Afrikaans terms and boer culture in Scientology

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
While we had Spanish and Russian speakers in the SO, these languages were not used much and never made it into SO or even general scn language. Unlike Afrikaans. For some reason, boer terms crawled their way into the SO, at least in PAC. Dunno, if afrikaaners were more sociable or simply held posts with greater authority that facilitated this,.

I wonder what were your experiences with it? Do you remember any weird afrikaans or maybe dutch terms?

Some I recall:

Beroo - celebrity, somewhat dismissive and slightly derogatory. "That's only for beroos"
Eish - Very hard to translate. something like: "To hell with this". Or "screw that shit". Can be used as a reply to someone talking nonsense, or just as an exclamation of exasperation. ie: "Anchorage is never gonna get their stats up, we might as well stop trying. Eish!"
Figurant - person sent undercover to observe an org, or an event or a scientology building, while given some cover-story role to play out. "Plant".
Kaffir - derogatory term for a black person, sometimes used for non-black critics or opponents of scientology. At times even used as a general insult thrown at anyone whatsoever regardless of skin color ie: "Old man Alpers caused another flap yesterday. Someone shoot that fucking kaffir already!"
Kak - Bullshit
Kai - food. Sometimes used in general as "mealtime", sometimes doubled as kaikai.
krimpie - old man, although very rarely used by a handful of people to refer to an aging case.
kontra - "counter", often used with the hubbardism atatched to it "kontra-intention". I've also heard it used for "out-" as in "kontra-ethics"
plaas - some faraway lowly small org, mission or country with little to no scn presence. Generally "the sticks" or "the boonies". Hicks in the sticks will be "rooineks op de plaas"

wog - We all know this one. I heard many people say it is british slang, but I kind of suspect it might have actually came to scn with afrikaans speakers.

Karakorum

Just recalled one more, that was pretty rarely used around PAC:
buffel - scientology bus. We almost never used it, I recall that someone told me that it originated from South African military slang.

Karakorum

I think I found another one... Janis Grady mentions it in her book.
While she was writing about her life onboard the Apollo, she mentions an outbreak of a very virulent flu when they were in Casablanca which she calls "the grip" and once refers to it using the french term "la grippe".

However, I kind of suspect that it might not have come from French (Morocco is an ex-French colony, but they speak arabic there, not French), but rather from some South African crewmen of the Apollo. Because the afrikaans term for "flu" is actually "griep" and I vaguely remember someone using that at PAC 35 years after the cruise of the Apollo.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
I recall there being big orgs in Johannesburg and Capetown and Rhodesia.

I'm thinking that with how Rhodesia went, and South Africa on the same road, that a lot of parents may have thought that the Sea Org was a good way to get them and their kids out.

Karakorum

I recall there being big orgs in Johannesburg and Capetown and Rhodesia.

I'm thinking that with how Rhodesia went, and South Africa on the same road, that a lot of parents may have thought that the Sea Org was a good way to get them and their kids out.
Oh I know there were South Africans on the Apollo. Joe and Jill van Staden for example (though they were both off the Apollo by the time of the Moroccan flu event). Janis spelled their name as "Von Staden", but from what I recall it was "Van Staden" and it is an Afrikaner surname.

I think @Karen#1 can clarify that part, because I feel silly correcting Janis about people she met in person when I wasn't even born yet.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
When I was in the SO, there was a South African girl I fell in love with, but then she had to go back to SA.

Karakorum

When I was in the SO, there was a South African girl I fell in love with, but then she had to go back to SA.
Yeah, I know how you feel. A lot of people got separated from their loved ones because they got sent to a different base, had to go back to their home country, defected or got declared. :(