Tony Robbins is selling "clearing"?

freethinker

Controversial
Whatever happened to freedom of trade? Or the commerce clause in the US constitution (Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3)?

I thought you are the guy always defending the constitution and me being the one who always finds ways in which it could be improved? ;)
There is no freedom of trade in the Constitution. The commerce clause applies strictly to foreign commerce, stuff that comes from foreign countries.

Dan

Fun fact: A lesser known definition of 'commerce' is 'sexual intercourse'. (Demo kits out).

Paris Hilton says, "That's hot! I got started with a commerce video when I was 17".

Type4_PTS

Fun fact: A lesser known definition of 'commerce' is 'sexual intercourse'. (Demo kits out).

Paris Hilton says, "That's hot! I got started with a commerce video when I was 17".

I forgot about that definition!

I see it also means social intercourse.

commerce.jpg

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
I forgot about that definition!

I see it also means social intercourse.

View attachment 14131
Looks like we'll have to call Paris in for some word clearing then... her version sounds more interesting though.

Riddick

I clap to no man

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
Tony Robbins is just like Napoléon Hill and Dale Carnegie.

How to ADOPT the MINDSET of a RICH Person! | Napoleon Hill | Top 10 Rules - Bing video

Training Types | Dale Carnegie Training

LOL, just like dianetics ads but different.

dianetics ad - Bing
yeah, i think he's recycling some of the same pre-50s influences that Hubbard was.

and if anything what he does is more based in NLP, one of those things in such a clearly independent line of its own that there's no possible way to confuse it as a supposed 'offshoot' of Scientology (which i think is done too often, and too inaccurately, with other practices and organizations of the era).

but NLP is based on Ericksonian hypnosis, so it and Hubbard's 'work' share roots in earlier hypnosis in common. interestingly, i discovered through a bit of poking around that when Hubbard was in Phoenix in the early 50s he was like 10 blocks from Erickson, so there's a good chance that's yet another of the sources he plagiarized some bits from.

Dan

I'm pretty sure I read several years ago that Obama learned NLP from Tony Robbins. If not from him, it was from someone else. Remember in 08 all the reports of people feeling giddy and high during Obama campaign rallies? Hell, Chris Matthews even said he felt a tingling in his legs when at a rally while Obama was speaking. Some women fainted like the girls used to at Beatles concerts.

Oh he was goooooood. Real goooooood. At NLP that is. He used it effectively to trance people into believing that he was bringing Hope and Change. That he was a real populist and would transcend party divisions. Yeah.

He turned out to be yet another shill for Wall Street and Raytheon. I knew he was full of shit as soon as his cabinet nominees became known. Even Dick Cheney complemented his appointees.

My point? NLP is powerful.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
I'm pretty sure I read several years ago that Obama learned NLP from Tony Robbins
i can't readily find any evidence that is true.

one of the things NLP actually seeks to do, is to figure out what successful people do naturally, and then train others to replicate it. it may well be there are things Obama does when speaking and in person that Tony Robbins might train people to do, but that doesn't mean Robbins is the origin of what Obama does.

it's another aspect of the chicken-and-egg type of problem with claiming one thing is an offshoot of something else, or someone learned something (solely) from someone else. there may be no causal connection, or at least things come from a stew of influences that are hard to nail down or attribute to just one in particular.

the same or similar ideas often just arise spontaneously with different people in different places; we see that in technology with the telephone for instance, which several people came up with independently when the time was ripe, though our desire for attractive narratives ends up attributing it to just one. Bell only ended up with the patent because his attorney arrived at the US' office a few minutes before another inventor's, and an Italian might have beaten both of them if he'd had the financial backing to afford a patent filing.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
@Reyne Mayer what is a Pansexual Revolutionary and are you one or is that a gag? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Asking for a friend.)
i picked that as a bit over the top in part because over at Tony's i have perpetuated something of a gag about Maoist Lesbians, but i identify as bisexual at least (just never had a relationship with a trans person) and can be a bit militant. it seems to fit with the convention here of being a bit playful with those, unless i'm mistaken.

i certainly agitate for the idea that there is a spectrum of sexuality that we all fall somewhere on, and that the common straight/gay categorizations are inadequate and even misleading.

ILove2Lurk

AI Chatbot
^^^^ Yeah, I'm glad I asked and got that all cleared up. Some of us were born on the "past track"
and it was more of a 'binary' time period, if you catch my drift. :coolwink:
it seems to fit with the convention here of being a bit playful with those, unless I'm mistaken.
Not mistaken. What was that old saw from back in the day? "If it's not fun, it's not Scientology." :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

^^^^ Yeah, I'm glad I asked and got that all cleared up. Some of us were born on the "past track"
and it was more of a 'binary' time period, if you catch my drift. :coolwink:

Not mistaken. What was that old saw from back in the day? "If it's not fun, it's not Scientology." :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Isn't the original concept of "PAN-SEXUAL" Hubbard's---when he first discovered that thetans have no sex but can "self-identify" as anything they consider?

Ergo, a Scientologist can assume any body/beingness they want. They are effectively able to be OMNI-SEXUAL (all-sex), or in the case that they are in the Sea Org ZED-SEXUAL (zero/no-sex allowed without an approved & signed CSW).

ps: I am new on this thread so I wanted to do the Non-Existence formula by "finding in a com line" and "making myself known".

HELLO!
MY NAME IS HELLUVAHOAX! AND MY PRONOUNS
ARE "OF", "TO", "UNDER" and "WITH".

Please everyone, do NOT micro-aggress me by suggesting that the above are NOT pronouns. Back off--because my pronouns self-identify as prepositions!

Last edited:

guanoloco

As-Wased
I became aware of Tony Robbins in the 1980s when I knew someone who had read his book Personal Power. I paged through it. It was essentially neuro linguistic programming, which has a manipulative aspect, so it didn't hold my interest.

