RIP Paul Adams

NotsoNutsoNow

I remember this! He designed it in Google Sheets, would you believe it 😂 I was always in awe of how inventive he was.

It's a shame the website's gone offline. I should have a backup copy in Google Drive somewhere, if anyone wants to play it!

There's definitely other, PaulsRobot-related channels. They're linked from the relevant websites!
Would love to have a copy:)

RogerB

Ah, SHIT! This is sad news . . .

Paul was and still is, the very best of the best and beloved by many.

He also did much good and helped many.

And like the good who have gone before him, he will be missed.

Fare thee well old friend.

Interesting . . . as I write this just now, I have connected with him and he says: "You're right Rog, being dead is rather a peaceful affair when you know what it's about. It's the dying that's the bitch!"

Rog

Harden Long

OSA no esta hermOSA
Ah, SHIT! This is sad news . . .

Paul was and still is, the very best of the best and beloved by many.

He also did much good and helped many.

And like the good who have gone before him, he will be missed.

Fare thee well old friend.

Interesting . . . as I write this just now, I have connected with him and he says: "You're right Rog, being dead is rather a peaceful affair when you know what it's about. It's the dying that's the bitch!"

Rog
Beautiful reply Rog, my sentiments exactly. D.
Sorry I never figured out that Zoom program...

Trebor

I worked with Paul in the late 1990's at Wiseman & Burke, in Glendale CA. Paul was a real gentleman, a very kind man. He was ever calm and deliberate in his manner, and I never heard him curse or use vulgar language. He was very helpful to me during a trying episode of my life. I kept in loose contact with Paul as the years passed, after his return to England. About a month ago I got a strong feeling that I should contact Paul, and I sent him an email to ask him how he was doing. He didn't reply, and so after a few weeks, I thought to look on the Ex Scientologist message board. From there I found my way here, to learn the sad news that Paul was no longer with us. Rest in Peace, Paul! You were a good man! (Not like your previous life, as you told me once!)

Last edited:
Paul's postings deserve to be indexed. (He told me, when I first got out, to copy and keep all my postings, I wonder if he did the same, I wonder it he's got a trove of all his postings in one big doc, that would be EXCELLENT for experts in the future._
I have meant for when I get old, to index long term critics/observers' most salient overviews and postings.
A "Book of Things Correctly Observed by Critics of Scientology" and do a sort of OED type of rules for who said what when.
It'd take a couple years, maybe a decade, to do properly.
Paul Adams is in my top ten persons most helpful to me.
I met him when he came joined International Training Org sub unit at the HGB Building. His whole story ought be done up, in a bio, he was a very helpful Staff Courses Sup in ITO in the time I knew him in Sea Org.
He'd done time in Saint Hill UK, that whole history I'm sure ought be spelled out in a bio of him.

ScienoWiki is something he years ago was encouraging of.
He encouraged and helped me set up the 866-XSEAORG phone line.
He was endlessly accurate in linking and answering people's questions.

I had this idea, probably somewhat true, that persons who were successful Course Sups in Scientology's units, had some natural better than average memories, and per the Sup's Code, finding refs for students, is a skill these people/staffers with better than average memories, and discipline to get things as correct as possible, when referring students to LRH refs to clear up their MUs, Paul was quite above average, and a stable fully adequate Sea Org longer term Course Sup. His Brit accent and literacy was refreshing in staff training.

Good course sups, in my opinion, had/have to be even-handed, and sort out student to student fights over checkouts, constantly. Resolving and finding the right definition from the right dictionary or reference material to sort out the correct interpretation or sorting out which definition fits, is a constant, daily task of a course sup. In the end of the day, getting it right, on even ludicrous Hubbard's wild statements, is a skill.

The bigger courses, the Briefing Course, and the OEC/FEBC/PR/ESTO training course rooms, will naturally develop their own specialized refs to help students understand those "hard to find" words and things Hubbard brings up. Which is why long term BC or long term staff training sups will develop mental index (find the same MU over and over, find the material or def that resolves the same MUs students run into over and over, after doing a zillion Course Sup spot checks, a course sup develops this skill to even know what MUs to check on students, the MUs are predictable, and directing students where to go to clear up their expectable MUs, is just something a good sup develops over their career, and my theory is this sort of brain trains good sups into thees type of walking encyclopedias, and Paul was one.)

