Academic paper: How the Church of Scientology Lures in Closeted Individuals, by McKenna Cole

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Academic paper: How the Church of Scientology Lures in Closeted Individuals, by McKenna Cole

How the Church of Scientology Lures in Closeted Individuals

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Added Author

McKenna Cole

Abstract

Using Kate Bornstein's memoir, Queer and Present Danger, as a primary source, HBO’s Alex Gibney’s documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief and several other articles and interview; I will be analyzing the manner in which the Church of Scientology provided closeted homosexual and other ‘sexual deviants’ a false sense of hope. This is done through the promise of a structured community and the possibility of ridding individuals of their homosexual tendencies, which during this time was seen as a mental and physical illness.

Subject

Religions; Religions -- Philosophy; Religions -- History

Journal

Relics, Remnants, and Religion: an Undergraduate Journal in Religious Studies

Publication Date

1-31-2018

Language

English

Publication Place

Tacoma, Washington

Publisher

The University of Puget Sound

Type

article

Recommended Citation

Cole, McKenna (2018) "How the Church of Scientology Lures in Closeted Individuals," Relics, Remnants, and Religion: An Undergraduate Journal in Religious Studies: Vol. 3 : Iss. 1 , Article 1.

Available at:

Download

1,200 DOWNLOADS

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * * *

Direct link to the PDF paper:

https://soundideas.pugetsound.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=relics

Screenshot_20210421-134242_1619039868058.png

Screenshot_20210421-134257_1619039900734.png

Screenshot_20210421-134310_1619039938973.png

Screenshot_20210421-134324_1619039970289.png

Screenshot_20210421-134338_1619040000347.png

Screenshot_20210421-134351_1619040028218.png

Screenshot_20210421-134419_1619040056210.png

/

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
As previously noted, another paper from the same Journal:

The Dangerous Discourse of Dianetics: Linguistic Manifestations of Violence Toward Queerness in the Canonical Religious Philosophy of Scientology.

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The Dangerous Discourse of Dianetics: Linguistic Manifestations of Violence Toward Queerness in the Canonical Religious Philosophy of Scientology

Francesca Retana, University of Puget Sound

Abstract

At present, there is a groundswell of public sensational interest in the subject of Scientology; and, in fact, in the time since I began this research paper, a nine-episode documentary series has premiered and reached finale on A&E titled “Scientology and the Aftermath”— a personal project hosted by sitcom celebrity, ex-Scientologist, and author of Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, Leah Remini.[1] I could not begin to enumerate the myriad exposés/memoirs of ex-Scientologists that have been published in recent years nor could I emphasize enough the rampant conspiracy theories that are at the disposal of any curious mind on what many have termed “the cult” of Scientology. Be forewarned that a simple internet search of “Scientology” plus “Violence” will surely coax one down the rabbit hole of research. I anticipate, however, that a conjunction of the terms “Scientology” and “Homophobia” might prove exceedingly enlightening.

[1] Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. “Disconnection.” Episode 1. Produced by Leah Remini, Eli Holzman, Aaron Saidman, Alex Weresow. A&E, Nov 29, 2016-Jan 17, 2017 ; Remini, Leah, and Paley, Rebecca. Troublemaker : Surviving Hollywood and Scientology. First ed. New York: Ballantine Books, 2015.

Subject

Religions; Religions -- Philosophy; Religions -- History

Journal

Relics, Remnants, and Religion: an Undergraduate Journal in Religious Studies

Publication Date

5-5-2017

Language

English

Publication Place

Tacoma, Washington

Publisher

The University of Puget Sound

Type

article

Recommended Citation

Retana, Francesca (2017) "The Dangerous Discourse of Dianetics: Linguistic Manifestations of Violence Toward Queerness in the Canonical Religious Philosophy of Scientology," Relics, Remnants, and Religion: An Undergraduate Journal in Religious Studies: Vol. 2 : Iss. 2 , Article 4.

Available at:

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Direct link to PDF article:

https://soundideas.pugetsound.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1029&context=relics

* * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

I will argue that the expression of sexuality is violently repressed by the deployment and manipulation of discriminatory language included in Scientology’s canonical texts that introduced the technological philosophy of Dianetics. L.Ron Hubbard’s outlined path to spiritual superiority in his invented, new and alternative religious movement is enduringly plagued by prejudice. The narratives and testimonies of queer and ally defectors/apostates from the institutionalized Church of Scientology include their understanding of the Second Dynamic (or Sex Dynamic) and the ways in which a Dianetic framework of human existence is brimming with unbridled bigotry with the intent to indoctrinate. I will seek to prove that L.Ron Hubbard has equipped Scientology with normalized master tools of manipulation that champion compulsive heteronormativity and in turn diminish, if not erase, autonomy and agency as they relate to the expression of sexuality and gender nonconformity.

* * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

GCGt4dl.png

/