Scientology Patron Meritorious Joy Villa says Cardi B "is a disgrace to womanhood"

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Nah. No joke despite my loling
Controversial art is necessary! Offensive and grotesque and disgusting art is necessary. Not saying we can't call it that, but it has a right to exist like any art. Idk! just my thinking
Art has a right to exist and people have the right to say that some piece of art was disgusting or kitsch or just poor taste if they feel like it. The artist then has the right to ignore them, being content to cater to his own specific consumers.

Where I tend to draw the line is "art" that has so little popular appeal that it would never survive in the free market, but it is artificially kept afloat only through government subsidies, or grants from a specific church or political party.

At that point it ceases to be art and becomes a propaganda venture.

Just my 0.02 $.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Which is why they had her perform on the Grammys. Because they knew that people would turn off the show because they found her performance "disgusting, oversexed & grotesque," and not tune into the Grammys next year.

/
The NFL's viewership is down, I think at least partially because of the kneeling stuff. But they don't care. "Wokeness" is more important than profits

Enthetan

Controversial art is necessary! Offensive and grotesque and disgusting art is necessary. Not saying we can't call it that, but it has a right to exist like any art. Idk! just my thinking
Cardi B is not controversial among the "Entertainment Industry" set.

If she really wanted to be controversial in front of that crowd, she could have come out wearing a red"Make America Great Again" hat and respectfully sang the Star Spangled Banner while she and her group were standing at attention.

The audience would have thrown their drinks at her.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Art has a right to exist and people have the right to say that some piece of art was disgusting or kitsch or just poor taste if they feel like it. The artist then has the right to ignore them, being content to cater to his own specific consumers.

Where I tend to draw the line is "art" that has so little popular appeal that it would never survive in the free market, but it is artificially kept afloat only through government subsidies, or grants from a specific church or political party.

At that point it ceases to be art and becomes a propaganda venture.

Just my 0.02 $.
Anything that's easily duplicated isn't art.

People have the right to say that, too.

Calling her an artist and that art is like calling the bearded lady at the circus art.

It may be entertainment but anyone can do it.

Whenever a movie has to resort to tits and ass to keep viewer attention there's serious plot issues.

The same thing goes for music.

Whitney Houston never had to resort to simulated masturbation like Madonna.

Houston will still be selling as Madonna fades into obscurity.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
I guess it depends what we consider "easily" duplicated. Shakespeare's Mcbeth was duplicated across the world from the grandest of theaters to the most simple of school plays. Does it make it less of an art?

Also, there are art forms that are deliberately kept as simple as possible in order to be accessible to huge amounts of people. The Japanese Haiku, or my own favorite - the chastushka, are good example of that. Literally anyone can write a chastushka and making the rhymes too fancy and the structure too complex would actually make it a poor chastushka - the simpler the rhyme, the better.

Enthetan

Actually, here's an example of a real controversial performance. He decided to actually speak truth to power.

JeansAndRice

Actually, here's an example of a real controversial performance. He decided to actually speak truth to power.

Fuck yes! That is amazing. I hadn't seen that. He's very spot on.. and yes I agree, that is real controversy, he brings to light some amazing points.

I don't find the Cardi performance controversial. Perhaps due to my conscious and selective consumption of popular media, which probably desensitizes me to an extent to hyper-sexualization like this (but see, I know it's hyper-sexualized..). I like watching people be weird and performative and yes, ridiculous. So flawed, so human.. it's lovely to me.
I'd argue all art is imitation..

guanoloco

As-Wased
I guess it depends what we consider "easily" duplicated. Shakespeare's Mcbeth was duplicated across the world from the grandest of theaters to the most simple of school plays. Does it make it less of an art?

Also, there are art forms that are deliberately kept as simple as possible in order to be accessible to huge amounts of people. The Japanese Haiku, or my own favorite - the chastushka, are good example of that. Literally anyone can write a chastushka and making the rhymes too fancy and the structure too complex would actually make it a poor chastushka - the simpler the rhyme, the better.
I tell you what.

Go write a Shakespearen Macbeth of caliber and then lecture me on how it was duplicated with ease.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Fuck yes! That is amazing. I hadn't seen that. He's very spot on.. and yes I agree, that is real controversy, he brings to light some amazing points.

I don't find the Cardi performance controversial. Perhaps due to my conscious and selective consumption of popular media, which probably desensitizes me to an extent to hyper-sexualization like this (but see, I know it's hyper-sexualized..). I like watching people be weird and performative and yes, ridiculous. So flawed, so human.. it's lovely to me.

I never said anything about imitation.

Enthetan

I tell you what.

Go write a Shakespearen Macbeth of caliber and then lecture me on how it was duplicated with ease.
I think the two of you are talking past each other.

Shakespeare's plays are PERFORMED in a multitude of settings, by a wide range of actors, and the basic plot lines have been adapted into a multitude of derivative works ("East Side Story" from "Romeo and Juliet", etc)

Shakespeare's artistry was in letting us see aspects of the human condition. That's what real art is about -- a very precise observer seeing things, and then presenting them to us so that we can see too.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.

You'll probably enjoy this then (it made me laugh anyway).

:heartflowers:

1615960377536.png

JeansAndRice

I never said anything about imitation.
Oh, okay! I was talking about "Anything that's easily duplicated isn't art. " which... I understood as saying ‘it isn't art if it is imitable.. easily duplicated’.. unless this is the Scn-ish definition of easily duplicated, THEN I would say a lot of art dealers would probably agree. "If you can understand that art, it isn't art! It must be convoluted and confusing and vague!" or "you don't REALLY understand this art" lol
but I'm just gonna go over here now and mind my own business. :heartbeat:

Last edited:

JeansAndRice

Enthetan

You'll probably enjoy this then (it made me laugh anyway).

:heartflowers:

View attachment 9994
It has elements of comedy and also pathos.

The woman on the left will eventually become like the woman on the right. The woman on the right probably was once a hot looking teen.

My wife is no longer the cute girl with perky breasts I first met close to 40 years (and several kids) ago. But she still retains qualities which keep me happy.

"Cardi B", on the other hand, is going to find herself alone, bitter, and angry in 20 years.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
1615977280389.png
It has elements of comedy and also pathos.

The woman on the left will eventually become like the woman on the right. The woman on the right probably was once a hot looking teen.

My wife is no longer the cute girl with perky breasts I first met close to 40 years (and several kids) ago. But she still retains qualities which keep me happy.

"Cardi B", on the other hand, is going to find herself alone, bitter, and angry in 20 years.

It's art imitating art! Lol ... TBH I see it as pure comedy (well, the woman on the right is a comedian) and in todays world we need all the laughter we can get, but I do see your point.

:)

guanoloco

As-Wased
Art is supposed to be associated with an aesthetic appeal.

The Cardi B stuff is easily done by anyone. There's no mastery of technique. It's repulsive.

It's like a Hustler magazine.

YUCK!!

Does it have an audience? Sure.

So does "tubgirl".

At best I would categorize it as entertainment. If it was parody I would call it art but it's not. It's commercialized, serious and "it" right now.

We're on a landslide down.

"There's some whores in this house." - over and over and over and over.