Just the year in year out discipline of referring students to those specialized refs, is something longer term course sups develop.

I have said to many deaf eared academics, that they would do well to understand that if that academic is speaking to long term ex course sups, or to long term ex staffers who had good semi-perfect memories, that they'd be in clover.

Paul Adams in all of the history of Scientology subject, is kind of well into that class of ex Scientologist, and ex course supervisor, who is in that class of memory helpfulness.

Which is why Paul's postings ought be collected, in a large doc, for the benefit of future researchers of Scientology to search.

All of the persons who have these good memories, and have minds to refer to this or that reference, or link, in getting to the raw Hubbard reference that provides irrefutable backstopping to this or that argument, and to the Hubbard refs that resolve the tiny almost inconsequential things that "academics" of "new religions" argue over, Paul Adams' passing will be missed.

I tell academics, to please understand this.

It almost has to be understood by future researchers of Scientology, to seek out the people like Paul, now and in the future, for more decent penetrating understanding of all things Scientology.

Much praise to Paul Adams.

Last edited:
Yes he was 😢
Paul was a close, as close one gets in Sea Org, colleague, for years, in Sea Org history, with me. I really would like to be put in touch with his family, due to the posting of Paul's, if Paul DID up keep them in some computer docs, truly, there are few persons who would appreciate for future researching purposes, to have Paul's total output of thought and comments. Really, honetly, when ex members who don't write their books pass, their postings, as Paul year ago preciently himself advise me to keep, a helpful to researchers type of person, their "brains" can be upkept, for long range future researchers. Paul's postings deserve to be maintained, in an index data base, for future researchers, no question. I would love receive those postings, full doc, of everything Paul output. (There is a level of course sups who ask other course sups, for reference digging up, and sharing of these finer refs that helpfully lay to rest some MUs and Hubbard difficult statements, and Paul in the UK and AOSHUK history, for his time period, is just the tops.)

Honestly, you can verify my bone fides with a few searches of my name and Scientology, I would like to be put in touch with Paul's descendents or family.

Chuck Beatty
[email protected]
USA, Pittsburgh,
412-260-1170

Please relay to anyone of his family, my name, thankyou.

Last edited:
Legacy of Paul Adams.

One point, I encourage, which is what Paul encouraged to me, is persons with good memories, upkeep their postings, in large docs, for future researchers' benefit.

Paul was of the class of "course supervisors" and the sub class of good course supervisors who were meticulous about LRH references.

This is useful in defeating future lame academics' horribly inconsequential and easily refutable papers which just offend us ex truer "experts" of Hubbard's fuller output of writings/lectures, so much.

Paul's mind was really good, in my mind, a person like Paul was a huge loss, when they leave the staff training ranks.

I could go on and on, he fulfilled the Sup's Code, and those that don't know the best aspects of the Sup's Code won't appreciate the fine points of Paul's contribution to Sea Org training history.

It was refreshing to be in a course sup where Paul headed it, for staff training. Me, I'd choose a Paul course room over a Jon Horwich course room, as I know a Paul course room would allow me to clear up MORE misunderstandings than a Jon Horwich course room.

And if you don't know what a Jon Horwich, or a Herbie Parkhouse, course room was, then that's a level of understanding the history of the movement so woefully missing.

There are better than average course sups in the movement's history.

Paul's staff training course room in Int Training Org was really one of the best in the whole era of staff training, and I was observant and appreciative of staff traning from Dec 1975 til I left Sea org in 2003.

At this time, May 2020, the current climate of "serious" research of Scientology, meaning deep page by page study and piecing it all together, from 1950 to now, all writings, all persons, and Hubbard's writings and lectures come first of course, there will be persons which the overall embracive understanding of all things Hubbard, all things other person's in house writings, and in the staff training course rooms, a really good staff training course sup is almost always never existent.

