Scientology in the book Religion, Altered States of Consciousness and Social Change (Ohio State University Press)

Zertel

Why bother posting a brief mention of scn from a book published almost 40 years ago? There are probably hundreds of these.

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Scientology in the book Religion, Altered States of Consciousness and Social Change (Ohio State University Press 1973).

View attachment 14222

View attachment 14223

/
Why bother posting a brief mention of scn from a book published almost 40 years ago? There are probably hundreds of these.
An interesting passage from page 346 of the book Religion, Altered States of Consciousness and Social Change (Ohio State University Press 1973):

https://kb.osu.edu/bitstream/1811/6294/1/RELIGION_ALTERED_STATES_OF_CONSCIOUSNESS_AND_SOCIAL_CHANGE.pdf

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

American "marginal" religious groups employ a variety of means to induce altered states of consciousness. For example, Whitehead (n.d.: 53—54) speaks of the phenomenon termed "exteriorization" by Scientologists ("the sense of being outside one's body") and relates it to stimulus deprivation; she suggests the similarity of this state to the hallucinations produced in sensory deprivation experiments. The Scientologists, thus, are seen to resemble the Vincentian Shakers, described by Henney, in their technique of inducing an altered state. Whitehead adds that this experience of ' 'exteriorization' ' is what "makes Scientology so attractive to those experienced in drugs and meditation. '

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/

Zertel

An interesting passage from page 346 of the book Religion, Altered States of Consciousness and Social Change (Ohio State University Press 1973):

https://kb.osu.edu/bitstream/1811/6294/1/RELIGION_ALTERED_STATES_OF_CONSCIOUSNESS_AND_SOCIAL_CHANGE.pdf

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

American "marginal" religious groups employ a variety of means to induce altered states of consciousness. For example, Whitehead (n.d.: 53—54) speaks of the phenomenon termed "exteriorization" by Scientologists ("the sense of being outside one's body") and relates it to stimulus deprivation; she suggests the similarity of this state to the hallucinations produced in sensory deprivation experiments. The Scientologists, thus, are seen to resemble the Vincentian Shakers, described by Henney, in their technique of inducing an altered state. Whitehead adds that this experience of ' 'exteriorization' ' is what "makes Scientology so attractive to those experienced in drugs and meditation. '

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/
Regardless of what you call it or whether it has any significance, there are many thousands of such experiences related all over the place without sensory deprivation, drugs or meditation. The passage is explaining exteriorization in scientific or realistic terms. At the top of the scn "Bridge" along with being "at cause" over everything is the supposed ability to be exterior with full perception but I always thought that was unrealistic and I never bought into it.

Two years ago I needed to run a quick errand. I got into my car and as I was pulling out of my driveway "I" felt like a passenger in the car I was driving. "I" was located about a foot behind and a foot to the right of my head. When I got to my destination five minutes later I turned off the engine and I was again "properly located" between my ears. (joke) Being an Ex I had a description for the experience, that being a short episode of being exterior. I just added it to the list of a few experiences I've witnessed or experienced over the years which fall in the category of paranormal.

edit to add: I was just now playing around on my computer and found a copy of the tech dictionary and seeing if I could copy and paste from it. It worked so I'll just leave it here since the subject of exteriorization is being discussed.

exteriorization: 1. The state of the thetan, the individual himself, being outside his body.
When this is done, the person achieves a certainty that he is himself and not his body. 2.
Exteriorization is defined as the act of moving out of the body with or without full perception.
It is the fact of this act which proves that the individual is not a body but an individual.
This discovery in 1952 proved beyond any question the existence of a thetan, that the
individual was a thetan, not a body, and disproved that Man was an animal, and that he
was a spiritual being, timeless and deathless.

Last edited: