Welcome to Ex Scientologist Message Board Redux

Glenda

I think you saved a few people from despair and will be appreciated for it. I think most that are here now can self moderate which will make it easier for you and they know how to settle down new uppity's so, REALLY, you did good.
My bolding. I trust you are not including me in that tribe?!?!?! :p

I've been awake most of the night getting my thread-derailing Kylie Minogue videos lined up. When the threads here start really rolling out...I am ready!

So here we have a middle-aged woman who is very low on sleep, armed with a playlist of Kylie Minogue vids. What could possibly go wrong. :eek:

Oh no! There is a typo in the smilies section. Friendship has a "D". I think I may need to throw a tantrum. Correct spelling is essential. :)

freethinker

Controversial
My bolding. I trust you are not including me in that tribe?!?!?! :p

I've been awake most of the night getting my thread-derailing Kylie Minogue videos lined up. When the threads here start really rolling out...I am ready!

So here we have a middle-aged woman who is very low on sleep, armed with a playlist of Kylie Minogue vids. What could possibly go wrong. :eek:

Oh no! There is a typo in the smilies section. Friendship has a "D". I think I may need to throw a tantrum. Correct spelling is essential. :)
Rocka Bye Baby, on the tree tops. When the wind blows, the cradle will rock....

Glenda

What? Where? When?
It's all okay stratty. On the first night/day this board was up and running I found a typo in a heading in the smilies list. Naturally I struggled greatly when I realised what I was seeing. I kept looking at the heading typo and shaking my head and twitching. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! And you weren't here because you are in a timezone where people sleep when I am awake. It was just awful stratty.

Anyway I gathered my wits, put down the pearls I was clutching and let the board admin know. Thank goodness P&B responded rapidly (he seems to have some sort of rapid response unit activated) and I was able to calm down knowing that when you woke the typo would no longer exist.

I was hoping you would not notice what had happened. All is well. :)

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
The help button at the very bottom next to 'Privacy policy'?

Works ok for me. If that's not the button you mean, where is it?

freethinker

Controversial
The help button at the very bottom next to 'Privacy policy'?

Works ok for me. If that's not the button you mean, where is it?
I think he clicked on the RSS feed button

freethinker

Controversial

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
It's all okay stratty. On the first night/day this board was up and running I found a typo in a heading in the smilies list. Naturally I struggled greatly when I realised what I was seeing. I kept looking at the heading typo and shaking my head and twitching. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! And you weren't here because you are in a timezone where people sleep when I am awake. It was just awful stratty.

Anyway I gathered my wits, put down the pearls I was clutching and let the board admin know. Thank goodness P&B responded rapidly (he seems to have some sort of rapid response unit activated) and I was able to calm down knowing that when you woke the typo would no longer exist.

I was hoping you would not notice what had happened. All is well. :)
Thank you my dear, I'm glad to hear that you were keeping the show on the road while I was off in the land of nod.

In truth, the standard of spelling and grammar among the inmates of this particular asylum is remarkably good, (yes, I know that we've all got spellcheckers) but if you ever read the reviews on YouTube or Amazon for example, the spelling generally is atrocious. What the fuck are they teaching the kids in school these days I wonder?

Glenda

Thank you my dear, I'm glad to hear that you were keeping the show on the road while I was off in the land of nod.

In truth, the standard of spelling and grammar among the inmates of this particular asylum is remarkably good, (yes, I know that we've all got spellcheckers) but if you ever read the reviews on YouTube or Amazon for example, the spelling generally is atrocious. What the fuck are they teaching the kids in school these days I wonder?
You are welcome. My pleasure. Standards must be upheld. :)

The English language is under major evolution (or devolution depending on how is it viewed) due to technology. I have noticed that text language is now in verbal use. I.e. "I went to a great party at the weekend. Jo was so I funny I was lol'ing the whole night. You should have seen what Jim was wearing. OMG." And my experience with that type of thing is not just with young people. Folk in their 50's will say stuff like that depending on their level of exposure to computer/phone technology.

I think the world has been full of crappy spellers for longer than this modern computer technology has been around. I remember back in the late 1700's when I was at school, some kids in my classes had atrocious spelling. Me? I have always loved words and was good(ish) at spelling. I am more aware of awful spelling because it is streaming into my phone/computer. My point being is we are being more exposed to a much larger sector of population using written language. If that makes sense.

I have noticed that Americans are still spelling words like "organizsation" wrong. What is with that "z" spelling? I keep meaning to do a bit of research on it but haven't got around to it. And "flavour" is not spelt "flavor". Jeez! Then things get really personal, & complicated, when someone thinks I am British because I spell words correctly. I am not British, I am from the colonies New Zealand. :eyeroll: :)

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
You are welcome. My pleasure. Standards must be upheld. :)

The English language is under major evolution (or devolution depending on how is it viewed) due to technology. I have noticed that text language is now in verbal use. I.e. "I went to a great party at the weekend. Jo was so I funny I was lol'ing the whole night. You should have seen what Jim was wearing. OMG." And my experience with that type of thing is not just with young people. Folk in their 50's will say stuff like that depending on their level of exposure to computer/phone technology.

I think the world has been full of crappy spellers for longer than this modern computer technology has been around. I remember back in the late 1700's when I was at school, some kids in my classes had atrocious spelling. Me? I have always loved words and was good(ish) at spelling. I am more aware of awful spelling because it is streaming into my phone/computer. My point being is we are being more exposed to a much larger sector of population using written language. If that makes sense.

I have noticed that Americans are still spelling words like "organizsation" wrong. What is with that "z" spelling? I keep meaning to do a bit of research on it but haven't got around to it. And "flavour" is not spelt "flavor". Jeez! Then things get really personal, & complicated, when someone thinks I am British because I spell words correctly. I am not British, I am from the colonies New Zealand. :eyeroll: :)
What surprises me is the way that 'the kids' here are speaking. A lot of them, predominately white kids from working class backgrounds, have developed this peculiar affectation when they talk, and they sound (to me) something like the way black kids from south London speak. Strange.

As far as spelling is concerned I've always maintained that the better spellers among us are probably those who have read more. Reading imprints the way a word should look in one's mind and makes it easier to spot a misspelling. That's my thinking anyway.

Last edited:

Glenda

What surprises me is the way that 'the kids' here are speaking. A lot of them, predominately white kids from working class backgrounds, have developed this peculiar affectation when they talk, and they sound (to me) something like the way black kids from south London speak. Strange.

As far as spelling is concerned I've always maintained that the better spellers among us are probably those who have read more. Reading imprints the way a word should look in one's mind and makes it easier to spot a misspelled word. That's my thinking anyway.
Interesting. Imo, there is a lot going on with language influences. TV, movies, computer technology, family and other social input all influence language, both written and spoken. I am someone who has a tendency to absorb accents. Put me with some foreigners for a week and my pronunciation begins to change.

I think you are right about the reading thing. I also think the foundation development is contributory. A child that is encouraged to read and develop a strong healthy relationship with words is, imo, more likely to be a good speller than a kid who isn't comfortable with words/reading. I also think there is a component of natural aptitude. I've known some super smart people, who love to read but can't spell to save themselves. Language is fascinating stuff, imo.