Scientology had an historic day in court yesterday, and the experts weigh in

Karen#1

Excerpt:

At almost the exact same time yesterday, about 2 pm Eastern, Scientology’s “religious arbitration” was being litigated in both Los Angeles and Atlanta yesterday.

While we were watching the attorney for Danny Masterson’s accusers answer questions from appellate justices on a live feed in Los Angeles, in Atlanta the federal Eleventh Circuit finally issued a ruling on the Garcia appeal that had been argued in July 2020.

In both cases, the prospects for former Scientologists suing the church have become pretty dim.~~~ READ MORE

mimsey borogrove

I was reading Texas lawyers comments, along with Tony's and they commented on a fun fact, but didn't appreciate the importance of it.

The defendant's attorney said that the plaintiffs had not been labeled Suppressive.

This is a very important point when you take it in the context of the impending arbitration. It is a legal dodge to avoid attacks re: the onesidedness inherent in the arbitration as it went down on the Garcia's. That was a potential flaw that could scuttle an arbitration in a court of law. By not declaring them SP's they can then tout the fact all parties were in good standing, and no, it wasn't a kangaroo court.

Thee and me, knowith with almost 100% certainty, they were declared but the goldenrod was not made public.

Mimsey

Last edited:

Karen#1

Daily Mail ~~ Its website has more than 218 million unique visitors per month (Google)

Four women who sued Church of Scientology for harassment after accusing 'That '70s Show' actor Danny Masterson of raping them at his Hollywood Hills home 20 years ago seek court trial instead of religious arbitration

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the agreements signed were specific to a particular "service" being delivered. You don't sign one of these agreements unless you are about to get training or auditing. How they are expanding their coverage to include other circumstances seems false.

HelluvaHoax!

Some of the legal system works splendidly to produce justice laden outcomes.

However, vast stretches of the court ecosystem are handicapped by blind spots and loopholes the size of intergalactic black holes.

That would be bad enough, but the court system is further crippled on many cases due a pandemic of stupidity by the practitioners within it.

If one is ever caught in that legal quicksand on either side of the "vs", it quickly becomes apparent that the main goal and purpose of the entire court system is the propagation of billable hours.

Thus it is no surprise that ridiculously uninformed judges routinely make pitifully bad, inconsistent and even legally incorrect adjudications. But no worries, you can sometimes get these kind of monumental injustices and screwups corrected and reversed—if you are willing to invest an extra 10-20 years battling it all the way up and down the appeals system.

Trust me that is no exaggeration. I've got the stories and the canceled checks. LOL

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
Daily Mail ~~ Its website has more than 218 million unique visitors per month (Google)

Four women who sued Church of Scientology for harassment after accusing 'That '70s Show' actor Danny Masterson of raping them at his Hollywood Hills home 20 years ago seek court trial instead of religious arbitration

I assume you cannot use a civil suit if there is a criminal case in progress.

Rape would be a criminal matter and I also assume that the findings there would be used at a civil court.

Does anyone disagree here?

Bill

I thought the agreements signed were specific to a particular "service" being delivered. You don't sign one of these agreements unless you are about to get training or auditing. How they are expanding their coverage to include other circumstances seems false.
I think that the contract isn't actually a valid contract but their lawyers seem to treat it as valid. I also think that one party should be able to opt out of a contract they no longer consider valid (askthescientologist.com).

Lee #28

Do I need to buy and place a Legal Announcement in a Newpaper....to state that I am no longer a Scientologist?