The Excalibur ship

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!

excerpt:

Under the Church of Scientology

The Excalibur in the San Diego harbor. Photo by Howard Dickman.

The Excalibur in the San Diego harbor. Photo by Howard Dickman.

The ’60s and ’70s marked the genesis of Scientology’s Sea Organization, a group created by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard to provide crew for his ships while evading law enforcement around the world.

According to “Bare-Faced Messiah,” an unofficial biography of Hubbard by Russell Miller, “In 1967, Hubbard raised a private navy, appointed himself Commodore, donned a dashing uniform of his own design and set forth on an extraordinary odyssey, leading a fleet of ships across the oceans variously pursued by the CIA, the FBI, the international press and a miscellany of suspicious government and maritime agencies.”

Hubbard served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, but was relieved of command.

The USS Rexburg was one of the ships purchased by the mysterious Sea Organization, called the Sea Org by those familiar with it. The Rexburg was rechristened the Excalibur, sent around the West Coast and initially used as a training vessel for new members of the Sea Organization. Hubbard had grown frustrated at the crew of his flagship, Apollo, who were mostly young people with no experience on board a ship.

After 1974, the Excalibur was partially crewed by the Rehabilitation Project Force, or the RPF, a group where Scientologists who misbehaved or underperformed were sent.

Howard Dickman aboard the Excalibur. Photo from Howard Dickman.

Howard Dickman aboard the Excalibur. Photo from Howard Dickman.

Barile

Ah..... memories. I did basic training on the Excalibur in 1972 while it was docked in San Pedro. I learned to polish brass, swab decks, balance on floating telephone poles chained to the dock so you could scrub the ship's waterline with a broom. We did cruise out to Catalina once... where I learned how to prepare and cook abalone... so it wasn't a complete loss.

There was also, about 75 yards away, The Bolivar... a rust bucket that never left the dock

Harold#1

Ah..... memories. I did basic training on the Excalibur in 1972 while it was docked in San Pedro. I learned to polish brass, swab decks, balance on floating telephone poles chained to the dock so you could scrub the ship's waterline with a broom. We did cruise out to Catalina once... where I learned how to prepare and cook abalone... so it wasn't a complete loss.

There was also, about 75 yards away, The Bolivar... a rust bucket that never left the dock
1620456793048.png

renamed the Bolivar by Scientology:
1620458810396.png

In the 1960's, the registered owner of the ex-USS PC-1230 was the Western Milling Company. In 1970 she was sold to the National Metals and Steel Company of Terminal Island, California. In April of 1971, the N M & S Company sold her to L. Ron Hubbard's Church of Scientology. She was renamed the Bolivar with the California license CF 3871-EM. They painted her white and had davits installed on the port side aft for a whale boat type tender. Thru 1976, she was sighted in the San Pedro/Long Beach sections of the Los Angeles Harbor.

In the early 1980's, she was observed moored to the Indies dock on Terminal Island. She was painted gray and had been renamed the Grinnell with the California license number CF 9892-LA. No further sightings have
been reported.

L. RON HUBBARD'S NAVAL SERVICE

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology was born in Nebraska in 1911 to a career Navy officer. He grew up with a gift of writing pulp science fiction. In 1942, as a Navy lieutenant, he was given the command of a converted fishing trawler, the YP-422. Armed with a 3 inch gun and two .30 cal. machine guns, she was refitted in Boston as an armed freighter. After a 27 hour shake down cruise in September of 1942, he was relieved of command. "unfit for independent command, lacking in the essential qualities of judgment, leadership and cooperation." Two other incidents marred his Naval career. A depth-charge battle with nonexistent Japanese subs off the Oregon coast and illegally firing at shore targets in Mexican territory.

He had a lifelong affinity for the nautical life and within Scientology he created his own paramilitary version of the Navy, wearing a white uniform with ribbons and gold braid, and appointed himself commodore over thousands of his devotees. He was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and was into drug addiction, "black magic" occult practices and other fraudulent activities. Hubbard died in 1986 leaving an estate worth $640 million dollars.

Last edited:

Barile

Sweet!! wow..... it got painted...... I remember it being a kind of chalky, rusty, faded blue with a bit of red trim. Speaking of the old Sea Org ships,
I knew a couple of people that were on the Apollo during the treasure hunt days... but nobody on this forum could possibly be that old to have been there ....
right?

Howard Dickman

I still have, at 67 years of age, nice memories of the Excal. Signed my first Se Org contract on that ship when it ported for the grand opening of the San Diego Org in February of 1973. Did my Product 0 that same year on the Excal and spent a year on it's RPF. It was sold off shortly after I graduated the RPF in February of 1975.

Harold#1

I still have, at 67 years of age, nice memories of the Excal. Signed my first Se Org contract on that ship when it ported for the grand opening of the San Diego Org in February of 1973. Did my Product 0 that same year on the Excal and spent a year on it's RPF. It was sold off shortly after I graduated the RPF in February of 1975.
Thank you for Yvonne Gillham Jentzsch's bio and your bio, Howard Dickman in Scientology.

Do you know if it was LRH who renamed the ships Excalibur and Bolivar, and why Bolivar?

Barile

Thank you for Yvonne Gillham Jentzsch's bio and your bio, Howard Dickman in Scientology.

Do you know if it was LRH who renamed the ships Excalibur and Bolivar, and why Bolivar?
Why Bolivar? iirc.... hcopl 12 feb 1967 Admin Know-How The Responsiblities of Leaders, with reference to The Mistakes of Simon Bolivar and Manuela Saenz
The book, The Four Seasons of Manuela by Victor W. Von Hagen, which was required reading..... outlines the life and times of Bolivar "the Libertor of South America" and his "lovable fool", Manuela Saenz ( 1797 - 1856 ).
Just a guess... someone was fantasizing. I know... I'm a walking encyclopedia.

Barile

I know... it's not entirely related... but it is in the category of old pictures. I have massive amounts of old photos... A few here, for historical context.

bonus.jpeg

Yes, as an auditor I was able to afford a burrito at El Azteca and a pack of smokes. On the upside, didn't have to worry about filing.

ray.jpeg

Circa 1975, Qual cramming.... Ray Mithoff, Kenny Lipton, Ken Wasserman and myself, displaying our work with the lastest botanical subject,
which underwent significant abuse.

About 1977.... clearly, the thrill was gone.me.jpeg

Last edited:

Barile

Here's one of Micky McMeel, Three Dog Night drummer, with his arm ( not not not that there's anything wrong with that... ) audrey.jpeg
around Bob Mithoff - Secret Agent/Spy.
Audrey Fischer... just passing by. Guessing I took this about 1977 or 78

Barile

pam.jpeg
And my x-wife, Pam on the roof of the Wilcox Hotel in Hollywood. If you look carefully at the Hollywood sign in the hills, it's the original,
before they put up a new one.

“The whole place seemed to have been stricken with a kind of creeping paralysis—out of beat with the rest of the world, crumbling apart in slow motion.” — Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard