Scientology suicide: How Quentin Hubbard’s death was covered in the press

Karen#1

TONY ORTEGA
Excerpt:

After we posted the most recent version of our “Not Forgotten” memorial, which included Quentin Hubbard, the troubled son of Scientology’s founder, we received this touching tribute from Val Ross.

In the insular world of Scientology, we knew LRH had a son named Quentin. Some people had met and liked him, some thought him a bit “off”. We had all been taken to Anaheim and watched when all of Hubbard’s children spoke at Human Rights Day in August, 1976. Quentin was very much alive and verbal, and coherent at that event.

Scientologists Hold Human Rights Day

(Los Angeles Herald Examiner, August 21, 1976)

More than 10,000 Scientologists from around the world are expected to attend the first International Conference for World Peace and Social Reform at the Anaheim Convention Center Aug. 25-29.

The conference concluded Sunday, Aug 29 with a Human Rights Prayer day with “A Prayer for Human Rights,” delivered by the Rev. Gordon Cook and a sermon by the Rev. Jane Kember, guardian of the Churches of Scientology worldwide.

READ MORE

Karen#1

The omitted information the Las Vegas coroner was never given was that Quentin had attempted suicide 2x previously.
He was miserably unhappy in the Sea Org.
He wanted FREEDOM. He was TRAPPED.
The earlier suicide attempt was a large bunch of sleeping pills (Apollo days)
Hubbard sent Quentin to the RPF for this suicide attempt.
Quentin enhanced and cheered up the whole RPF with his presence.
He was a soft gentle soul. RIP Quentin, FLY HIGH.
Quentin.Arthur.png

Attachments

I M Dex

I personally consider people who aren't loving to their children to be about the worst example of human beings. They tend to have suffered the same from their parents, and are sometimes ruthless in their drive to dominate and/or excel in a given field, seeking excessive levels of respect or submission, i.e., power to try to compensate for the absence of love. They'll defensively be dismissive of actual love as having any relevance. For someone who claimed to have discovered, understood and mastered the important aspects of existence, Hubbard's paradigm and presence was shockingly devoid of the subject of love. Instead it was centered on self-serving galactic fantasies and delusions of power. Hubbard's "ARC" dogma was a mechanical approach to human relations, and improving or fixing relationships was about "disclosing overts"; even in Hubbard's writings about relationships, discussion love, the actual basis, is omitted.
The essential and primal fear is of not being loved and accepted. Hubbard couldn't confront his own fear, and went to great lengths to deny and override it. He himself felt unloved and unlovable, and so he went to great lengths to create a compensatory domain. He's a cautionary tale, and Quentin was collateral damage in Hubbard's war against his own feelings.

XenuHimself

Perhaps there are others that know more about Hubbard's parents' treatment of him. But we do know that his father made the trip to visit him on the ship in 1975 - a trip that could not have been easy for the 88 year old man. Another quick read thru 'Bare-Faced Messiah' chapter 1 and it seems the young LRH was well-cared for and surrounded by doting relatives. There isn't much to go on, but what we have doesn't lead me to believe we can blame LRH's horrible parenting on his parents.

I personally consider people who aren't loving to their children to be about the worst example of human beings. They tend to have suffered the same from their parents, and are sometimes ruthless in their drive to dominate and/or excel in a given field, seeking excessive levels of respect or submission, i.e., power to try to compensate for the absence of love. They'll defensively be dismissive of actual love as having any relevance. For someone who claimed to have discovered, understood and mastered the important aspects of existence, Hubbard's paradigm and presence was shockingly devoid of the subject of love. Instead it was centered on self-serving galactic fantasies and delusions of power. Hubbard's "ARC" dogma was a mechanical approach to human relations, and improving or fixing relationships was about "disclosing overts"; even in Hubbard's writings about relationships, discussion love, the actual basis, is omitted.
The essential and primal fear is of not being loved and accepted. Hubbard couldn't confront his own fear, and went to great lengths to deny and override it. He himself felt unloved and unlovable, and so he went to great lengths to create a compensatory domain. He's a cautionary tale, and Quentin was collateral damage in Hubbard's war against his own feelings.

KKS

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.”
Respect for Quinten who had to suffer an abusive father.

Last edited:

I M Dex

Perhaps there are others that know more about Hubbard's parents' treatment of him. But we do know that his father made the trip to visit him on the ship in 1975 - a trip that could not have been easy for the 88 year old man. Another quick read thru 'Bare-Faced Messiah' chapter 1 and it seems the young LRH was well-cared for and surrounded by doting relatives. There isn't much to go on, but what we have doesn't lead me to believe we can blame LRH's horrible parenting on his parents.
There's no excusing Hubbard's maliciousness, but I have read accounts of his parents' being cold and distant, I think there was some mention of it in "Ron the War Hero", sorry my memory is so vague, maybe somebody else can fill in the gaps, and hopefully I'll recall a bit more.

XenuHimself

The very little bit on Ron's mother in 'Bare-Faced Messiah' includes the facts that she took him to the theater, tutored him, wrote to him and encouraged him to write back. A letter from her to him at school included the line 'Your success is our biggest goal in life'.
True it isn't much to go on. But the little we have makes them seem like normal solid folks who cared for their only child.

It also says 'Ron remembered his mother sometimes with affection, sometimes with deep dislike' - though it does not elaborate that I can find. The 'Affirmations' includes the line "That I am fortunate in losing Polly and my parents, for they never meant well by me."

There's no excusing Hubbard's maliciousness, but I have read accounts of his parents' being cold and distant, I think there was some mention of it in "Ron the War Hero", sorry my memory is so vague, maybe somebody else can fill in the gaps, and hopefully I'll recall a bit more.

I M Dex

The very little bit on Ron's mother in 'Bare-Faced Messiah' includes the facts that she took him to the theater, tutored him, wrote to him and encouraged him to write back. A letter from her to him at school included the line 'Your success is our biggest goal in life'.
True it isn't much to go on. But the little we have makes them seem like normal solid folks who cared for their only child.

It also says 'Ron remembered his mother sometimes with affection, sometimes with deep dislike' - though it does not elaborate that I can find. The 'Affirmations' includes the line "That I am fortunate in losing Polly and my parents, for they never meant well by me."
Wow, that last line sounds like he already had his "PTS" blame-and-disconnect-from-others dogma in place by then.

KKS

The Truth About Quentin Hubbard

Empowering Dialogues: Unveiling Truths and Transformation feat. Karen De La Carriere, LARA FM, and Vanessa La Rose

KKS

Quentin Hubbard 1954 -1976. Death of L Ron Hubbard's son. My story

KKS

VHS Scientology Press Conference about L Ron Hubbard's Death - Jan 29, 1986

KKS

Michael Pattinson tells why Quentin Hubbard killed himself because his father L. R. H. tortured him!

KKS

2/5 Quentin Hubbard, 1980th - Motivation Scale Inversion - Alan Walter

I M Dex

2/5 Quentin Hubbard, 1980th - Motivation Scale Inversion - Alan Walter

I miss my good friend Phil Spickler. Tatiana, the woman conducting and producing the video was doing the same for me back then. Phil describes very well how Hubbard would throw anyone who shined too much in Scientology under the bus. Hubbard was certainly a paranoid megalomaniac. Phil also describes how Hubbard would revise "the tech" purely to make more $.