It's just maddening, if one is a self acknowledged "OCD" (perfectionist) minded person, to study Hubbard, and have to just pass by misunderstandings of Hubbard's sentences/word-uses which a newbie training on staff today, will be monkey-see/monkey-do following the leads of his fellow newbie staffers and un-history-trained staff course sups just blithly NOT understanding in full, what Hubbard said or meant.

There are just so many smaller MUs going on, all the time, all acceptable, and the Miscavige era, my observation, is to negate and try edit out all the unecessary smaller abbreviations and opportunities for these smaller MUs that sprinkle all through Hubbard's raw full original writings and lectures.

YES, the critics today, are universally correct, this blog, I so appreciate it continues, thanks to all here.

IN terms of the researchers, looking over Scientology's history, especially UK and Int Training Org history years, when Paul was there, must appreciate Paul's contributions.

His family, ought know of Paul's skills, which he lent to Sea Org training history, if they don't.

The Hubbard subject, is as unworthy as ever, but the persons' skills in sleuthing through the finer MUs and refs, and history that goes with the refs of the periods when Hubbard is referring in one of Hubbard's finer point refs to this or that coinciding history event, it is all context.

Paul brought a lot to understanding the Hubbard wider context, to the benefit of staff training, and thus, to resolve future arguments on those same finepoint Hubbard interpretations, Paul's comments I hope are preserved.

I'm today studying the pre-Socratics, and it's taken me a few years, and I'm likely never to even be a beginner in this zone.

In real legit subjects in academia, there are thsee persons who were experts who came along year and hundreds of years later, who struggled to decipher the original non-existent leftover scraps of the original pre-Socratics.

Paul ought be thought of a class of ex Saa Org training dept staffer, whose views are valuable to sift through. Paul's interpretations and thoughts are valuable, and worthy of having in a data base to search.

Praise to anyone who preserves Paul's output on Scientology subject.

Last edited:

Rod5591

I found Paul mentioned on on of the Reddit Scientology threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/scientology/comments/hfcpas
Paul also has two webpages that I found:

PaulsRobot.com
Paulsrobot3.com

In each he used the same photo of himself, intent looking, with his finger in the air, making a point. Paul must have treasured his identity as a course supervisor, it seems. Hubbard may have been a fraud, but at least he kept many people very busy.

Colin Guy

So sorry to hear this sad news. Paul and I were old friends. Late nights in the galley at Stonelands, where he taught me to play bridge. Singing together, he played acoustic guitar and had a strong voice. More recently, he spent a day at our house with friends and shared his enthusiasm for new projects and talked about his love of playing bowls. Shame that in these difficult times we can't get together for a hug, but we can just remember him for his creativity and kindness. RIP dear friend.
Yes, Solo, you've reminded me of Friday nights at Stonelands Galley. A lot of my favourite times at SH. Quite a few of us used to jam on guitars, though I don't remember Paul doing so. However he did teach me how to play GO, one of the most sophisticated games I learned. I think he even taught me to play 3-dimensional noughts and crosses. Even got me considering joining MENSA! Always very late getting to bed in the early hours of Saturday. The memories are flooding back now. Paul was in one of the bunk beds in the corner, I was in a single bed next to it, nobiody above my head. Man, we're all dying now! I hope you're well, at least better than me. It was Paul's presence on ESMB that really made me feel at home. This is the saddest news I've had for ages. What a great guy.

Colin Guy

Shit, that's the saddest news I've had for ages and that's really saying something.
At least he didn't have a long drawn out uncomfortable ending, like I'm having.

I just thought "Check ESMB, see what's happening", usually the first thing I do is check what Paul's been up to as he never missed anything I would be interested in. And this is the first thing I saw. Bummer.

Funny how you only realise how much you love someone when they're gone. (Unless you get smart, which I will endeavour to do from now on. I love you guys!!!)

I joined the SO a week or two after Paul, did the EPF with him and went into Treasury on the same day. He really had the blinkless TR0 down cold. Very droll sense of humour. Never dull! Get him on to something he was interested in and he got very lively. He taught me how to play GO and I really enjoyed that till we got moved to different berthings.

