What happened to TechLibrary on eBay?

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
They used to list whole sets of materials, and lots of refurbished emeters. it says they've been a Member since: May 19, 2002:

i see now they put listings up as recently as January 25th -- but those were then canceled, whereas it's possible for an eBay seller to just mark themselves as on vacation if they're taking a break for a while. plus though i could be mistaken, it appears to me that they've listed a lot less, recently:

i had gone looking to see if they were offering the Mark Ultra VIII, as i was curious as to whether they could unlock it and resell it after reading this:

TheSneakster

i had gone looking to see if they were offering the Mark Ultra VIII, as i was curious as to whether they could unlock it and resell it after reading this:
Don't bother.

With Mark VIII's, the e-meter is a software simulation program stored in Flash memory on Digital Signal Processor. The thing has a ROM program with a countdown timer that wipes the Flash if it ever reaches zero. At that point, the device is a brick and there is nothing left to unlock. The only way to prevent the thing from bricking itself is plug its USB cable into a PC and log in to the C of S authentication server periodically with valid credentials that get deleted, if one loses their Ethics "good standing".

According to reports, all that operation does is reset the auto-brick countdown timer. I've seen rumors of hacker types spoofing the reset code, somehow. But that's only going to help with a non-bricked meter.

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
They used to list whole sets of materials, and lots of refurbished emeters. it says they've been a Member since: May 19, 2002:

i see now they put listings up as recently as January 25th -- but those were then canceled, whereas it's possible for an eBay seller to just mark themselves as on vacation if they're taking a break for a while. plus though i could be mistaken, it appears to me that they've listed a lot less, recently:

Tried looking in the trash section?

In any case, if you're looking for an emeter, try an older model. I doubt there is any real difference between the less recent and latest models as a tool.

Not that there's anything worth bothering with anyway.....

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
Don't bother.

With Mark VIII's, the e-meter is a software simulation program stored in Flash memory on Digital Signal Processor. The thing has a ROM program with a countdown timer that wipes the Flash if it ever reaches zero. At that point, the device is a brick and there is nothing left to unlock. The only way to prevent the thing from bricking itself is plug its USB cable into a PC and log in to the C of S authentication server periodically with valid credentials that get deleted, if one loses their Ethics "good standing".

According to reports, all that operation does is reset the auto-brick countdown timer. I've seen rumors of hacker types spoofing the reset code, somehow. But that's only going to help with a non-bricked meter.
i was just curious to see, not to buy one. though if i ever found one (an older model) going cheap at a yard sale, i'd grab it for the fun of it....

from what little i know of phone hacking, sideloading, etc., it seems it should be possible to either keep one working, or reload one that had stopped. the question is if it's worth the trouble to work out how to do it, including whether there's a market left for it outside of the CoS, and apparently not....

Last edited:

TheSneakster

... including whether there's a market left for it outside of the CoS, and apparently not....
Nobody outside the C of S wants one of these self-immolating bits of garbage. C of S Mark VIII meters are effectively rentals. :mad:

The Independents and Freezoners have electronics experts who make psychogalvanometers of their own designs which function identically.

Some of these Indie devices have additional features not found on C of S meters like Internet-based remote metering and digital session logging.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
Nobody outside the C of S wants one of these self-immolating bits of garbage. C of S Mark VIII meters are effectively rentals. :mad:

The Independents and Freezoners have electronics experts who make psychogalvanometers of their own designs which function identically.

Some of these Indie devices have additional features not found on C of S meters like Internet-based remote metering and digital session logging.
obviously there's still something of a market for the old analog meters that do bring some real money (if only 10% or less of their inflated original price), but i assume part of the equation for trying to figure out how to resuscitate the fully electronic model is that at that point it's simpler, cheaper and probably better to just buy one of those indie ones.

haven't i heard that the Mark VIII has something like remote metering? fwiw....

onceuponatime

I haven't heard anything about remote metering being a thing with the Mark VIII, that would go against a lot of Scientology principles. @TheSneakster is correct when he says they have to be connected to the internet every so often and verified with COS servers so that they continue to work. I don't know what all goes into that or how hard it would be to disable/spoof the server or otherwise get around it.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
I haven't heard anything about remote metering being a thing with the Mark VIII, that would go against a lot of Scientology principles. @TheSneakster is correct when he says they have to be connected to the internet every so often and verified with COS servers so that they continue to work. I don't know what all goes into that or how hard it would be to disable/spoof the server or otherwise get around it.
i checked and could only find reference to remote testing of the meter, so perhaps i had it wrong.

i assume hackers going to any trouble would just want to fix it so it didn't even need to authorize, kind of like unlocking a phone.

