St Hill Canteen

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
I do ... a lovely lady named Rhonda worked there when I was there and Herbie Parkhouse's wife too.

It sold David Gaimans vitamins and protein powder ... revolting coffee and expensive biscuits and chocolate etc that nobody in the SO could afford to buy very often unless they had a private income source.

From memory Herbie and David owned it but they certainly didn't believe in assisting those working their arses off for virtually no return by making the prices sensible and there wasn't another café or shop around for miles.

:whistle:

La La Lou Lou

Maria doesn't really look very happy in that picture.

Isn't that CF behind her? Those sheds must have been cleared away by now, replaced by something fake I should imagine. The canteen was off the road, similar building but up a slight hill, I thin it had a fence round it. They sold Guk bombs and golden Virginia hand rolling tobacco for the staff, when they could afford it.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
The Gaiman/Parkhouse running of the SH canteen became a part of David Gaiman's Declare in 1983:

SP Declare David Gaiman | Why We Protest | Anonymous Activism Forum

Really?

Good.

:cool:

Edit: I just went and read that "SP declare" ... wow, I had forgotten how vicious scientologists can be when they have decided to stick someone's head on a spike. Scientology is without doubt the nastiest, most spite filled and vindictive organisation I have ever heard of (I can't call it a religion without laughing). When they turn on someone they really go for the throat, it's a horrible thing to read and cannot imagine what reading that did to his children at the time, or to David himself.

Last edited:

UK-86

The Gaiman/Parkhouse running of the SH canteen became a part of David Gaiman's Declare in 1983:

SP Declare David Gaiman | Why We Protest | Anonymous Activism Forum
Wow!
That's quite an SP declare!
I have never seen that. I heard he got into trouble and was declared but he was on lines and G&G Vitamins was well established by the time I came along.
Wonder what he managed to do to get back in good favour?

Jane Kember was also around and getting training apparently but I did not know who she was.
Neil Gaiman, his son is now living in New Zealand.

marra

Wow!
That's quite an SP declare!
I have never seen that. I heard he got into trouble and was declared but he was on lines and G&G Vitamins was well established by the time I came along.
Wonder what he managed to do to get back in good favour?

Jane Kember was also around and getting training apparently but I did not know who she was.
Neil Gaiman, his son is now living in New Zealand.
I only met David Gaiman after he'd done his A-E steps. I remember him telling me he'd had a meeting with the Secretary General of the United Nations (or somebody like that) and told him about scientology. That was probably part of his A-E.

Neil was Declared shortly after David, I think, and it seemed to be because he refused to disconnect from his father. I think part of his A-E was to write a glowing review of Hubbard's Mission Earth series for a London magazine called Time Out. Privately he thought the books were badly written. Once he'd got back in good standing and was now able to see his family he quietly left scientology.

Free to shine

Smelling the roses
I do ... a lovely lady named Rhonda worked there when I was there and Herbie Parkhouse's wife too.

It sold David Gaimans vitamins and protein powder ... revolting coffee and expensive biscuits and chocolate etc that nobody in the SO could afford to buy very often unless they had a private income source.

From memory Herbie and David owned it but they certainly didn't believe in assisting those working their arses off for virtually no return by making the prices sensible and there wasn't another café or shop around for miles.

Yep exactly. I spent a lot of time there during the late 60's early 70's. If you could afford a coffee you were doing well and if you were hungry (often) it was a difficult place to be around as well, watching other people eat, and we only did it to talk to others (or on the hill opposite the old Castle.)

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Yep exactly. I spent a lot of time there during the late 60's early 70's. If you could afford a coffee you were doing well and if you were hungry (often) it was a difficult place to be around as well, watching other people eat, and we only did it to talk to others (or on the hill opposite the old Castle.)
Oh yes, I remember the hill well and I know logically that it was all set in a very beautiful environment ... but even thinking about those SO years threatens to send a cold shiver up my spine and unlike you (a second gen scientologist at the time) I trapped myself in it, I know you were given no choice.

Lovely to see you back here Free ...

:)

Vumba

It was Rhoda Zeffert and Jenny Parkhouse. I have fond memories of the canteen. I used to be given the tictacs when they went out of date. 🤪