Total freedom

Barile

What does Scientology say abou a total freedom? What is freedom and when it is total?
hmmm. Before asking what "Scientology" thinks or says, consider that it is a group activity, made up of individuals interacting in an established setting.

This condition yields some odd side effects like group think, wanting to belong/contribute with a reluctance to oppose the general consensus for fear of being socially excluded. It is no different than most group activities where belief and behavior are key components. I've heard a crude
observation from some, "If ya ain't with us, you're against us." A rather monolithic mindset, which attempts to legitimize and enforce group think.

There is a little management parable that one encounters which is easy to grasp and probably reflects experiences you've already had. It's called
the Abilene Paradox. Here's a three minute explanation:

I ran across this while engaged in software engineering, where my customer consisted of a very large group of untrained people, who had needs
but did not understand the needs of everyone in the group, and did not understand the 40,000 foot view of what was practical to acheive or even possible to do without creating unwanted side effects in things they knew nothing about. So there was this dynamic where the most outspoken people would influence the group in meetings, the less outspoken would simply nod in agreement without critical thought and without enough background to have a useful discussion, and then "agree" that this is what they needed. As the senior engineer and programmer, it was my task
to attempt to educate them and find suitable compromises. Not an easy task.

To the question, what is freedom and when is it total... I'm pretty sure that "total" is a relative term, because even in physics, absolutes are not
possible within the laws of nature. As for freedom, I'd imagine that you would be the ultimate judge of that. Kind of a personal question, to be honest. I don't think it's the same for everyone, under varying conditions. What do you think, or would you rather be told what to think?

Karakorum

Broke ranks over 10 years ago, never looked back
What does Scientology say abou a total freedom? What is freedom and when it is total?
Total freedom is supposed to be a return to the original primordial godlike state of all beings that we supposedly had before we got entangled in the physical universe.

It is something you are supposed to achieve at the end of the scientology bridge. The bridge was supposed to be at least 15 OT levels, but only the first 7 got released during Hubbard's lifetime. Level 8 was released after his death using various leftover notes and ideas by other people. So the bridge is barely 50% complete and nothing in this regard has changed since the 1980s.

BUT it all doesn't really matter, because even the released 8 levels don't do anything except making people feel good about themselves.

If scientology was a PC game, it would be one of those overhyped crowd funded projects that end up released as an early beta. Then it gets instantly abandoned with only 8 of the planned chapters available and none of the promised features. Scientology is essentially very expensive, unfinished and broken abandonware.

"Is it worth a buy?" Heck no.

HelluvaHoax!

The term "TOTAL FREEDOM" is a marketing contrivance with no corresponding product that can be delivered--by reason of the fact that no such products were ever once produced.

Scientology is, essentially, wall-to-wall marketing gimmicks. That's what Scientology does---it sells words. Some examples include:

CLEAR

OT

TOTAL CAUSE OVER LIFE

A CLEARED PLANET

MANKIND'S BEST FRIEND

THE MODERN SCIENCE OF MENTAL HEALTH

WE COME BACK

EXTERIOR WITH FULL PERCEPTION

TOTAL KNOWINGNESS

TOTAL CERTAINTY

SUPERPOWER

Those are just the first that came to mind.

There are literally hundreds of other such hyperbolic rhetorical slogans

None of those terms, phrases or clauses describe an actual thing that exists. None of those things exist in this universe or any other. They are empty abstractions. It's a PT Barnum side-show barker's pitch as people walk nearby. He is trying to sell tickets into the tent, but there is nothing inside the tent.

The only people who do NOT know that these expressions are meaningless are Scientologists. In their credulous, compliant and/or creative minds, the Scientologists are the ones defining the words for themselves. Thus, each person has a unique concept of that the words mean.

One needn't try to figure out what the terms mean or "clear" the words. Because there NO MEANING embedded in any of them. The best analogy to understand this is this:

SCIENTOLOGISTS SELL TREASURE MAPS TO LOCATIONS THAT DO NOT
HAVE ANY TREASURE. BUT THAT'S NOT THE CRUELEST TRICK. BECAUSE
THE LOCATIONS, TOWNS & STREETS THEMSELVES DO NOT EXIST EITHER!
WHEN A SCIENTOLOGIST CRUMPLES UP AND THROWS AWAY ALL
THE MAPS THEY EVER BOUGHT FROM SCIENTOLOGY, THAT'S
THE MOMENT THEY HAVE ATTAINED "TOTAL FREEDOM"

Last edited:

Dotey OT

For sale, baby shoes, never worn
Total is one of those "Here is what makes scientology so valuable" adjectives:

Total Certainty
Total Knowingness
Total Cause
Total Freedom

Rhetoric, marketing, falsehood. Whatever you would like to call it.

popc

hmmm. Before asking what "Scientology" thinks or says, consider that it is a group activity, made up of individuals interacting in an established setting.

This condition yields some odd side effects like group think, wanting to belong/contribute with a reluctance to oppose the general consensus for fear of being socially excluded. It is no different than most group activities where belief and behavior are key components. I've heard a crude
observation from some, "If ya ain't with us, you're against us." A rather monolithic mindset, which attempts to legitimize and enforce group think.

There is a little management parable that one encounters which is easy to grasp and probably reflects experiences you've already had. It's called
the Abilene Paradox. Here's a three minute explanation:

I ran across this while engaged in software engineering, where my customer consisted of a very large group of untrained people, who had needs
but did not understand the needs of everyone in the group, and did not understand the 40,000 foot view of what was practical to acheive or even possible to do without creating unwanted side effects in things they knew nothing about. So there was this dynamic where the most outspoken people would influence the group in meetings, the less outspoken would simply nod in agreement without critical thought and without enough background to have a useful discussion, and then "agree" that this is what they needed. As the senior engineer and programmer, it was my task
to attempt to educate them and find suitable compromises. Not an easy task.

To the question, what is freedom and when is it total... I'm pretty sure that "total" is a relative term, because even in physics, absolutes are not
possible within the laws of nature. As for freedom, I'd imagine that you would be the ultimate judge of that. Kind of a personal question, to be honest. I don't think it's the same for everyone, under varying conditions. What do you think, or would you rather be told what to think?
That is the best explanation I have encounterd to explain, what it is to be in a Scientogy. It makes sense to me now. Tnx.

Veda

What does Scientology say about a total freedom? What is freedom and when it is total?
Link to All about Total Freedom.

In his book Magick in Theory and Practice, Aleister Crowley wrote: "The whole and sole object of all true Magickal training is to become free of every kind of limitation."

During late 1952, Hubbard gave a series of lectures where he referred to Aleister Crowley: "Our whole activity tends to make an individual completely independent of any limitation... Old Aleister Crowley had some interesting things to say about this..."