What happened to TechLibrary on eBay?

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
Only $5 million for the complete library, wow what a steal.
i thought when i first saw it listed there were fewer zeros in the price. but i could be wrong about that.

it still works out to about $35 per hour for the time involved, a reasonable professional rate -- not even counting the cost of materials acquisition.

i wonder though why they're not offering to sell copies of the electronic version, separately from the unique physical collection. potential copyright and IP issues, or something else?

it seems to me the likely buyer at that high a price would the CoS or a proxy, to take it out of circulation....

it's the sort of thing an indie group ought to buy and make access available to...except as far as i can tell there's not really a stable group with the resources to even house a physical library, which says something.

TheSneakster

it's the sort of thing an indie group ought to buy and make access available to...except as far as i can tell there's not really a stable group with the resources to even house a physical library, which says something.
I've long suspected "TechLibrary" is nothing but a honeypot for OSA INT Internet Investigations Unit to identify Indies, Freezoners, and C of $ member auditors who have gone rogue based upon inquiries about materials. It's not paranoia, if they really are out to get you.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
it seems to me the likely buyer at that high a price would the CoS or a proxy, to take it out of circulation....
Seriously. That's what I've always wondered.

I know they had a bunch of proxy buyers on ebay at the time of the new Basic Books and Lectures campaign quite a number of years ago. They were buying everything in sight to get the cheap ebay goods off the market. I followed down some of the patterns of individual buyers (something I know @Reyne Mayer would think to do too :coolwink:) and it was crazy. Individual buyers buying multiple copies and a hodgepodge of materials with no rhyme or reason. Just reeks of COS proxy buyers, not any kind of normal buyer one could imagine.

I know the Basic Books were going for about $500 and I wanted to look at them. I was curious. I bought a set on ebay for $50 shipped to my door. In the bottom of the box was an identifying receipt. Some parishioner paid the $500 full price for the COS to ship them to the random library. Library did not want them, of course, and sold them on ebay. (I was glad to help out the library with my $50 donation.)

This was happening all over the country, I'm sure. There was just a ton of COS proxy buying that one year, IMO.

cakemaker

I've long suspected "TechLibrary" is nothing but a honeypot for OSA INT Internet Investigations Unit to identify Indies, Freezoners, and C of $ member auditors who have gone rogue based upon inquiries about materials. It's not paranoia, if they really are out to get you.

Nope.
Tech Library was/is legit (unless it's changed ownership).

I bought a number of items from them and they certainly were the type of things the C of $ would dearly want out of circulation.

pineapple

It's a pretty good formula for insanity to devise a meter that has a dial that displays the tiniest reactions, with the reactions (which otherwise would have been overlooked) interpreted as invisible fleas, whose detection is essential to one's survival and well being through the endless future (potentially) agonized trillions of years, with the stated end result being CAUSE OVER LIFE, which is the implied precursor to CAUSE OF LIFE, FORM, MATTER, ENERGY, SPACE, AND TIME, etc.

And, then, when the person who dreamt this up is sitting around in a bathrobe, watching Goldie Hawn movies, and knows that both the meter and its "tech" didn't work, then SAYS NOTHING - That almost looks like evil.
I'm reminded of what Hubbard says in History of Man about the Coffee Grinder Implant:

"The invader gratuitously left these machines around for the yokels. Believing that the treatment was vital to get to heaven or some such thing, the yokels practiced on each other, found new victims and generally spread the implant around."

Especially the part about "believing the treatment was vital to get to heaven or something."

I'd say this is another example of Hubbard warning us against the very thing he's doing to us himself. Evil indeed, never mind "almost."

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
I know they had a bunch of proxy buyers on ebay at the time of the new Basic Books and Lectures campaign quite a number of years ago. They were buying everything in sight to get the cheap ebay goods off the market. I followed down some of the patterns of individual buyers (something I know @Reyne Mayer would think to do too :coolwink:) and it was crazy. Individual buyers buying multiple copies and a hodgepodge of materials with no rhyme or reason. Just reeks of COS proxy buyers, not any kind of normal buyer one could imagine.
clever gurl 😏

what occurs to me is that some of the buying could have been someone like a mission holder picking up materials to resell at better than usual profit, or even an FSM pretending to offer deals on lightly used materials from little old ladies....

i was always surprised at how relatively much sold, particularly the big boxed set. it didn't seem to me that there's enough indie scientology activity left, to account for it, particularly whole boxed sets of stuff. i always figured maybe when members got divorced, one of them was left trying to rebuild their library on the cheap, and resorted to eBay. and if something like that was the case, i wonder if the new 'phone home' emeters that have to be licensed and validated to keep working, ruined the second hand market for meters.

I know the Basic Books were going for about $500 and I wanted to look at them. I was curious. I bought a set on ebay for $50 shipped to my door. In the bottom of the box was an identifying receipt. Some parishioner paid the $500 full price for the COS to ship them to the random library. Library did not want them, of course, and sold them on ebay. (I was glad to help out the library with my $50 donation.)
if the CoS was buying them up, then they might have gotten sold again and gone through the cycle once more, how ironic that would be, sort of a repeat of the deliberate bookstore sales and bestseller list manipulation of the past....

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
Nope.
Tech Library was/is legit (unless it's changed ownership).

I bought a number of items from them and they certainly were the type of things the C of $ would dearly want out of circulation.
thanks, that fits with what i saw. their pattern of sales seemed to be a legit aftermarket.

and that huge set of works isn't exactly priced to attract a lot of inquiries, the way to achieve that would be to list it for a more realistic amount with a 'make offer' option....