down the house and to the trench below.

I could have bought the 4" but would have needed so much of it, it was expensive. Hopefully with the screen on it, the 1-1/4" PVC pipe will work at least for a year or two. Who knows, maybe longer? After all, it's protected under the house and not under any pressure beyond the water going through. At least it looks good. Nothing is visible, and if you crawl under the deck, only the pan is visible. I might even put rocks in and around it to disguise it completely.

Gawd, I've been in the south too long. I'm turning into a redneck plumber! :eek:mg:

Image result for redneck plumbing
OK, it's a lot of work but you can use two boards. You have to join the boards. Lots of way to do that. The cheapest and easiest would be to use simpson strong ties, They have ones you can just hammer in before you put the boards up. They would go on the invisible side, If you don't want a seam, you can put 3/4 by 1 1/2 to 2" over the seam. You can put the pitch in for your gutter to rest on and use gutter nails to nail it to the fascia. two 1 x 8's joined will be close to sixteen inches. If you have to have 16 inches then you will have to use 1 x10 joined to 1 x 8. You will have to rip down the 1x 10 so you don't go over 16 inches. Gutters are a lot of work and you need to use a ladder. Are you up to it?

freethinker

Controversial
D

Deleted member 51

Thanks!!! OMG, I never heard of Simpson strong ties! Those would be PERFECT. You're awesome. :bighug:

I'm starting small, with the one that goes under the deck. It's also a standalone on one side of my screened porch and shorter than the others, but easier to reach because of the deck, so yeh, I'm up to it (for that one, at least), I'm trying to start with the easiest one. Not sure if the small one needs a new fascia board. I'm hoping not. It has rust holes all along it and if I'm lucky, just needs replacement. That's the one I set up the drip pan and PVC pipe underneath.

The front one is really bad and needs a new fascia board, too. There's just nothing there to attach the gutter, but the gutter is not rusted or bent, just the board is bad.

Then on one side of the house, the fascia board was replaced in the most awful way, with one board on top of the other and it looks like hell. The gutter works, weirdly enough, but it has to be fixed.

I've put this job off because I was afraid to even try. It can't be delayed any more. With the erosion over the last few months from my idiot neighbor's yard above and him botching up the trench between our houses, the water has been horrific. We are coming into rainy season soon so I have to do it.

D

Deleted member 51

Can you believe it? I mostly mowed the lawn, stopped, get a call, guess what? Someone just gave me a brand new lawnmower. :woohoo:

I shall add to my collection. :LOL: Just got rid of two: refund on one, other completely dead so given to a lawnmower fixit place. Two more dead mowers to get rid of except my truck isn't running, so there they sit - one works okay but not great, now the new one is here, then the two dead ones.

Who pulls in lawnmowers?! That's just weird.

So if someone gives me a brand new mower when I mow, then what happens when I clean the house? Do I get a new house or just a new vacuum cleaner?