Scientologist and chiropractor Joseph “Ben” Barton, 47, of Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina is a nasty piece of work according to court records. The owner of Midlands Physical Medicine LLC, the records shows ample evidence of a sexual predator, a racist, and a financial felon.
In a US Department of Justice press release, Barton, the owner of Midlands Physical Medicine LLC, admitted to using the identity of another doctor in Florida without that doctor’s knowledge or permission to submit fraudulent Medicare claims in the amount of $194,000. Barton faces a maximum sentence of ten years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
Barton joins his fellow Scientologists and chiropractors Jeff and Jay Spina as felons convicted of medical insurance fraud. Jay Spina is presently serving nine years in US Federal prison and his brother Jay is soon to follow. Ben Barton is awaiting sentence.
In 2018, Ben Barton was sued for allegedly “forcing Scientology and sex” on one of his female employees. The employee sued under the name of Jane Doe. She claimed in her lawsuit that Barton fired her in retaliation after she refused his many unwanted sexual advances.
Jane Doe submitted text messages Barton sent her as part of the evidence in her lawsuit against him. Barton’s texts are both highly offensive and racist:
Jane Doe further alleged that Barton made an explicit video of him masturbating and sent it to her. This lawsuit becomes even more bizarre when we learn that Barton was also seeking to “help” Jane Doe by converting her to Scientology, this even has he was engaged in sexually harassing her. As Jane Doe argued in her lawsuit:
In his answer to Jane Doe’s lawsuit, Barton denied everything and claimed Jane Doe had consented to his sexual advances. Barton claimed Jane Doe had defamed his sterling reputation in her lawsuit. He asked the court to summarily dismiss Jane Doe’s case and award him legal fees. Jane Doe hit back at Barton’s claims of defamation in her answer:23. Barton used his position of authority over Doe to pry her into sharing intimate details of her past, including the fact that Doe was the victim of prior sexual assault.
24. After learning of Doe’s painful past, Barton initiated many conversations with Doe concerning her sexual trauma.
25. Barton encouraged and urged Doe to open up about her sexual trauma under the auspices of helping her. In reality, Barton was preying on Doe’s vulnerabilities to sexually harass and exploit her.
26. Barton told Doe that through his practice of Scientology, he could sense emotional disturbances in people and could sense that Doe had suffered emotional trauma.
27. Barton claimed he wanted to help Doe with her weaknesses.
28. This “help” included Barton’s offer to send Doe to a facility outside of South Carolina which would help her overcome her inner issues.
29. Barton stated that he had attended this facility and that it helped him overcome some “inner issues” he was dealing with from his childhood.
30. Barton claimed this place would help Doe reevaluate the way she thought and believed.
31. Although Barton never provided Doe with the name of this facility, Barton informed Doe that his intention was to convert her into a Scientologist.
Jane Doe’s lawsuit went into arbitration where she was awarded a $75,000 settlement. The court awarded her attorney fees of $13,975.72.26. There has been no constitutional malice and therefore, Defendants’ Counterclaims must be dismissed…
28. Plaintiff maintains a defense of truth, public interest in the knowledge at issue, and that her disclosures were required to defend herself and her reputation.
29. Plaintiff has a legal right to disclose the truth and therefore, the Defendants’ Counterclaims must be dismissed.
According to court records, Barton paid $25,000 of the settlement and then failed to pay the $50,000 balance. Jane Doe’s attorneys had to haul Barton back into court to compel payment of the court judgment.
Barton then made another $25,000 payment. Thereafter, he failed to pay the remaining balance of $25,000 plus legal fees for a total judgment owing of $40,757.00. Instead of paying the judgment, Barton had his attorney file a motion arguing that Jane Doe’s legal fees were excessive.
The last entry in the court docket for case number 2018CP4000156 shows Barton’s motion for reconsideration of legal fees still dragging through the court in February 2021. The remaining judgment Barton owes Jane Doe is accruing interest per statutory guidelines.
In addition to the judgment against him, sexual predator and racist Ben Barton now faces hard time in a US Federal prison.
Jane Doe has been acquitted: She never defamed Ben Barton. Rather, she exposed this bad actor for what he is.
Barton’s guilty plea underscores what we repeatedly write at The Scientology Money Project: The tolerance for financial schemes, frauds, and sexual offenses inside the Church of Scientology is appalling.
For Scientologist Ben Barton and his company Midlands Physical Medicine to admit that “the doctor” sexually accosted Jane Doe and removed his penis from his pants in front of her in the workplace is shocking — particularly given Barton’s claim that he wanted to help her by using Scientology:
How was Barton standardly applying Scientology by removing his penis from his pants and exposing it to his female employee?
Such conduct is obviously not approved by Scientology, but we engage in a reductio ad absurdum here to make a crucial point: Why did the Church of Scientology’s vaunted “technology” fail to address Barton’s sexual predatory nature and his penchant for financial criminality? The Church of Scientology claims it can handle a person's ruin but does it? In Ben Barton's case, the State will handle his ruin by locking him up in prison where he deserves to be.
Indeed, why did the Church of Scientology’s vaunted “technology” fail to handle alleged serial rapist Danny Masterson?
The Church of Scientology makes grandiose claims for its “religious technology” but look at the real world behavior of its members and of the organization itself.
Yet another member of "the most ethical group on the planet" is now headed off to prison and the entire world knows what a monster he is.