Scientology leader David Miscavige is 'nowhere to be found': Prosecutors trying to serve federal trafficking suit against him have tried to reach him

Karen#1

• Florida officials have tried 27 times to serve Scientology's leader with a lawsuit
  • David Miscavige is named in a trafficking lawsuit brought by former members
  • Scientology members have said they have no idea of his whereabouts
  • In the suit, three ex-Scientologists say that they were forced into labor as children
  • Miscavige's last official address was at the church's headquarters in LA

Excerpt:
Prosecutors trying to serve David Miscavige with a federal child trafficking lawsuit say that the mysterious leader of Scientology is 'nowhere to be found.'

Authorities have attempted to serve papers to Miscavige, 62, on 27 different occasions over the course of four months in the Clearwater-area in Florida and in Los Angeles, reports the Tampa Bay Times.

When lawyers appeared at Scientology properties and asked security guards about Miscavige's whereabouts, the guards said that they were clueless. The plaintiffs in the lawsuit have even hired a private investigator in an attempt to track him down.

Type4_PTS

Tanchi

Looks like Daily Mail got much of this from Tony Ortega and Tracey McManus

I normally despise journalists that get their stories by reading other stories. In this case, however, I hope all the media picks up on it, and spreads the world-wide word about the tiny despot.

lotus

Gone away from madness!
I normally despise journalists that get their stories by reading other stories. In this case, however, I hope all the media picks up on it, and spreads the world-wide word about the tiny despot.
Yep
Walking in the footsteps of Uncle Ron, he has gone in hiding!
Unfortunately , a bluebird camper in the desert won't do it...
Google is a bitch...
:hide::nailbiting::giveup::begging:

Cat's Squirrel

I'm giving Miscavige the benefit of the doubt here. He must be astute enough to know that this isn't going to go away, because trafficking is a serious charge. So does he plan on staying wherever he's hiding forever, or moving from safe haven to safe haven until the authorities catch up with him?

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
except it's not actually prosecutors, just opposing private attorneys in a civil suit, right? the source is a newspaper i think the Brits call the 'Daily Fail"....

still, noteworthy even for what's really going on, and that it's getting attention that is due and not too inaccurate bad PR for the CoS and its leader's playing fast and loose with the 'wog' legal system....

Cat's Squirrel

except it's not actually prosecutors, just opposing private attorneys in a civil suit, right? the source is a newspaper i think the Brits call the 'Daily Fail"....

still, noteworthy even for what's really going on, and that it's getting attention that is due and not too inaccurate bad PR for the CoS and its leader's playing fast and loose with the 'wog' legal system....
Yeah. I don't know the American legal system but possibly they're launching a civil rather than a criminal suit because the threshold of proof is lower in civil cases.

For the benefit of never-ins, it's worth pointing out that Scientology doesn't really believe in childhood and nor does it have any concept of stages of development that we all have to go through as we grow up and out of it. Children in Scientology's eyes are just thetans in little bodies - that's why it sees nothing wrong with having a 14 year old Ethics officer as happened at St Hill once (I think he was the only one they could find who had no overts, or something like that).

pineapple

能说的名字不真的名字
I'm giving Miscavige the benefit of the doubt here. He must be astute enough to know that this isn't going to go away, because trafficking is a serious charge. So does he plan on staying wherever he's hiding forever, or moving from safe haven to safe haven until the authorities catch up with him?
Why not? It worked for LRH. :questions:

Cat's Squirrel

Those were different times though - before social media, so before a time when anyone with a mobile 'phone could snap a picture of a person and upload it to the Internet before you could say "ethics violation." And did it really work for LRH? Despite all the millions he controlled, he ended his days a virtual prisoner in a motorhome and chock full of Vistoril.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
Yeah. I don't know the American legal system but possibly they're launching a civil rather than a criminal suit because the threshold of proof is lower in civil cases.
The problem then is, their ability to track down a defendant is also greatly reduced in a civil case. If it were a criminal case it might well be turned over to someone like US Marshalls who would get warrants to tap electronic communications and raid locations if necessary, and then put DM's face on wanted posters put up in post offices and passed around Clearwater if he somehow still evaded capture.

Why not? It worked for LRH.
i think what worked for LRH was law enforcement never really wanted or came after him despite his paranoia, and maybe just some civil services of process were avoided. it occurs to me, after all we've heard, think about it -- were there ever really any reports that say federal law enforcement or Interpol came looking for him, and his fantastic system kept them at bay not just once, but for repeated and persistent attempts they would almost certainly have made?

it seems to me now that he built up an illusion his followers at the time obviously bought in to, along with ideas like that the planet had only 5 years left, but that everyone since has accepted as well -- i think there is some sort of label for that sort of phenomenon, but it escapes me at this late hour.

lotus

Gone away from madness!
50 years ago, I guess it was easy to hide in a bluebird motorhome in a remote location, disguised with a new look and a new identity.

As a paranoid, you don't even need to leave your secret location to go any place one would need while feeling captive.

Regarding DM, no real hiding is possible. The problem is the server cannot access the privaye properties where he hides.
One day, the court will declared he intentionnaly escapes to be served and will one way or other, perhaps via his attorney , rule that he is considered having been served.

Jeez.
He can play hiding for years....