He, himself, as a person, never struck me as being evil. I am more repelled by his followers when they are in adoring-crowd mode at his seminars.

I have not seen the level of abuse or scandal normally associated with a destructive cult coming from Robbins and his operation.

But then again, I haven't been that interested. There are so many "self help" gurus. Toxic, semi toxic, benign.

Simply being a "guru" (or its equivalent), even a mostly benign one, inevitability opens a Pandora's box of potential mischief.

I noticed Robbins again when he posted a series of Covid lock down-related videos, which I thought were generally helpful to people.

What prompted me to post this was seeing an advertisement for his upcoming event, which is presented as the top level, where one removes old unwanted (unknowing) programming and replaces it with new superior (knowing) programming. It was so obviously recycled Scientology that it seemed appropriate to comment.

I can't find the video - which was a YouTube ad - but perhaps someone else can.

If anyone is concerned, please notice that I placed the post on this in the Cults in General section.
IDK about NLP but Tony Robbins's book, Unlimited Power, was all about mental image pictures and what you "did" with them was to turn them upside down and shrink them and adopt a pose, for instance, with a raised fist so whenever one of these cropped up instead of going effect of it you could rise above it by desensitizing it and doing your power pose to break the pictures grip. A process for mental image pics all day long.

In addition, Tony Robbins was on the official list of enemies in HCO as a squirrel group.

guanoloco

As-Wased
i picked that as a bit over the top in part because over at Tony's i have perpetuated something of a gag about Maoist Lesbians, but i identify as bisexual at least (just never had a relationship with a trans person) and can be a bit militant. it seems to fit with the convention here of being a bit playful with those, unless i'm mistaken.

i certainly agitate for the idea that there is a spectrum of sexuality that we all fall somewhere on, and that the common straight/gay categorizations are inadequate and even misleading.
I certainly agitate for the idea that the use of the word spectrum is inadequate and misleading as a spectrum suggests an even distribution when there's no such thing. I prefer bell curve.

Veda

IDK about NLP but Tony Robbins's book, Unlimited Power, was all about mental image pictures and what you "did" with them was to turn them upside down and shrink them and adopt a pose, for instance, with a raised fist so whenever one of these cropped up instead of going effect of it you could rise above it by desensitizing it and doing your power pose to break the pictures grip. A process for mental image pics all day long.

In addition, Tony Robbins was on the official list of enemies in HCO as a squirrel group.
I assume he's surrounded by aides who assist him with ideas for new presentations. After 40 (?) years of doing seminars he might need some new ideas. That's speculation. If the speculation is correct, he should be careful not to trigger a response from Scientology Inc.'s OSA (Stasi).

guanoloco

As-Wased
I assume he's surrounded by aides who assist him with ideas for new presentations. After 40 (?) years of doing seminars he might need some new ideas. That's speculation. If the speculation is correct, he should be careful not to trigger a response from Scientology Inc.'s OSA (Stasi).
Unlimited Power was published in 1986.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars

I've known a number of bi people (including a girlfriend back in my college days), so I agree that the conventional gay/straight dichotomy doesn't really work, in that you can have people who mostly go one way, but occasionally the other.

Type4_PTS

Not directly related to this thread, but about an online event, Tony Robbins is doing for free starting tomorrow. It's 90 mins/day for 5 days.
I got an email copied below about it. Out of curiosity, I'll check it out if I have time tomorrow.

Hi Larry,
Today, I’m delighted to announce a special FREE event from a man who needs no introduction, Tony Robbins.
But even though you may know who he is, let me quickly share 3 things you may NOT know about my own personal relationship with him...

1. Tony was actually the first person to ever put Tapping on my radar. I saw him do a quick demo of the Tapping process back in 2003 when I was an audience member at one of his events. To be able to call him a friend now and even have his Tapping Meditations in our App is just plain FUN. 🙂

2. When we were first working at the site of the Sandy Hook school shootings in Newtown, CT, where I live, Tony came to town and facilitated an incredible meeting of survivors from previous shootings with those affected. He came quietly, without press or fanfare, just to help. That’s when I really saw his devotion to changing people's lives.

3. He’s been an incredible champion of our work since then, so much so, that he’s now also a part-owner in The Tapping Solution App.

(Load All Images to View)

Tony's Free Online Event Starts Tomorrow!
I think we can all agree the past 2 years have been pretty difficult for many of us. But if there is one person who I trust to help turn all of that around, it's Tony!

He's holding a 5-day Ultimate Breakthrough Challenge that you can join for free to make 2022 your breakthrough year!

It all starts tomorrow. I know I'm super excited to check it out! I hope you'll come and join us!

Hatshepsut

The first two days of this seminar are really inspiring. The third is mostly testimony of those who changed everything and become successful in business. Am one day behind and won't be able to view the recorded seminars again after day 5. I think you have to pay 399.00 for the V.I.P. access to have it all year or indefinitely at your finger tips. It's call the 'have Tony in my Pocket' pkg. That's hilarious....'tony in my pocket' lol.:) The seminar is terrific though.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
The third is mostly testimony of those who changed everything and become successful in business.
"Success stories"? I think I'll pass.

For some reason it appears I have an engram related to groups of people publicly reciting their success stories in an organized manner.

I think you have to pay 399.00 for the V.I.P. access to have it all year or indefinitely at your finger tips.
I think I have another engram related to people selling their lectures and courses on the mysteries of life and general wisdom.

I wonder where I got these engrams from? :p

Speaking seriously, I don't think Tony Robbins is an abusive cult leader by any stretch of the imagination. But these sort of motivational life-coachy stuff feels a tad too culty for me at this point.

Last edited: