SBS News Australia: As Scientology shrinks, it turns its gaze towards the Pacific

Zertel

If Criminon is factually reducing recidivism or helping prisoners in Indonesia so what if it's a front group. The article says it's being administered by Muslims. As usual there are no reliable statistics.

Karakorum

Broke ranks over 10 years ago, never looked back
(...) the article says it's being administered by Muslims.
Ah yes my brother, Muslims like Tony Muhammad and Rizza Islam. Very fine Muslims indeed.

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Ah yes my brother, Muslims like Tony Muhammad and Rizza Islam. Very fine Muslims indeed.
I am sure that, unlike Tony Muhammad and Rizza Islam, the Indonesian Muslims are not members of the Nation of Islam.

86.7% of the Indonesian population identified themselves as Muslim in a 2018 survey. Of that number, 99% adhered to Sunni Islam, and 1% adhered to Shia Islam. See:

Islam in Indonesia - Wikipedia

/

Karakorum

I am sure that, unlike Tony Muhammad and Rizza Islam, the Indonesian Muslims are not members of the Nation of Islam.

86.7% of the Indonesian population identified themselves as Muslim in a 2018 survey. Of that number, 99% adhered to Sunni Islam, and 1% adhered to Shia Islam. See:

Islam in Indonesia - Wikipedia

/
So you think the people who are running criminon are not NOI members, but rather actual local shills motivated by money?

Karakorum

Yes. Money and/or a naive belief that it works.
Maybe I don;t know the local reality that well. But it strikes me as terribly odd that someone would believe that narconon works and yet believe that the rest of scientology is bogus.

I mean... the one single sort of people who could do that might be former drug users that really managed to get off drugs while being at a narconon. They might attribute it to narconon.
But I doubt the majority of people in Indonesia working at narconon are ex-addicts.

... though maybe that is a sizable part of the labor force? :confused:

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Maybe I don;t know the local reality that well. But it strikes me as terribly odd that someone would believe that narconon works and yet believe that the rest of scientology is bogus.

I mean... the one single sort of people who could do that might be former drug users that really managed to get off drugs while being at a narconon. They might attribute it to narconon.
But I doubt the majority of people in Indonesia working at narconon are ex-addicts.

Why do you assume that they "believe that the rest of Scientology is bogus?" They might not have enough exposure to Scientology to know that it is bogus.

/

Karakorum

Why do you assume that they "believe that the rest of Scientology is bogus?" They might not have enough exposure to Scientology to know that it is bogus.
You may be right, I never had anything to do with Narconon personally.

I just assumed it operates like WISE, ABLE, STAND and the rest of the alphabet soup: That they exist solely to promote and defend scientology.

Silly me.

Zertel

The article discusses Applied Scholastics, Youth For Human Rights, and Criminon, not Narconon. I don't know what the Criminon program entails but if it includes any useful information about drugs I don't see that as a bad thing.

The article to an extent presents "both sides of the story" which is a refreshing piece of journalism these days.

Last edited: