The dark charisma of cult leaders

HelluvaHoax!

I had never heard of that guru who went by many other names including "Bubba Free John", LOL.

I Googled a peek of how the guy looked and saw a few dozen very cringey photos, each creepier than the previous.

Curious, I then scanned his entry at Wikipedia and was fascinated with the many connections he had to Scientology (as a former member!) and parallels to the life of another infamous charlatan-guru, L. Ron Hubbard.

sample excerpt: "In investigative reports and dozens of interviews, both named and anonymous ex-members made numerous specific allegations of Adi Da forcing members to engage in psychologically, sexually, and physically abusive and humiliating behavior, as well as accusing the church of committing tax fraud....."

He, like Hubbard, had a chart of seven or more ascending & advanced spiritual levels. And he likewise claimed to the the only being to have "made it" to the highest level. He also claimed, as did Hubbard, that before his death he had mapped out the entire technology of spiritual ascension and that his body of research and techniques were fully complete and workable and perfect.

And, yes! This thread is aptly named with the descriptive "dark charisma", the very same manically seductive energy that devotional cult members seek and soak up and celebrate!

self-mutilating Mansonologists, or
self-sacrificial Scientologists
is there really a difference?

Last edited:

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Sometimes I have noticed that auditors had a certain charisma partly based on their status as an auditor. In some orgs some of the auditors came off a little like rock stars. It was as if the cult had a subset of mini cult leaders within the cult itself. It was an unspoken thing. Admiration and respect within the group can really give you a swelled head.

SuperstarNeilC

Sometimes I have noticed that auditors had a certain charisma partly based on their status as an auditor. In some orgs some of the auditors came off a little like rock stars. It was as if the cult had a subset of mini cult leaders within the cult itself. It was an unspoken thing. Admiration and respect within the group can really give you a swelled head.
Class XII Auditors, especially and certainly, had a charismatic electricity emanating from them. - They were viewed as GODS. - Much more than the Int Execs.

Just whispering the words, “Class Twelve”, would bring about some sort of hypnotic-type effect on the preclear. - His eyes would glaze over and his reactive mind would swirl with images of e-meters, cruise ships, gold-framed completion certificates and bronze busts of L. Ron Hubbard.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
a lot of these gurus and cult leaders seem to have had a personal charisma, that's not at all obvious when looking at them in photographs. Hubbard's mistress from the era when Dianetics was just out said:

He was a character, it was like watching a fascinating character on stage playing a role. I was never bored when I was with him. He was a colourful personality and acted out all the unusual things that were in his mind, that's what made him so fascinating. People who are manic have this enormous energy - it fueled talking and thoughts. He was charismatic, communicated an energy.
I was very infatuated with him and I said to my room mate - we had an apartment in Beverly Hills - "If I ever tell you I am marrying this guy, I want you to tie me up and not let me out the door, because he's a lunatic." But I didn't trust myself, because I was so enchanted by him I felt I would go ahead and do it. He was very magical, delightful fascinating man. He talked all the time and was interesting, a great raconteur, very bright, amusing and dynamic.
she was college educated, later became a well known professional psychologist, and also says:

He was psychotic...The first time I made a clinical diagnosis of Ron was when I was with him in there. He had a house on Mel Avenue. He asked me to come there and he was in a deep depression. There was no doubt in my mind he was a manic depressive with paranoid tendencies. Many manics are delightful, apparently productive, they do all kinds of marvelous things and have tremendous self confidence and talk and talk and talk, really hyper. He was like that in his manic stage - he was enormously productive and creative, he had big feelings of omnipotence, he talked all the time of grandiose schemes. It was extremely interesting in his case because he made his fantasies come true.

SuperstarNeilC

Roman Reigns’ real-life cousin is former professional wrestler “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson. - The Rock is now one of the most famous movie stars on the planet. - It’s a certainty he’ll be running for President.

Nearly half of Americans want Dwayne Johnson to run for President

Roman Reigns’ is now following his cousin to Hollywood superstardom.

It’s a dead cert Reigns will also be running for President.