Scientology prison in Kansas is denied

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!

excerpt:

"Maggie Kittinger of the Church of Scientology of Kansas City said at the meeting that the building would be used only for housing, with no classrooms. It would be only for staff, she said."

"She said about 50 staff members would live there, mainly single persons. Only two have vehicles, and so there would not be a parking problem, according to Kittinger. The staff would travel in vans to the Church of Scientology building at 1805 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Missouri. Their work would be out in the community, according to the planning staff report. They would leave the Central Avenue building in the morning and return at night, she said. They would be quiet, and would not make a lot of noise, she stated in the planning staff report."

"At this time it was not certain if they would add another 125 staff members who would live there, she added. The planning staff report stated that the building would not be open to the public at this time."

"Hand said it would take a significant amount of work to bring the building up to code and renovate it for housing, which would be reviewed by UG staff. The applicant proposed to build 40 bedrooms, with four persons in each room, or six in some rooms, according to the planning staff report."

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news

excerpt:

"Maggie Kittinger of the Church of Scientology of Kansas City said at the meeting that the building would be used only for housing, with no classrooms. It would be only for staff, she said."

"She said about 50 staff members would live there, mainly single persons. Only two have vehicles, and so there would not be a parking problem, according to Kittinger. The staff would travel in vans to the Church of Scientology building at 1805 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Missouri. Their work would be out in the community, according to the planning staff report. They would leave the Central Avenue building in the morning and return at night, she said. They would be quiet, and would not make a lot of noise, she stated in the planning staff report."

"At this time it was not certain if they would add another 125 staff members who would live there, she added. The planning staff report stated that the building would not be open to the public at this time."

"Hand said it would take a significant amount of work to bring the building up to code and renovate it for housing, which would be reviewed by UG staff. The applicant proposed to build 40 bedrooms, with four persons in each room, or six in some rooms, according to the planning staff report."
The fact that the Church of Scientology even requested to have a dormitory for staff is very significant. Kansas City Org is not a Sea Org Org - or at least shouldn't be. Providing a dormitory for Class 5 contracted staff is a major change in policy. It indicates that they are having even more trouble attracting and retaining such staff.

I' previously heard of informal housing arrangements being made for Class 5 contracted staff when such an Org was manning up, but nothing so formal, official, and most importantly, public. Nothing like this dormitory. This is new.

Last edited:

cakemaker

The fact that the Church of Scientology even requested to have a dormitory for staff is very significant. Kansas City Org is not a Sea Org Org - or at least shouldn't be. Providing a dormitory for Class 5 contracted staff is a major change in policy. It indicates that they are having even more trouble attracting and retaining such staff.

I' previously heard of informal housing arrangements being made for Class 5 contracted staff when such an Org was manning up, but nothing so formal, official, and most importantly, public. Nothing like this dormitory. This is new.

That was my first thought.
Why is berthing being provided for a non-Sea Org org?
Maybe it's to increase the real estate holdings more than it is to house staff.
Management has never cared about staff welfare.

Harold#1

My thought is they are having to import more "slave" labor on "religious visas" from other countries. Ideal Orgs even with few customers still require more maintenance than the previous buildings.

Maggie Kittinger of the Church of Scientology of Kansas City said, "Only two have vehicles" and she probably could have added "and it's unlikely any more of them will be able to afford to buy and operate one".

Last edited:

ISNOINews

That was my first thought.
Why is berthing being provided for a non-Sea Org org?
Maybe it's to increase the real estate holdings more than it is to house staff.
Management has never cared about staff welfare.
Management has never cared about staff welfare, but management does care about actuay having staff. I think they had major problems getting staff for Kansas City. It is not like they have enough Scientologists native to Kansas City to staff an Org. Providing housing may be a solution.

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
Management has never cared about staff welfare, but management does care about actuay having staff. I think they had major problems getting staff for Kansas City. It is not like they have enough Scientologists native to Kansas City to staff an Org. Providing housing may be a solution.
They have always had major problems getting staff for every org since at least the 70's and probably since 1950.

I imagine they will make the staff members pay rent to live there. If they cram them in 4+ to a room it might make a profitable endeavor.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
My thought is they are having to import more "slave" labor on "religious visas" from other countries. Ideal Orgs even with few customers still require more maintenance than the previous buildings.
That's a fair point, but previously it never stopped them from having such people live in shitty motels and whatnot.

If I had to make a guess I'd say the reason is a desire for more control. If you get class V org staff to berth like Sea Org, you can then continue to make them more disciplined, isolated from the real world and more "regimented" like the Sea Org.

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
At the staging for the opening of the ideal org in my area here is what happened.

There were at least two S.O. personnel running this housing thing. S.O. recruiters would tell the people that they were recruiting there would be shared housing available to them within walking distance from the ideal org. I believe that they said the housing would be provided on a temporary basis. They were procuring rooms in an apartment complex about 1/2 mile away. Newly signed staff could move in and share rooms with other staff members. There must have been at least five apartments, and I heard stories of eight people to a two bedroom apartment. They were getting recruits from all over the U.S. and overseas, especially from Kazakhstan.

I am uncertain how this was being funded. I hadn't been regged for anything but I myself was on staff.

There were logistics such as getting the people moved into the area, getting storage units to put their stuff. This was going on after the opening and at least one year later. I would drive by and see uniformed people walking back and forth both ways between org and apartments.

During this, I was aware of people that were currently on staff at other orgs elsewhere that were coming to be on staff at our org. Some things that I heard were that their old orgs would be paid to erase freeloader debt from the old org.

ISNOINews

I imagine they will make the staff members pay rent to live there. If they cram them in 4+ to a room it might make a profitable endeavor.
I don't think this is a profit making endeavor by the COS. That would defeat the purpose of enticing people to join and remain on staff.

It is hard enough to convince people to join staff in a city like Los Angeles with a large population of Scientologists, I can't imagine how hard it is in Kansas City.

The COS may charge rent, but it won't be at the market rate, much less above. Otherwise, what is the point? They can't get people to join and remain on staff, so they are going to entice them by gouging them on rent?

Even just charging the market rate wouldn't accomplish anything. You weren't going to join staff. They offer you housing at the market rate. So what? How is that an inducement to join staff?

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think this is a profit making endeavor by the COS. That would defeat the purpose of enticing people to join and remain on staff.

It is hard enough to convince people to join staff in a city like Los Angeles with a large population of Scientologists, I can't imagine how hard it is in Kansas City.

The COS may charge rent, but it won't be at the market rate, much less above. Otherwise, what is the point? They can't get people to join and remain on staff, so they are going to entice them by gouging them on rent?

Even just charging the market rate wouldn't accomplish anything. You weren't going to join staff. They offer you housing at the market rate. So what? How is that an inducement to join staff?
If you cram 4+ people to a bedroom and charge each $250/month, for the individual that's far cheaper than renting a studio apt.

The Oracle

Not the same Oracle from a decade ago

excerpt:

That is hilarious. Kansas City is empty.
What is happening is The Church of Scientology is gas lighting the poor broke bloats for more money. The cult is simply buying up real estate again. Slappy Miscavige loves his real estate.

Harold#1

Scientology gave up quick on this:

excerpt:

"On Wednesday evening, a spokesperson for Kittinger’s church told FOX4 that Kansas City’s Church of Scientology would no longer pursue the building in question due to logistical concerns with the building. However, the spokesperson would not elaborate."

ISNOINews

Fox 4 Kansas City: KCK residents push back against Church of Scientology moving into office building

KCK residents push back against Church of Scientology moving into office building

Screenshot_20200917-102455_1600363546375.png

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — People in one Wyandotte County neighborhood want new tenants at an office building on their streets, but they say the Church of Scientology isn’t welcome after the group sought community approval to move in.

Neighbors near Central Avenue and Grandview Boulevard complained to the Unified Government of Wyandotte County’s Planning Commission on Monday. The commission, in turn, voted down the church’s request for special permit to use the building as a dormitory by a 5-3 margin.

Maggie Kittinger, Church of Scientology executive director in Kansas City, told the commission the dormitory would house 50 people, all of whom were employees of her church. Kittinger’s church already owns a building in downtown Kansas City, Missouri.

[SNIP]

On Wednesday evening, a spokesperson for Kittinger’s church told FOX4 that Kansas City’s Church of Scientology would no longer pursue the building in question due to logistical concerns with the building. However, the spokesperson would not elaborate.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

onceuponatime

So of course I've never been in Scientology and just hear things but a little bird told me that the majority of staff for KC and Columbus are sea org members. There were issues recruiting enough staff so the decision was to man them with sea org members who would eventually recruit and replace themselves. No idea how the whole replace thing is going, not too well I'd imagine. But this is likely sea org berthing for the sea org contingent at KC. Based on the numbers they gave I guess there's still 50 S.O. members at KC.

