The Church of Scientology says it "has no position on sexual orientation." We have questions.

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
The Church of Scientology says it "has no position on sexual orientation." We have questions.

Thread on the original ESMB:

The Church of Scientology has said "the Church has no position on sexual orientation," and "[t]he Church is on record as being opposed to discrimination of any sort, including on the basis of sexuality." See also here, here, and here.

[NOTE: As a result of the Independent Reformed Church of Scientology at least partly addressing the issue of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, I decided to revisit my questionnaire. In version 2.0 below I revised question number 10 to (perhaps awkwardly) include a double negative. I did this so that the Church of Scientology International (or an Independent Scientology organization, omitting the Sea Org questions) will pass as not discriminating against LGBTQ people if and only if all of the questions are answered "yes." I believe that overall the questionnaire is less confusing that way, and less likely cause question number 10 to be answered inaccurately.]

Please let me know what you think.

Journalists may want to ask the Church of Scientology the following specific questions, among others:

1) Does the Church of Scientology perform gay weddings? Is the Church of Scientology willing to perform gay weddings?

2) Does the Church of Scientology support adoption by gay couples?

3) If the Church of Scientology supports adoption by heterosexual individuals, does the Church of Scientology also support adoption by gay individuals?

4) Can a gay person become and remain a member of the Church of Scientology in good standing without being required to be celibate, without being required to eventually become heterosexual, and while continuing to have gay sex subject only to the same ethical requirements applied to heterosexuals?

5) Can a gay person become and remain Clear in good standing without being required to be celibate, without being required to eventually become heterosexual, and while continuing to have gay sex subject only to the same ethical requirements applied to heterosexuals?

6) Can a gay person become and remain OT 8 in good standing without being required to be celibate, without being required to eventually become heterosexual, and while continuing to have gay sex subject only to the same ethical requirements applied to heterosexuals?

7) Can a gay person become and remain a non-Sea Org staff member in good standing without being required to be celibate, without being required to eventually become heterosexual, and while continuing to have gay sex subject only to the same ethical requirements applied to heterosexuals?

8) Can a gay person become and remain a Sea Org member in good standing without being required to be celibate, without being required to eventually become heterosexual, and while continuing to have gay sex subject only to the same ethical requirements applied to heterosexuals?

9) Can a gay person become and remain a member of the clergy of the Church of Scientology in good standing without being required to be celibate, without being required to eventually become heterosexual, and while continuing to have gay sex subject only to the same ethical requirements applied to heterosexuals?

10) Is it TRUE that the Church of Scientology does NOT perform, endorse, advocate or accept the validity of any form of gay conversion therapy, or any form of therapy or spiritual practice or technology intended, designed or that has the purpose of changing a gay person's sexual orientation from gay to heterosexual?

Ver. 2.0

/

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Given our knowledge of Scientology’s deception in the way it presents itself to the world, formulating questions in that fashion for the journalists to ask would be tremendously helpful for them.

cakemaker

Blatant lies.
Anything LRH wrote re Scientology is considered "scripture". There are a miriad of LRH quotes about homosexuality being an aberration.
There used to be a sec check for homosexuals and often people are C/S'd to handle it with auditing.
In the current organization you cannot be posted to an executive position if you are gay as it is considered an "outpoint".

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Blatant lies.
Anything LRH wrote re Scientology is considered "scripture". There are a miriad of LRH quotes about homosexuality being an aberration.
There used to be a sec check for homosexuals and often people are C/S'd to handle it with auditing.
In the current organization you cannot be posted to an executive position if you are gay as it is considered an "outpoint".
Whenever this issue came up on Twitter in the past I usually replied with two sources.

First, for text, Mike Rinder's essay "Scientology Homophobia, which addresses Scientology scripture:

Scientology Homophobia '

Second, Nora Crest's video, "Why You Can't Be Gay In Scientology," which also addresses Scientology scripture.

I may now add the 2017 academic apaper (which I only recently discovered), "The Dangerous Discourse of Dianetics: Linguistic Manifestations of Violence Toward Queerness in the Canonical Religious Philosophy of Scientology."

https://soundideas.pugetsound.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1029&context=relics

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

The simple answer is, anyone can be do or have anything if they are rich enough or influential enough. Though I doubt if anyone would be allowed to get away with any kind of sexual activity if they are sea org members unless they are a legally married straight couple. The cult became increasingly anti sex since his shrimpness took over, seems even masturbation is treated as extreme perversion. Scientology is not gay friendly and NOI is certainly never going to change on that point. It is also worth noting that this has nothing to do with canon and religious dictates, scientologY is not and never was a religion. In the past sex was just one of the dynamics now, since his amoebaness changed punctuation and deleted a few words, it seems that the 2D has nothing to do with sex and lots to do with creation, presumably he would sit around with his wife making sock puppets and then share a cigarette.