Welcome to Ex Scientologist Message Board Redux

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Interesting. Imo, there is a lot going on with language influences. TV, movies, computer technology, family and other social input all influence language, both written and spoken. I am someone who has a tendency to absorb accents. Put me with some foreigners for a week and my pronunciation begins to change.

I think you are right about the reading thing. I also think the foundation development is contributory. A child that is encouraged to read and develop a strong healthy relationship with words is, imo, more likely to be a good speller than a kid who isn't comfortable with words/reading. I also think there is a component of natural aptitude. I've known some super smart people, who love to read but can't spell to save themselves. Language is fascinating stuff, imo.
Indeed!

I was very lucky, I inherited a whole cupboard with many shelves stuffed full of books belonging to my older brother when I was young, and I developed a love for reading from those. Æsop's Fables, Tom Brown's Schooldays, Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Water Babies, The Jungle Book ... oh, the list goes on and on.

Oh, by the way, in an earlier post you said "I remember back in the late 1700's". Were you serious?

Last edited:

Glenda

Indeed!

I was very lucky, I inherited a whole cupboard with many shelves stuffed full of books belonging to my older brother when I was young, and I developed a love for reading from those. Æsop's Fables, Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Water Babies, The Jungle Book ... oh, the list goes on and on.

Oh, by the way, in an earlier post you said "I remember back in the late 1700's" . Were you serious?
Yeah I had loads of books at home and I was often a solitary kid so books were really important to me. Plus I had some amazing teachers in my early years who supported my love of reading/words.

The "..back in the late 1700's" is how it seems to me sometimes. I started school in the 1960's but looking back to then seems like a very long time ago. And oddly, some days it seems just like yesterday. :)

Zertel

I think he clicked on the RSS feed button
You are welcome. My pleasure. Standards must be upheld. :)

The English language is under major evolution (or devolution depending on how is it viewed) due to technology. I have noticed that text language is now in verbal use. I.e. "I went to a great party at the weekend. Jo was so I funny I was lol'ing the whole night. You should have seen what Jim was wearing. OMG." And my experience with that type of thing is not just with young people. Folk in their 50's will say stuff like that depending on their level of exposure to computer/phone technology.

I think the world has been full of crappy spellers for longer than this modern computer technology has been around. I remember back in the late 1700's when I was at school, some kids in my classes had atrocious spelling. Me? I have always loved words and was good(ish) at spelling. I am more aware of awful spelling because it is streaming into my phone/computer. My point being is we are being more exposed to a much larger sector of population using written language. If that makes sense.

I have noticed that Americans are still spelling words like "organizsation" wrong. What is with that "z" spelling? I keep meaning to do a bit of research on it but haven't got around to it. And "flavour" is not spelt "flavor". Jeez! Then things get really personal, & complicated, when someone thinks I am British because I spell words correctly. I am not British, I am from the colonies New Zealand. :eyeroll: :)
Political correctness also enters the equation. I'm waiting for a new word for "mankind". Peoplekind?

freethinker

Controversial
Political correctness also enters the equation. I'm waiting for a new word for "mankind". Peoplekind?
I think it's People of Color but the term doesn't include everyone

freethinker

Controversial

JackStraw

We already have a perfectly serviceable word for this concept: MAN
I even consulted a dinky dictionary, the O.E.D. (you know, the 20 or so volume one.)
The word MAN is defined (original definition) "a human, irrespective of age or sex."
So, for example, a policeman is a human, irrespective of age or sex who is a member of the police force.
Hence, mankind is NOT limited to one sex. All we need to do is word-clear the English-speaking world! Simple.

Jack (former Pro Word-Clearer)

Zertel

We already have a perfectly serviceable word for this concept: MAN
I even consulted a dinky dictionary, the O.E.D. (you know, the 20 or so volume one.)
The word MAN is defined (original definition) "a human, irrespective of age or sex."
So, for example, a policeman is a human, irrespective of age or sex who is a member of the police force.
Hence, mankind is NOT limited to one sex. All we need to do is word-clear the English-speaking world! Simple.

Jack (former Pro Word-Clearer)
I agree. For a million years in written language man, he, himself and so on has been considered gender neutral. Oh well. Times have changed. You can't get away with it anymore.

freethinker

Controversial