So, is this post by Scientologist Dr. Jorge Castro homophobic?

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Expanding on my earlier post, the concept of "homophobia" posits that any negative opinion of homosexuality, or the homosexual lifestyle, is unacceptable in society, and a sign of mental illness .

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Expanding on my earlier post, the concept of "homophobia" posits that any negative opinion of homosexuality, or the homosexual lifestyle, is unacceptable in society, and a sign of mental illness .
I certainly don't think that the concept of homophobia posits a "sign of mental illness." I know many liberal and LGBTQ people, and none of them believe that homophobia is a "sign of mental illness." I may have missed it, but I personally have not seen that asserted or argued anywhere.

Last edited:

Enthetan

I certainly don't think that the concept of homophobia posits a "sign of mental illness." I know many liberal and LGBTQ people, and none of them believe that homophobia is a "sign of mental illness." I may have missed it, but I personally have not seen that asserted or argued anywhere.
Phobia is a medical/psychiatric term, with a specific definition.

phobia
[fo´be-ah]
a persistent, irrational, intense fear of a specific object, activity, or situation (the phobic stimulus), fear that is recognized as being excessive or unreasonable by the individual himself. When a phobia is a significant source of distress or interferes with social functioning, it is considered a mental disorder (sometimes called a phobic disorder). Some typical phobias are: acrophobia (fear of heights), astraphobia (fear of lightning), cenotophobia (fear of new things or new ideas), claustrophobia (fear of closed places), hemophobia (fear of blood), and xenophobia (dread of strangers). Phobias are subclassified as agoraphobia, social phobias, and specific phobias. See also anxiety disorders. adj., adj pho´bic.
The use of "phobia" is, in my opinion, an attempt to label the person as "not normal/not rational", and thus to delegitimize his opinions.

As an example, what would you think of using the term "Trumpphobic" to describe people who don't like Trump? Or Sciento-phobia to describe our little community?

Last edited:

He-man

Hero extraordinary
So, is this post by Scientologist Dr. Jorge Castro homophobic?

Jorge Castro

View attachment 7993

I would say that his comment is homophobic, if he is, is really of no consequence.

The way he speaks makes me shiver, did we all use to speak like that? So hard to even remember that I did, or that I could understand the logic behind it.

Enthetan

The way he speaks makes me shiver, did we all use to speak like that? So hard to even remember that I did, or that I could understand the logic behind it.
His statement was computer translated from Spanish, which may contribute to the oddness.

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Phobia is a medical/psychiatric term, with a specific definition.

The use of "phobia" is, in my opinion, an attempt to label the person as "not normal/not rational", and thus to delegitimize his opinions.

As an example, what would you think of using the term "Trumpphobic" to describe people who don't like Trump? Or Sciento-phobia to describe our little community?
I understand your opinion. I don't think that your opinion is unreasonable. (Reasonable minds can differ.) I do, however, believe it is incorrect in this particular case.

Language evolves. "Phobic" historically meant "fear." It appears that "phobic" has evolved to: (1) include, depending on the context, anything ranging from dislike, disdain, hatred or any tendency to make a negative judgment about something; and (2) NOT necessarily imply any form of mental illness. Again, that is how the liberal and LGBTQ people I know use the term homphobic, and that is how I see it used in discussions. I don't know anyone who thinks that homophobic people sctuaaly fear LGBTQ people or that homophobic people are mentally ill.

If someone used the term Trumpphobic" to describe people who don't like Trump, or Sciento-phobic to describe me, in neither case would I think that the person was implying some form of mental illness. I would think they were describing someone who dislikes, disdains, hatres or has a tendency to make negative judgments about Trump or Scientology.

I can see where the terms homophobia and honophic can have a negative connotations because of the root word (phobia), and be seen as deligitmizing when used by people who support LGBTQ persons and LGBTQ rights. I personally don't think any drligitmizing effect is implicit in the definition. I believe that in current usage "homophobic" simply refers to someone who dislikes, disdains, hates, OR makes negative judgmental about LGBTQ people or LGBTQ behavior.

In any event, I personally did not mean to ask whether, or imply that, Scientologist Dr. Jorge Castro is irrational or mentally ill. I intended to ask whether his post evidenced dislike, disdain, hatred, or a negative judgment about LGBTQ people or LGBTQ behavior.. His post is cryptic enough, at least to me, that I honestly am not site.