Scientology Patron Meritorious Joy Villa says: "I hope Ellen Page doesn’t try to steal any female roles"

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Last edited:

ISNOINews

Joy Villa's tweet is additionally significant because:

(1) Elliot Page plays the role of Vanya Hargreeves, a cisgender woman, on "The Umbrella Academy"; and

(2) some commentators on social media have suggested that the role of Vanya Hargreeves should be recast. See:

Variety: Elliot Page Will Continue to Star in ‘Umbrella Academy,’ Netflix Changes Credits on His Past Films

Elliot Page Will Continue to Star in ‘Umbrella Academy,’ Netflix Changes Credits on His Past Films

Screenshot_20201202-161614_1606951462154.png

Thus, it appears Villa may be suggesting that Page should lose his job playing the part of Vanya Hargreeves.

/

Last edited:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
All this stuff makes me feels kinda nuts! :coolwink: Hard to keep up with.

We don't do this kind of stuff in my neighborhood . . .
not that I know of. :giggle:

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Joy Villa's tweet is additionally significant because:

(1) Elliot Page plays the role of Vanya Hargreeves, a cisgender woman, on "The Umbrella Academy"; and

(2) some commentators on social media have suggested that the role of Vanya Hargreeves should be recast. See:

Variety: Elliot Page Will Continue to Star in ‘Umbrella Academy,’ Netflix Changes Credits on His Past Films

Elliot Page Will Continue to Star in ‘Umbrella Academy,’ Netflix Changes Credits on His Past Films

View attachment 8072

Thus, it appears Villa may be suggesting that Page should lose his job playing the part of Vanya Hargreeves.

/
It's called sarcasm.

One issue that's received a lot of talk is whether it is appropriate for straight actors to play gay characters

If they're going to argue that straight actors should not play gay characters, then it is equally legitimate to say that a transgender man should not be playing a cisgender woman. Or that LGBT actors should not play straight characters.

Or does "appropriate" only go one way? If it does, then one is arguing for privileged status for LGBT people, in the original sense of "privilege" (from prīvus (“private”) + lēx, lēg- (“law”). or in other words being subject to different rules than most people, or being exempt from the rules that govern most people).

Last edited:

ISNOINews

It's called sarcasm.

One issue that's received a lot of talk is whether it is appropriate for straight actors to play gay characters

If they're going to argue that straight actors should not play gay characters, then it is equally legitimate to say that a transgender man should not be playing a cisgender woman. Or that LGBT actors should not play straight characters.

Or does "appropriate" only go one way? If it does, then one is arguing for privileged status for LGBT people, in the original sense of "privilege" (from prīvus (“private”) + lēx, lēg- (“law”). or in other words being subject to different rules than most people).
My personal view is that an actor of any sexual orientation or sexual identity (i.e., cis or trans) should be able to play a role of any other sexual orientation or sexual identity. I would like to think that acting is a meritocracy where the best person for the part gets the part. In any event, I think society should work towards that goal.

I understand that there are those who disagree. I also understand that it may make a difference if a group is historically under-represented or over-represented. Perhaps acting is not actually a meritocracy.

For example, it may as be difficult for a gay man to say "Oh sure, straight men can play gay parts" when as a practical matter gay men are rarely cast in parts that are obviously heterosexual -- e.g., male heterosexual romantic leads or male leads in heterosexual romantic comedies. Historically, if things have gone "one way," it certainly hasn't been to the benefit of LGBTQ actors. It has historically been to their detriment. LGBTQ actors stayed in the closet for a reason.

Regardless, I posted the OP as further evidence of Joy Villa's dishonesty and hypocrisy. Villa makes a big deal of being LGBTQ friendly, and indeed being an example of the cool, young, LGBTQ tolerant Republican, but: (1) demonstrates hostility towards Trans people: and (2) at least tolerates hostility to Gay people. See:

Flashback -- Video: Joy Villa critical of Trans Men and Women.

At a Trump rally in Mount Juliet, TN, Villa says that she can't understand how trans people can be confused about their gender identity. And everyone laughs.

Fastback -- YouTube audio. Joy Villa appears on Chosen Generation [Christian] Radio at 55:40 --

-- right after the host says, "Look, I am for marriage between a man and a woman" at 52:54.

Flashback -- Scientology Patron Meritorious Joy Villa claims to be a friend and ally to the #LGBTQ community. Really? See her reply to Aubrey Huff.

Screenshot_20200627-194337_1593312333613.png

These are the actions of a supporter? Of an ally? Of a friend?

I posted the above stories to let the LGBTQ community know who Villa is, what she says, and what she really stands for. I think they are entitled to know.

Finally, it is possible to discuss the acting role issues without making things personal -- going after Elliot Page by name one day after he came out -- and, as I explain in an earlier post above, perhaps suggesting that Page should lose their existing acting job. My personal opinion is doing that is evidence that one is an ashole. YMMV.

Last edited:

Karakorum

Broke ranks over 10 years ago, never looked back
I think Joy is probably in a single digit group of scientologists that can get away with saying they love Jesus and are LGBT-friendly. She can get away with it solely because of her celeb status and charisma.

Suffice to say if any of my gator ex-colleagues would get off the leash and sent after Joy, she'd get mauled beyond recognition. But scn knows better than to ethics-process their best assets.

Because, dear celebs, that's what you are inside -assets. That's how they look at you, that's what they call you.