TheSneakster

haven't i heard that the Mark VIII has something like remote metering? fwiw....
No. C of S Mark Super VII's and Mark VIII's have a special serial communication cable so that an auditing practical supervisor at their desk may see what is happening on the student auditor's meter. However, C of S meters do not support any sort of remote distance auditing as that is considered extremely Out-Tech. Standard Tech Indies generally regard that practice as highly squirrel, also.

TheSneakster

i assume hackers going to any trouble would just want to fix it so it didn't even need to authorize, kind of like unlocking a phone.
This device is nothing like a cell phone. The auto-wipe function is *hardware* built into the Digital Signal Processing chip. That function is not hackable except by a very high-end electronics wizard with the training and equipment to do physical surgery on 40-50nm architecture microchips (to alter the ROM storage contents).

haiqu

No. C of S Mark Super VII's and Mark VIII's have a special serial communication cable so that an auditing practical supervisor at their desk may see what is happening on the student auditor's meter. However, C of S meters do not support any sort of remote distance auditing as that is considered extremely Out-Tech. Standard Tech Indies generally regard that practice as highly squirrel, also.
Not half as squirrely as the guys who do telepathic telephone auditing while THEY hold the cans!

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
This device is nothing like a cell phone. The auto-wipe function is *hardware* built into the Digital Signal Processing chip. That function is not hackable except by a very high-end electronics wizard with the training and equipment to do physical surgery on 40-50nm architecture microchips (to alter the ROM storage contents).
Somehow I doubt that Scn paid for the costs to develop a custom DSP chip for their e-meters. It's more likely that there's software on EEPROM, in which case it should be readable and a replacement chip created. Or just stay with Mark VII technology.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
You're right. Once the flash has been wiped, it's wiped. BUT, if you can copy the flash before it got wiped, it can be restored.

mimsey borogrove

Seems a lot of work, when a mk 7 works just fine with no brick-mode to contend with. I am guessing you could "forget" to bring your brick to flag for your 6 mos check and borrow someone's. This is like a lot of subscription software - it freezes until you make another payment. If you fail to update your brick, will they notify ethics, and stick you in a condition if you continue solo auditing past the expert date?
Mimsey

haiqu

When a special edition Quantum meter can be had for AU$500 (USD365) why would anyone want a Mk VIII ?????

Besides, they're pug fugly.

mimsey borogrove

I have a feeling that "brick mode" was the primary feature of the Mark VIII, as a way to stop independents from getting "standard" meters.
Sure, but that's a small portion of the meters in use. I think they are the only legal meter. Read this from Scientology cult web site ( link below) :

Mark VIII Ultra E-Meter REVEALED
PDF
Saturday, 13 February 2010 01:05
Special thanks goes to Tommy Davis for leaving the Mark VIII Ultra E-Meter designs laying around. It's only natural he would make mistakes. ~ FreeSpirit

Hello to all Independent Scientologists.

Maybe you’ve heard rumors of a new e-meter. Here is the story.

During the evolution to create the Mark Super VII Quantum, the idea began to create a new E-meter using digital technology. In 2000 a project was launched to get this going.

mark-viii-emeter-14
Some of the goals for this new design included,

1) Make it cost 1/10 of the current Quantum Mark Super VII to produce.

2) Vastly upgrade/improve the existing design which is somewhat heavy and clunky with its snap-on shield.

3) Give it at least ten times the precision of the current E-Meter as far as the reads and F/Ns are concerned.

4) Set the retail price under $1,000.

5) Make it possible to update its software via the Internet like an iPod so sending in the meter every two years for a new “Silver Certificate” are unnecessary.

mark-viii-emeter-10
6) Include a set of high-tech ultra-light cans with an open top so the preclear’s hands do not sweat while in session (responsible for creating false TA).

7) Would include a newly re-designed Remote Tone Arm.

8) Would include newly re-designed light-weight spacers for solo auditing.

9) Make it so that the meter could also digitally record and play back reads.

10) Ergonomics of the meter case were redesigned and upgraded to make it more comfortable to use with smoother and less distracting (to the pc) operation.

To push this project through to completion, Miscavige brought in CST executives who had proven themselves among the most capable of all Sea Org members for tasks that required highly technical electronic or manufacturing science or engineering.

This was in fact the same crew members who had created the,
  • Church’s new clamshell CD's binders (not that CDs are even needed, since there is no reason except profit that the world can’t download LRH tech like iTunes),
  • Preservation archive of the LRH Tech (including acid-free archival paper and ink made of hyper-durable linen and flax fibers tested to last ten thousand years; all written materials re-produced as stainless steel metal plates encased in titanium cases, sealed in nitrogen, encased in flame resistant covers, buried in underground vaults; plus phonographic discs made of pure nickel, of LRH’s recorded lectures which can play back using a solar-powered amplifier; plus much more)
  • Design of the CD player and amplifier,
  • All the new gadgetry that DM wanted for Super Power delivery (not that any of this was actually needed, since LRH basically created the Super Power Rundown in 1978 -- long before any of his gadgets even existed! DM needed and still does need an excuse as to why, since 1978, Super Power has not been released).
mark-viii-emeter-12
That crew included,
Russ Bellin – CO CST
Tom Vorm – D/CO Prod CST
Tom Willis – Dir R&D CST
Michele Wheelis – O/O CST
Bert Trussell – Int Project 3rd CST
Reiko Abo Morrison – private pro designer

After nearly two years of very hard work, research and very little sleep (2002), this CST team developed the final product called the "New Mark VIII Ultra E-Meter." Getting there required hundreds of prototypes, designed, produced, and tested by auditors at the Int base.

Notwithstanding the fact that nearly everyone receiving auditing at the Int base were receiving DM’s personal executive C/Sing (grossly out tech per LRH), the tests using the E-meters themselves were deemed a resounding success. HGC auditors at the Int base promptly refused to use any other meter. (2002)

It is also of interest that during those two years several “flaps” came to light at the Int base. 1) The Silver Certificate requirements were completely unnecessary, but were a primary income source to Gold... a cash cow. So have been allowed to continue. 2) The Quantum was grossly overpriced. But again, at $4,000 the money was too good to pass up.

The performance of this new E-meter was so advanced that DM decided to give a prototype to his “best friend forever” Tom Cruise so Tom could use it for his solo auditing. (2002)

mark-viii-emeter-11
The guts of every Mark Super VII Quantum E-meter in use by Flag auditors were secretly swapped out for the electronics of the Mark VIIIs. Ever since, Flag auditors have been using Mark VIIIs in the Mark VII shell.

The final product was finalized and produced... not at Golden Era Productions but in Japan to cut production cost and improve profitability (2004). 

Over 20,000 of the New Mark VIII Ultra E-Meters were manufactured (all with silver color) and shipped to the United States where they have been sitting in Bridge Publications warehouse since 2004.

Six years after the final production of those New Mark VIII Ultra E-Meters, they still sit on the shelf.

And what happened to those top-notch SO members after DM got what he wanted? He crushed their creativity and integrity and send them all into the SP hall. None of them survived on their post and all have been suppressed in the extreme.

mark-viii-emeter-13
Throughout 2003, DM extolled the primary virtue of his “grand marketing plan” to re-release all the books and materials as the Golden Age of Knowledge, including the “Basics,” “Congresses” and “ACC lectures”... culminating in the release of the new Mark VIII. The primary virtue was how to maximize profits and how to milk each release for all it was worth.

Miscavige has not released his great new Mark VIII meter but instead has continued selling the Quantum for roughly $4000 each (way over priced) for the same reason he hasn’t released Super Power since 1978, or even completed his empty Super Power cathedral (even though he broke ground in 1998 -- twelve years ago). Most importantly, he hasn’t released the actual OT Levels (yet he launched the Freewinds in 1986 expressly for that purpose). Obviously there is a pattern here.

mark-viii-emeter-15
It seems that DM is going for the money with the current Mark Super VII E-Meter sold to public for over $4000. If he was not he would have released the Ultra Mark VIII a long time ago.
Written by FreeSpirit

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
I have a feeling that "brick mode" was the primary feature of the Mark VIII, as a way to stop independents from getting "standard" meters.
it looks to me like there are more than enough relatively recent meters up through the VII floating around (not to mention the non co$ ones) for indies, i'd guess like many things it is more aimed internally at controlling the membership and punishing them if they stray, though i'm sure they had in mind denying them to indies as well.

and there's no sign of TechLibrary back on eBay....

Riddick

I clap to no man

A few things could have happened.

1. DM and his lawyers got to him thru a letter (threat for sueing).

2. He went on vacation.

3. He found the market for reselling scientology stuff was not profitable anymore.

I've sold a few emeters to him, I put it up as buy it now, he countered offer with a price, I ok's it. I've also sold some book packages to him, same deal. This was a few years back. He resold them thru Ebay.

I had a dilemma when I sold these things on Ebay, should I recover some money from paying top dollar inflated rhetoric prices for emeters and books or should I trash them so nobody can reuse them. Plus the dilemma of selling scientology stuff using my Ebay store. (I have been selling on Ebay for over 20 years with 11,000 feedback).

I sold some, and trashed some.

Tech library bought the old wooden case emeters for a few hundred, I was happy. But only to make some bucks.

Here's the thing which probably nobody will get, the old wooden case emeters and, even the Volney Emeter, are the emeters that Hubbard used with Marry Sue Hubbard in the 1950's PDC's lectures of how Hubbard researched Whole Track and past lives, and those lectures are rhetoric apparent proof of sound reasoning, logos.

So, here we are in the year 2022, and nobody has even gone clear, or OT, or returned from past life. People have listened to thousands of hours of Hubbard's rhetoric lectures, in the early days was on Reel to Reel tapes, then cassette tapes with scientology "Clear Sound" IIRC, then CD's..

And then there have been thousands of books sold, yet nobody has gone clear, OT, or returned from past life.

What a rhetoric racket it all is.

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
A few things could have happened.

1. DM and his lawyers got to him thru a letter (threat for sueing).

2. He went on vacation.

3. He found the market for reselling scientology stuff was not profitable anymore.

I've sold a few emeters to him, I put it up as buy it now, he countered offer with a price, I ok's it. I've also sold some book packages to him, same deal. This was a few years back. He resold them thru Ebay.

I had a dilemma when I sold these things on Ebay, should I recover some money from paying top dollar inflated rhetoric prices for emeters and books or should I trash them so nobody can reuse them. Plus the dilemma of selling scientology stuff using my Ebay store. (I have been selling on Ebay for over 20 years with 11,000 feedback).

I sold some, and trashed some.

Tech library bought the old wooden case emeters for a few hundred, I was happy. But only to make some bucks.

Here's the thing which probably nobody will get, the old wooden case emeters and, even the Volney Emeter, are the emeters that Hubbard used with Marry Sue Hubbard in the 1950's PDC's lectures of how Hubbard researched Whole Track and past lives, and those lectures are rhetoric apparent proof of sound reasoning, logos.

So, here we are in the year 2022, and nobody has even gone clear, or OT, or returned from past life. People have listened to thousands of hours of Hubbard's rhetoric lectures, in the early days was on Reel to Reel tapes, then cassette tapes with scientology "Clear Sound" IIRC, then CD's..

And then there have been thousands of books sold, yet nobody has gone clear, OT, or returned from past life.

What a rhetoric racket it all is.
No, the wooden case meters (Mark V) are not from the 50's. Not sure exactly, but late 60's or even 70's for the Mark V.

You do have an interesting point. The Matheson meters were the meters used in the early 50's. By George I think you've discovered the KEY to failure to make clears and OTs. It was Volney's meters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. Something to do with the tubes and theta frequency interaction I'm sure. It's all above my head but I'm sure Dr. Hubbard, being a nuclear rocket jockey and all, had it all figured out and forgot to write it down. Lost tech ya know?