Yearning for and the love of being in a group

I-amPneuma8

Not that this is such a dazzling post that will end up being a hot topic...but I just wanted to say that I find it so interesting how people yearn to be in a group. It's in our inherent nature. So many people who have left the group of Scientologists and the SO...have come here to be part of yet another group. Now I don't know whether LRH is the source of defining the Eight Dynamics (and whether he is or not...it does not matter to me) I am NOT saying this to "promote" SCN. The dynamics just happen to be a really great breakdown of what LIFE consists of and the 3rd dynamic is the urge to survive as a GROUP. And here, just as with any group, we have a common bond...former SCN and/or SO members whose experiences were either good, bad, ugly or otherwise. So just for fun, what are some of the groups that you belong to in your lives? I am a member of a Texas Hold-Em Poker Tournament group, a member of several Freshwater Aquarium groups, a member of a professional Social Event & Videographer's group. A member of a Flight Sim Pilot's group. TR

D

Deleted member 51

Yes, we’re definitely social animals by nature‘s design and not lone hunters like cats. We like our common groups, our packs, so to speak. Even those who go off to remote areas away from humans fill that social need with plenty of animals.

brujaaa

shakira shakira
family friends

speaking of which, we will miss you justSheila aka deleted member 51

brujaaa

shakira shakira
I am not sure, a few days ago her account avatar and name changed and the hyperlink disappeared.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
I can empathize with a person who finally wants to leave it all behind and go into another time era of their life.
Also, maybe ask Emma (ESMB1)

Last edited:

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"
I might be a bit of an anomaly. I really like being able to move in and out of groups. Not being tied to one. I'd estimate it's at least 70/30 with me. As in 70% of the time I definitely like being alone.

We could give some $cientological explanations and all that, but it is what it is.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
I might be a bit of an anomaly. I really like being able to move in and out of groups. Not being tied to one. I'd estimate it's at least 70/30 with me. As in 70% of the time I definitely like being alone.

We could give some $cientological explanations and all that, but it is what it is.
No, I don't think that you are an anomaly. :)(There are different personalty types.)

However, do you have specific types of groups in mind or do you mean any group at all? Just curious.

(For example, many computer software engineers can be that way in tech groups.)

Last edited:

Chuck J.

No, I don't think that you are an anomaly. :)(There are different personalty types.)

However, do you have specific types of groups in mind or do you mean any group at all? Just curious.

(For example, many computer software engineers can be that way in tech groups.)
Groups that DEMAND a lot of my time and energy - where I feel like it's not in my best interests to agree to that = no bueno.
Groups that I don't have to (on my.... cult lingo alert: "own determinism") be attached to, I feel much better about being a part of.
Not because I can flake out easier when it gets tough, either. I've been the last guy playing a few times after everyone else quit.

One of the main reasons I lasted as long as I did in the S.O. (11-1/2 mo.) is the fact that I got to drive around Los Angeles and SoCal in a van picking things up for the org, (INCOMM). So I avoided 80% of the org. drama and was able to "feel normal."
When I was posted as course admin and then examiner it quickly became more of a drudge-y situation. Being in there 15 hours a day exposed to the drama, was a soul-killer.

Totally OK when I had some autonomy. When I didn't, meh, not so good.

I'm an INTJ according the Myers-Briggs thing. Supposedly only 4% of the GenPop are INTJ. That test is as far as I'm concerned MUCH better than ANY $cientology personality test / indicators. I took it three times over three months to satisfy my belief in it's accuracy. In fact it was disconcerting how accurate it is. At least in my case.

My brother was a team leader for a software group, he has some funny stories about working with the geeks. He's a geek himself but not a supergeek like those guys. They can be a challenge.

Last edited:

Zertel

Groups that DEMAND a lot of my time and energy - where I feel like it's not in my best interests to agree to that = no bueno.
Groups that I don't have to on my (cult lingo alert: "own determinism") be attached to, I feel much better about being a part of.
Not because I can flake out easier when it gets tough, either. I've been the last guy playing a few times after everyone else quit.

