The Insidiousness of “Certainty” in Scientology

SuperstarNeilC

The insidiousness of “Certainty” in Scientology

Scientology touts that members can become more "certain" in life, and that this certainty is somehow a good thing. In reality, it is a fallacy created by L. Ron Hubbard and his concoction and people believing that the E-Meter + Auditor don't lie. This creates even more deep-seeded false beliefs that dogpile on each other. The result is that people are taught to believe they are more certain about life and more free than ever, when they're actually just "free" within the framework of what Hubbard wanted them to believe is true.

HelluvaHoax!

L. Ron Hubbard taught that "Knowledge = Certainty".

By that metric, a hallucinating and fully delusional individual would be the most knowledgeable/wise because they are the most certain.

In my experience, Scientology certainty is best explained by the Dunning Kruger Effect.

There are many illuminating and/or clever graphics if you Google Image Search it, this is just one of the first that popped up:

Dotey OT

Under New Management
L. Ron Hubbard taught that "Knowledge = Certainty".

By that metric, a hallucinating and fully delusional individual would be the most knowledgeable/wise because they are the most certain.

In my experience, Scientology certainty is best explained by the Dunning Kruger Effect.

There are many illuminating and/or clever graphics if you Google Image Search it, this is just one of the first that popped up:

Scientology will make you certain of things that aren't true. No reason to know anything else than what is told to you.

I told a still-in friend about the DK theory, and he didn't believe it because it was psyche based. Same with the subject of confirmation bias.

I thought it made for a beautiful irony.

Dotey OT

Under New Management
“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

Bertrand Russell

HelluvaHoax!

THE DUNNING-KRUGER GRADE CHART
Winning OT 8s who have attained the total certainty at position #1 are then
asked if they have any doubts or reservations -- and thereafter allowed to attest
as long as their Dunning-Kruger occlusion is sufficient to produce an F/N.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Number of times over equals brainwashing.
LOL!

THE EVOLUTION OF A SCIENCE

"Number of times over materials equals certainty." - L. Ron Hubbard

"Number of times over (materials) equals brainwashing."
- Xenu Xenu Xenu

"Number of times over materials equals retread revenue." - L. Don Hubbard*

* Don Hubbard (see photo above left and cv below)

Last edited:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
Lucas Catton from video:
"But all you are certain about is the construct that Hubbard created."
~
"The insidiousness of certainty in scientology that is based
on a complete lie. A complete lie. It's all made up."

Great quotes; great video. Really enjoyed it.

Those quotes could be the ex-scientology "OT8" or "top-of-the-bridge" final exit cognitions -- in other words, "truth revealed."

Those were certainly my exit cognitions years ago.

The most precarious state in life is being stupid (low IQ) or ill-informed, but totally certain. I met both very smart and very
stupid people while in, but certainty was a trademark characteristic of so many. Over-the-top certainty, that is.

Hubbard's recalibrated approach on Target II
book_standing2.jpg

From the dust jacket:

Walk through my Magical Mirror of the Mind (TM) to explore your subconscious desires, flights of fancy, and​
imagination. Take a trip through the ultimate dream world with me. Achieve a Total Cosmic Enlightenment (TM),​
while fulfilling all your most inner desires for a new future. Why worry about reality? You can create your​
own unbounded personal reality permanently with my innovative consciousness-altering techniques.​

HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax!

posted by ILove2Lurk

LOL LOL LOL - both hilarious & brilliant!

That glitzy white Vegas stage costume with the gargantuan shoulder pads reminded me of something or someone.

My e-meter keeps reading on the question "Is there an earlier similar incident?"

Wait. . . I think my file clerk has located an earlier similar wholetrack incident!

The meter is now reading on the person's first name
and it begins with the letter "L". Wow, just like LRH!

OMG, I just got a huge blowdown on checking
if it has something to do with an
earlier similar Commodore!

Amazing!
The tech is working!
My certainty is soaring!

PRO TIP
Keep running the process earlier until you get an F/N, because
there may be more than one earlier similar
Commodore!

Veda

When did Hubbard start using the word "certainty"?

Hubbard must have known that Scientology would not have made much of an impact, particularly during its formative stages, if it attracted only complete idiots.

The "certainty" he was selling would have to make some degree of sense, at least to some people who were not drooling imbeciles.

