37 years ago: The eerie Hollywood Palladium sendoff for Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard

HelluvaHoax!

What RVY says in that video "...what's amazing is that Scientologists bought this..." (referring to the story of Hubbard going off and researching the next levels. I was on Boston staff at the time watching the event at some nearby venue and I had very serious doubts about the official story we were told. Something just didn't feel right about it to me at all. But I didn't feel safe communicating those doubts to anyone at the time I knew in Scientology. I knew that questioning that story would land me quickly in the Ethics Office in deep trouble or at least I'd be getting a battery of sec checks :D. I'm sure that there were many others who also had doubts about that story. And for the same reason they kept silent. Some may have exited the CoS at that time.
Alas, ethical church members were indoctrinated to police themselves!

I also had very "serious doubts" even before I heard the "official story", because I did not go to that event. My doubt condition was triggered when people kept calling me and saying that there was a "mandatory event for all Scientologists". Something about that word ("mandatory") made me secretly recoil inside and think "Hell No I Won't Go!" LOL

That's perhaps one of the top 3 drivers in all of Scientology that compels people to blow. The fact that they joined Scientology to very curiously and willingly explore the "science" that Hubbard hyperbolically boasted he had discovered. But then, later, the bait-and-switch kicked in and Scientologists started getting ordered around in military fashion and compliance became "mandatory". It's a monumentally shocking transition that goes unnoticed. It's analogous to a family visiting the entertainment theme park DISNEYLAND and (once inside) learning that the exits are blocked by costumed Mikey Mouse and Donald Duck ethics officers who threatened and terrorized you if you tried to leave.

Other than Scientology being a psychotic theme park that betrays you, abuses you, imprisons you and steals all your money, I think it's a lovely religion! LOL

Type4_PTS

yep, that's LRH's ends-justifies-the-means thinking, and situational ethics, at work.

and whatever serves the leadership can be justified as being for the good of the masses, like in Orwell's 1984. possible disruption of the regime or organization, and dealing with the ugly truth, would somehow be worse for the masses and undermine the relative stability that has been brought to them.

Once someone adopts the fanatical KSW mindset anything can be justified. From the policy on Keeping Scientology Working:

"We’re not playing some minor game in Scientology. It isn’t cute or something to do for lack of something better.

The whole agonized future of this planet, every Man, Woman and Child on it, and your own destiny for the next endless trillions of years depend on what you do here and now with and in Scientology.

This is a deadly serious activity. And if we miss getting out of the trap now, we may never again have another chance.

Remember, this is our first chance to do so in all the endless trillions of years of the past. Don’t muff it now because it seems unpleasant or unsocial..."

XenuHimself

The cognitive dissonance in Mr. Broeker must have been immense.
He knew LRH was sick and feeble, wandering around the ranch in a robe and slippers, with unkempt hair and long nails, and asking Sarge to go look for body thetans and build him a suicide machine. It was quite obvious LRH was not at Cause Over Life
But apparently Broeker was a true believer - even years later. When negotiating with the church, all he wanted were LRH's parrot and his truck.
He knew LRH was pissed at him which is why he wasn't often at the ranch in the last couple of years.
If everything we have been told is true about there being no more OT levels, he must have known he was lying in this talk about OT IX and X
We have been told he was a heavy drinker, who liberally spent LRH's money in Vegas gambling and spending time with women.
He wanted to be the new leader of the church and thought he would be the leader. He fully expected to be that leader.
He may have written the 'Loyal Officer' HCOB (If not him then who? We were told it was a forgery)
We have also been told by the detectives who monitored him for years that Broeker was basically a decent guy.

I certainly hope we hear from Pat Broeker before it is too late. What the hell was he thinking? What does he think now?

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
The cognitive dissonance in Mr. Broeker must have been immense.
yeah. and i think ultimately the mindset and rationalizations of people in situations like that can be very hard to gauge. sometimes it turns out hard to make sense of at all. think for example of people who stay in abusive relationships (not entirely unlike being in a cult).

i can see it a variety of ways, including that Pat may have believed that LRH did leave material that would turn out to be advanced levels in the files, only to find out afterwards that there was nothing that could be made sense of -- and apparently DM believed that it was quite possible that there were real advanced levels, too, and that Pat had them.

and i've read that DM treated the Loyal Officer bulletin as authentic at first. so who knows?

i suspect that the PIs were take off Pat, at the point DM made some sort of 'retirement' agreement with him in which, sort of like Debby Cook, he gets to live out the rest of his life comfortably so long as he stays quiet and minds his own business.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
i found something really interesting there:

Those who were in the cult back in 1986-87 will remember this incident. It was a message from Hubbard that was issued as a Sea Org directive. It said goodbye, wishing them well and establishing a new rank/position called Loyal Officer or LO. (The term is taken from OT3.) Pat was to be the LO1 and his wife Annie was to be LO2 and it basically turned the management of the Sea Org over to them. And since the SO ran Scientology, that meant they were at the top of the heap). DM was not mentioned in the directive. It was later was issued to all staff – with DM’s approval and authority – reduced in size and put in a small frame with a photo of Hubbard for the desk of every staff member.
were all staff really given copies of the issue to put on their desks -- before it was ultimately consigned to the memory hole? i've never heard that before, and find it chillingly Orwellian, in part because if it's true, it's an episode that has almost vanished from history, almost as if those who were on staff at the time put their own memories of it down the hole.

Type4_PTS

were all staff really given copies of the issue to put on their desks -- before it was ultimately consigned to the memory hole? i've never heard that before, and find it chillingly Orwellian, in part because if it's true, it's an episode that has almost vanished from history, almost as if those who were on staff at the time put their own memories of it down the hole.

As a staff member I do remember receiving a copy of that issue, not to "put on our desks", but at Boston Org at least it was distributed just like any other issue from what I remember.

And then at some point later we got word alleging that it was a forgery. The LRH Communicator may have gone around the org asking for our copies to take them back. That part is a little fuzzy.. I 'm not 100% sure they were collected back up or not. But I do clearly remember hearing when the issue was cancelled. And just like at the death event itself, I was wondering WTF is going on? I didn't know what to believe, but something didn't seem right to me at all. But I didn't share my thoughts with any other person.

HelluvaHoax!

All this talk about Loyal Officers is very exciting!

I am hoping/postulating that I was not one of Xenu's renegades, but instead a Loyal Officer—just like LO1( Pat Broeker) and LO2 (Annie Broeker)!

...the Loyal Officers revolted and captured Xenu. He was imprisoned in a mountain top on planet Earth (on the island of Madiera) and placed inside a wire cage with an eternal battery (where he remains today). In the battle between the Loyal Officers and Xenu's renegades, most of these planets were turned into billiard balls. Earth was a radioactive cinder, and became known as "The Evil Place."

The entire concept of the Sea Org was said by Hubbard to be "a regathering of the Loyal Officers." This time he and his most trusted officers would not fail. They would "decontaminate" Earth, and later this entire sector of the Galaxy, from the devastation inflicted by Xenu and his renegades.

Has anyone seen something in writing on what Loyal Officer number or rank David Miscavige received? In a confidential briefing I once attended I was r-factored (verbal data) that because Miscavige was Ron's liaison to all of Scientology's management and assets, he was awarded the incredible status of "Loyal Officer Liaison". Some years later when the internet went viral, I heard that Miscavige stopped bragging about or even letting others refer to the super-prestigious rank that LRH gave him (because the abbreviation was LOL).*

Well, anyways that's what I seemed to recall when I was recently running a memory process from the book "Self Analysis", using the high-tech perceptic wheel. I'm fairly it wasn't just my imagination and that for sure all that could have like totally happened—but I haven't scientifically verified it yet with a fully charged e-meter.

Last edited:

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, this is true. I saw the framed issue with photo of Ron on staff desks in DC.