One of the main reasons I lasted as long as I did in the S.O. (11-1/2 mo.) is the fact that I got to drive around Los Angeles and SoCal in a van picking things up for the org, (INCOMM). So I avoided 80% of the org. drama and was able to "feel normal."
When I was posted as course admin and then examiner it quickly became more of a drudge-y situation. Being in there 15 hours a day exposed to the drama, was a soul-killer.

Totally OK when I had some autonomy. When I didn't meh, not so good.

I'm an INTJ according the Myers-Briggs thing. Supposedly only 4% of the GenPop are INTJ. That test is as far as I'm concerned MUCH better than ANY $cientology personality test / indicators. I took it three times over three months to satisfy my belief in it's accuracy. In fact it was disconcerting how accurate it is. At least in my case.

My brother was a team leader for a software group, he has some funny stories about working with the geeks. He's a geek himself but not a supergeek like those guys. They can be a challenge.

MU cleared - lol

Introduction | Architect (INTJ) Personality | 16Personalities
https://www.16personalities.com › ... › Analysts

An Architect (INTJ) is a person with the Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging personality traits. These thoughtful tacticians love perfecting the details of life, applying creativity and rationality to everything they do. Their inner world is often a private, complex one.
.........................................................................................................................

Here's another personality type exposition with nine basic personality types which is kind of fun to play with. I spotted myself as a Type 5 at a quick glance and several other parts of my personality "indicated". For example, from the extended description:

"For better or worse, the areas that Fives explore do not depend on social validation; indeed, if others agree with their ideas too readily, Fives tend to fear that their ideas might be too conventional. History is full of famous Fives who overturned accepted ways of understanding or doing things (Darwin, Einstein, Nietzsche). Many more Fives, however, have become lost in the byzantine complexities of their own thought processes, becoming merely eccentric and socially isolated."
...........................................................................................................................

I'm generally comfortable in my own company and don't require a lot of socializing. In a past life I probably would have been able to be a good hermit. Hey - a lot of people went into caves in the past and came out a few years later "enlightened".

...........................................................................................................................

ETA: I didn't take the test but my second guess while looking at the 16 personality types was "Logician" which seems to fit. Excerpt:

The Life of the Mind
Logicians often lose themselves in thought – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. People with this personality type hardly ever stop thinking. From the moment they wake up, their minds buzz with ideas, questions, and insights. At times, they may even find themselves conducting full-fledged debates in their own heads.

Last edited:

Chuck J.

MU cleared - lol

Introduction | Architect (INTJ) Personality | 16Personalities
https://www.16personalities.com › ... › Analysts

An Architect (INTJ) is a person with the Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging personality traits. These thoughtful tacticians love perfecting the details of life, applying creativity and rationality to everything they do. Their inner world is often a private, complex one.
.........................................................................................................................

Here's another personality type exposition with nine basic personality types which is kind of fun to play with. I spotted myself as a Type 5 at a quick glance and several other parts of my personality "indicated". For example, from the extended description:

"For better or worse, the areas that Fives explore do not depend on social validation; indeed, if others agree with their ideas too readily, Fives tend to fear that their ideas might be too conventional. History is full of famous Fives who overturned accepted ways of understanding or doing things (Darwin, Einstein, Nietzsche). Many more Fives, however, have become lost in the byzantine complexities of their own thought processes, becoming merely eccentric and socially isolated."

I'm generally comfortable in my own company and don't require a lot of socializing. In a past life I probably would have been able to be a good hermit. Hey - a lot of people went into caves in the past and came out a few years later "enlightened".

ETA: I didn't take the test but my second guess while looking at the 16 personality types was "Logician" which seems to fit. Excerpt:

The Life of the Mind
Logicians often lose themselves in thought – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. People with this personality type hardly ever stop thinking. From the moment they wake up, their minds buzz with ideas, questions, and insights. At times, they may even find themselves conducting full-fledged debates in their own heads.
The first time I took the test I was not completely honest and was a bit perfunctory in my answers. The results of the test I blew off as not accurate.
The next month I took it again this time being careful to answer as honestly as I could. Sometimes I had to really search myself for the answer.
The final time I took the test I did the same and it just confirmed the the previous results.

It bothered me a bit that it was so accurate. Not 100% but darn close. It was interesting in that I could see myself how OTHER PEOPLE see me. Or at least the other people who are perceptive enough to notice these types of traits.