There was the word "certainty" in "Certainty processing," which had to do with self-confidence, postulates, and a cornucopia of other items.

In 1953, he used it in his re-write, and embellishment, of Aleister Crowley's Naples Arrangement, The Factors, "Humbly tendered as a gift to Man by L. Ron Hubbard, April 23, 1953": "Certainty in all three universes must be regained, for certainty, not data, is knowledge...." (The three universes were self, others, and the physical universe.)

Hubbard used the word "certainty," along side the word "clarity," implying certainty of observation and, perhaps, skill. It was also used along side of "reality" and "sanity."

Certainty processing appears in late 1952, and later in the book Scientology 8-8008, the title of which is a re-statement of Crowley's "Great Work," which is "the raising of the whole man to the power of infinity."

That, and the idea of a multiplicity of infinite minds, was a tremendous ego trip.

Jumping ahead to the mid 1960s Clearing Course booklet (used for the Clearing Course and OT 2) Hubbard instructed that, "Many persons experience unreality at the start of [implant] GPM running; this leaves when you see the meter reads."

So e-meter reactions were now expected to create "certainty" ("reality") in Scientologists.

Around the same time, there was "Mrs. Pattycake" with her "wandering doubt" transformed into a "fixed dedicated glare" after some training and reading Keeping Scientology Working.

So, as with other things in Scientology, "certainty" begins with one meaning, and ends up with a combined, or different meaning.

The remarkable part is that, by the time this occurs, the Scientologist is expected to perceive no conflict or contradiction in any of these meanings.

HelluvaHoax!

Perhaps the simplest explanation of why
people both JOIN and also REMAIN IN
toxic and astonishingly dumb cults.

Riddick

I clap to no man
The insidiousness of “Certainty” in Scientology

Scientology touts that members can become more "certain" in life, and that this certainty is somehow a good thing. In reality, it is a fallacy created by L. Ron Hubbard and his concoction and people believing that the E-Meter + Auditor don't lie. This creates even more deep-seeded false beliefs that dogpile on each other. The result is that people are taught to believe they are more certain about life and more free than ever, when they're actually just "free" within the framework of what Hubbard wanted them to believe is true.
great video, he explains, more or less, when somebody gets trapped by Hubbards web and leaves and say what the fuck was that all about:

BTW

The deeper you dive into what general concepts (like "certainty", "ethics" or "happiness") mean the less sense they make for you. - Not a good thing.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
The Science of Certainty? What book is that?
The article below fashioned into a book/booklet. Came after LRH lost the copyrights
to Dianetics and had to start from scratch with a "new angle."

~ Click to view larger ~
. . . .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everything was a valuable booklet back in the day, AFAIK.​

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Why People Join Cults, the Difference Between Sociopaths, Psychopaths + Tips On Healing from Abusive Relationships with Therapist Rachel Bernstein (linkedin.com)

Most cult leaders have a narcissistic bent: if what they are promising doesn’t work for you, then that is your problem—there is something wrong with you, not them. Cults are also characterized by a closed loop of information. Their leaders often say something like “don’t tell people about us because they will hold you back" or "they are jealous of the ‘secret’ knowledge you have.” If anyone in your life tries to warn you that what they are saying sounds odd, the cult will tell you to get rid of that “negative energy” in your life. Lastly, cults are defined by the idea of scarcity; they tend to say that what they are offering won’t be available forever. They don’t want you to take time to think about what they are saying—they want you to just join so you don’t “miss out”.

It's a great piece in general.

What is so funny to me is that Scientologists love Hubbard so much as if he is something completely different and unique. They feel the same way about Scientology the so-called religion and Scientology the organization itself with its org board, uniforms, promo, and buildings. The funny part is the fact that Scientology and Hubbard fit the above characteristics of a cult and its founder. They aren't any different and no amount of e-meters or OSA operations are going to change the fact that they are just another cult. That's what I think anyways. Sure, Scientology is rich but so are the Moonies. The Moonies even own a newspaper. Sure Scientology has the OSA with their PR image building campaigns but I bet most rich cults do the same thing. Most cults also try to harm critics as well. None of this is new or unique.

So yeah, I have no problem throwing them in the same box with the rest of the cults out there. There is no such thing as a nice harmless cult. You could say that they are all the same.

I will allow that Scientology just may be worse than most of them but I wouldn't brag about that if I was still a clam.