Just saw there were some questions and thought I could chime in with info. I don't think this is staff housing at all.

ISNOINews

So of course I've never been in Scientology and just hear things but a little bird told me that the majority of staff for KC and Columbus are sea org members. There were issues recruiting enough staff so the decision was to man them with sea org members who would eventually recruit and replace themselves. No idea how the whole replace thing is going, not too well I'd imagine. But this is likely sea org berthing for the sea org contingent at KC. Based on the numbers they gave I guess there's still 50 S.O. members at KC.

Just saw there were some questions and thought I could chime in with info. I don't think this is staff housing at all.
Thank you for the tip.

However, buying and converting an office building for a dormitory would make sense only if: (1) the Sea Org staff were expected to remain for quite some time; or (2) the dormitory was indeed going to be used to entice and eventually house Class 5 contract staff.

It would make absolutely no sense for the Church of Scientology to buy and convert an office building of this magnitude to house Sea Org staff who were expected to soon replace themselves with Class 5 contract staff who weren't going to live in the building. It would be cheaper and easier to just rent apartments, or perhaps even motel rooms. What the hell would the COS do with an empty building, a building they had just converted into a dormitory, once the SO had left?

I think it is more likely that Kansas City is being largely manned by SO (itself major news) who are expected to stay there for the foreseeable future (also major news).

Harold#1

Thank you for the tip.

However, buying and converting an office building for a dormitory would make sense only if: (1) the Sea Org staff were expected to remain for quite some time; or (2) the dormitory was indeed going to be used to entice and eventually house Class 5 contract staff.

It would make absolutely no sense for the Church of Scientology to buy and convert an office building of this magnitude to house Sea Org staff who were expected to soon replace themselves with Class 5 contract staff who weren't going to live in the building. It would be cheaper and easier to just rent apartments, or perhaps even motel rooms. What the hell would the COS do with an empty building, a building they had just converted into a dormitory, once the SO had left?

I think it is more likely that Kansas City is being largely manned by SO (itself major news) who are expected to stay there for the foreseeable future (also major news).
It would make absolutely no sense for the Church of Scientology to...........

ISNOINews

It would make absolutely no sense for the Church of Scientology to...........
Yeah, I almost added the disclaimer that the Church of Scientology sometimes does stuff that doesn't make any sense.

But to buy and convert am office building to only temporarily house Sea Org staff?

If the SO were expected to replace themselves within a reasonable time, wouldn't they accomplish that before the conversion was completed, or soon after?

onceuponatime

Thank you for the tip.

Well when they opened the line was that they were only being manned with sea org temporarily while other recruits were found and the S.O. members would be replaced with class v staff. But now that they've been open for a year and I'm sure they haven't made any progress on recruiting class v staff I think reality is starting to set in that this may actually be a permanent posting so they are looking for permanent berthing. It's obviously S.O. berthing, 4-6 people to a room/unit, S.O. berthing for sure.

I haven't ever heard any credible rumors of dorms for class v staff being seriously considered. Certainly never as far as actually filing plans etc. I also don't think they will entice people at 4-6 per room...

I'm sticking with this is S.O. berthing now that they are realizing it's going to be a long term posting rather than just a quick recruit 50 class v staff and then go back to LA.

ISNOINews

Well when they opened the line was that they were only being manned with sea org temporarily while other recruits were found and the S.O. members would be replaced with class v staff. But now that they've been open for a year and I'm sure they haven't made any progress on recruiting class v staff I think reality is starting to set in that this may actually be a permanent posting so they are looking for permanent berthing. It's obviously S.O. berthing, 4-6 people to a room/unit, S.O. berthing for sure.

I haven't ever heard any credible rumors of dorms for class v staff being seriously considered. Certainly never as far as actually filing plans etc. I also don't think they will entice people at 4-6 per room...

I'm sticking with this is S.O. berthing now that they are realizing it's going to be a long term posting rather than just a quick recruit 50 class v staff and then go back to LA.
Again, thanks. That all makes sense. I agree.

It would have been major news if, as I speculated earlier, the COS had decided to provide dormitory housing for Class 5 contracted staff. It is still major news if the COS has recognized and accepted that Kansas City Org is, for all practical purposes, going to be a Sea Org Org for the foreseeable future and is making the necessary housing arrangements.

Karen#1

Purchasing Real Estate is a hobby horse of the cult and they have made some serious money buying and flipping.
Ecclesiastical !
There was an enlightening thread on the real estate flipping on ESMB but it seems locked from research so I can't find it.