SCIENTOLOGY GREEN TAPES: "What is the e-meter good for? Does everyone in scientology believe that it works?"

Karakorum

Broke ranks over 10 years ago, never looked back
Cause why not. Decided to turn some of my posts into short TT & YT vids.

Last edited:

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
Yes, types of brain activity can affect skin resistance to mild electric current.

Sometimes it will "e-meter read" on things that are true and sometimes on things that are false.
Does anyone here believe that Hubbard was almost run over by a freight train on the planet Venus?

(Also, in a court-of-law, a polygraph test is not accepted as evidence for guilt or innocence. Why not? :D )

Last edited:

Marko Ex

Yes, types of brain activity can affect skin resistance to mild electric current.

Sometimes it will "e-meter read" on things that are true and sometimes on things that are false.
Does anyone here believe that Hubbard was almost run over by a freight train on the planet Venus?

(Also, in a court-of-law, a polygraph test is not accepted as evidence for guilt or innocence. Why not? :D )
What types of brain activity specifically affect skin resistance to mild electric current passing through e-meter cans?Genuine question.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist

So, IMO, Hubbard decided to switch from using some hypnotic induction, in the very early days of Dianetics, to using an e-meter that was designed by Volney Mathison.

(I am just talking about some history. I am not defending Hubbard nor Mathison.)

Marko Ex

In other words, the e-meter the cult uses is crude by current gsr technology standards...
But, yeah, it's a "sciency" gimmick Hubbard, um, "appropriated" and proceeded to use to
ding in his Crowleyian fantasy of world/universe domination...

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
In other words, the e-meter the cult uses is crude by current gsr technology standards...
But, yeah, it's a "sciency" gimmick Hubbard, um, "appropriated" and proceeded to use to
ding in his Crowleyian fantasy of world/universe domination...
Yes, IMO the e-meter is crude compared to a polygraph.

(I am not sure if a polygraph is still used for hiring a person for a top-secret engineering job.)

Karakorum

Broke ranks over 10 years ago, never looked back
Yes, IMO the e-meter is crude compared to a polygraph.

(I am not sure if a polygraph is still used for hiring a person for a top-secret engineering job.)
It is not even a functional polygraph: it does not detect "lies".

The only thing it really does is act as a rough anxiety indicator. But if the person is anxious, that doesn't mean the he/she is necessarily lying.
As an investigator you would constantly face this interpretation dilemma when seeing that someone is getting anxious:

A) He/she is lying and is getting afraid that we will find out.
B) They got anxious because they realized that we have read their PC folder or ethics file or made secret recordings of them etc.
C) They have no idea what is going on and have not done anything themselves, but just being interrogated as part of this investigation makes them think that there must have been some flap at their org/base/department. That means they suspect there may be a lot of work in the near future and this thought alone makes them anxious.
D) They are entirely innocent, but still afraid that they will get punished for the fallout of what someone else has done.
E) Just being with an ethics gator in the same room makes them anxious - innocent or not.

So the fact that someone is becoming anxious - that doesn't mean anything on its own. Which is where facts, data, recordings, witness statements and all the real parts of investigation comes in.

Last edited: