The Dumpsters

SuperstarNeilC

When I was training at International Training Org, Hollywood Guarantee Building, a fellow student, Peter Redshaw (Manchester Org) was late for the 9am morning muster. It was his very first day there, he’d only arrived from England the night before. He raced to the course room door, but they slammed it in his face, to prevent entry. They would slam and lock the door exactly on muster time, on the *exact second*. They would focus on the wall clock and when the second hand swept to the 12 that door got slammed and locked.

Anyone trapped outside was assigned lower conditions and ordered to scrub out dumpsters. This happened to a few people every single day. Anyway, Peter, on his very first morning there, was ordered to scrub dumpsters for three hours, under the baking California sun. And he had to do it in his nice new slacks, shirt, tie and expensive shiny shoes. He had to actually clamber right inside the dumpster and hunker down to scrub off stinking, slimy, yellow-green gunge!

Last edited:

Paul Adams

(Dulloldfart on ESMB)
I had to scrub out the trash compactor in the VRU (Vehicle Repair Unit) while on the PAC RPF's RPF in May 1996, with the added frisson of hoping no-one was going to turn it on. :D

It probably wasn't as gruesome as it sounds, as I wasn't wearing inappropriate clothing and there was room to move around and after a while one gets inured to the yucky stuff.

Paul Adams

(Dulloldfart on ESMB)
Here's my favourite dumpster moment: at Saint Hill around 1976 I noticed a dumpster was on fire, with the lid open. I knew that (1) I should shut the lid to starve the fire of oxygen, and (2) it was going to be too hot to touch with bare hands. I looked around and saw a handy lump of wood nearby, which I bent and picked up.

Meanwhile, Ira Chaleff (cocky American, anathema to a Brit) approached from the other direction and obviously knew (1) but not (2). Tsk, tsk. So a few seconds later he rapidly learned a hot lesson and I shut the lid. :)

O

Oat Tea Ate

When I first got in, I saw people scrubbing shit with a toothbrush. Like huge hallways, pavers on the side walk and other massive areas. I told a staffer, who told me they were assigned lower conditions. I told him that it looked like cruel and inhumane punishment. I was right. It was!

AllHailXenu2

I had to scrub out the trash compactor in the VRU (Vehicle Repair Unit) while on the PAC RPF's RPF in May 1996, with the added frisson of hoping no-one was going to turn it on. :D

It probably wasn't as gruesome as it sounds, as I wasn't wearing inappropriate clothing and there was room to move around and after a while one gets inured to the yucky stuff.
I was in that RPF's RPF unit and I remember cleaning the dumpsters for days...I was a young teenager and it was HELL...I had some PTSD from that incident and others...You could literally eat off of the dumpsters when we were done. The most stupid exercise in the world.