Scientology fail: The natural act every Scientologist fears

Karen#1

Well-known member
TONY ORTEGA
Excerpt:

​
Phil Jones is back with a fun look at the thing that strikes fear into any Scientologist paying for courses at his or her local org.


What are Scientologists afraid of? Here’s one: Yawning during course study.

Yawning when reading something is seen as a sign of misunderstood words in Scientology. If a student is caught yawning, it may be flagged by the Course Supervisor. They can be pulled off course, put on an E-meter session for “word clearing,” then forced to restudy materials.

Word Clearing in Scientology means looking up all definitions of a word, looking up any words in the definition you might not understand, and then looking up words in that definition as needed. This could go on for hours as you went deeper and deeper down these word chains. Studying Hubbard’s dense and often confusing writings is difficult enough; clearing word chains and then redoing the material can feel like punishment.

Back in the '70s I was a course supervisor in the Academy at Scientology Toronto. One of our main activities was to watch students for manifesting any of the Hubbard Three Barriers to Study. (Misunderstood word, Skipped gradient, or Lack of Mass). The main one was always the misunderstood word. Hubbard even went so far as to state that one committed overts (harmful acts) because of an underlying misunderstood word. According to the Hubbard study materials one of the manifestations of a misunderstood was yawning. If you were studying and and started yawning, you were “boiling off unconsciousness” (I know, makes total sense, right?). So, the one main thing we looked for as a supervisor in the Scientology Academy was someone yawning.

READ MORE

 
I'm recalling the super literacy course, where if you graduated it, you never had to have a supervisor do a grueling word clearing again. I had started it and nobody wanted to be the sup for such an inexpensive and LONG endeavor. Someone would have to be double hatted and pulled off other tasks to watch for yawns. Not a fav activity for active young hippie staff members. I felt cheated out of being the fastest student on my soon to arrive at Briefing Course. Yawn.

My excuse for yawning was that I worked til 2 a.m. and teens required 10 hrs sleep, not 7. It was a real bone to pick and a refusal to show up for course ensued. Sat and Sunday were all I'd agree to and their stat went down.

kittensleep-cute.gif
 
Last edited:
Back
Top