He's the guy who faced up to Alex Sibersky (and lived).

I would say Paul and Emma made ESMB for me. Really good people.

I had lots of photos of Paul at my brother Alistair's wedding at SH in 1974 (I think) but I scrapped the whole lot after how badly the marriage went. But you know what he looked like, since he didn't experiment much with his image over the years!

Frankly, I'm finding it pretty rotten being 69 and all alone (apart from 2 dogs I love to bits), we're all popping off quickly now.

Paul was gentleman, a stickler for getting it right. I loved him. And I love all of you too.

Might as well say bye-bye myself now. Thanks for all the fish.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Shit, that's the saddest news I've had for ages and that's really saying something.
At least he didn't have a long drawn out uncomfortable ending, like I'm having.

I just thought "Check ESMB, see what's happening", usually the first thing I do is check what Paul's been up to as he never missed anything I would be interested in. And this is the first thing I saw. Bummer.

Funny how you only realise how much you love someone when they're gone. (Unless you get smart, which I will endeavour to do from now on. I love you guys!!!)

I joined the SO a week or two after Paul, did the EPF with him and went into Treasury on the same day. He really had the blinkless TR0 down cold. Very droll sense of humour. Never dull! Get him on to something he was interested in and he got very lively. He taught me how to play GO and I really enjoyed that till we got moved to different berthings.

He's the guy who faced up to Alex Sibersky (and lived).

I would say Paul and Emma made ESMB for me. Really good people.

I had lots of photos of Paul at my brother Alistair's wedding at SH in 1974 (I think) but I scrapped the whole lot after how badly the marriage went. But you know what he looked like, since he didn't experiment much with his image over the years!

Frankly, I'm finding it pretty rotten being 69 and all alone (apart from 2 dogs I love to bits), we're all popping off quickly now.

Paul was gentleman, a stickler for getting it right. I loved him. And I love all of you too.

Might as well say bye-bye myself now. Thanks for all the fish.
I've been really missing Paul's presence here recently ... and I'm sorry to hear that you are not having the best time Colin (though happy to know you have your dogs, mine are very dear to me too).

I liked knowing you and your brothers were around (SH) ... I felt safer knowing you were there.

Love back to you.

:heartflowers:

Riddick

I clap to no man
Legacy of Paul Adams.

One point, I encourage, which is what Paul encouraged to me, is persons with good memories, upkeep their postings, in large docs, for future researchers' benefit.

Paul was of the class of "course supervisors" and the sub class of good course supervisors who were meticulous about LRH references.

This is useful in defeating future lame academics' horribly inconsequential and easily refutable papers which just offend us ex truer "experts" of Hubbard's fuller output of writings/lectures, so much.

Paul's mind was really good, in my mind, a person like Paul was a huge loss, when they leave the staff training ranks.

I could go on and on, he fulfilled the Sup's Code, and those that don't know the best aspects of the Sup's Code won't appreciate the fine points of Paul's contribution to Sea Org training history.

It was refreshing to be in a course sup where Paul headed it, for staff training. Me, I'd choose a Paul course room over a Jon Horwich course room, as I know a Paul course room would allow me to clear up MORE misunderstandings than a Jon Horwich course room.

And if you don't know what a Jon Horwich, or a Herbie Parkhouse, course room was, then that's a level of understanding the history of the movement so woefully missing.

There are better than average course sups in the movement's history.

Paul's staff training course room in Int Training Org was really one of the best in the whole era of staff training, and I was observant and appreciative of staff traning from Dec 1975 til I left Sea org in 2003.

At this time, May 2020, the current climate of "serious" research of Scientology, meaning deep page by page study and piecing it all together, from 1950 to now, all writings, all persons, and Hubbard's writings and lectures come first of course, there will be persons which the overall embracive understanding of all things Hubbard, all things other person's in house writings, and in the staff training course rooms, a really good staff training course sup is almost always never existent.

It's just maddening, if one is a self acknowledged "OCD" (perfectionist) minded person, to study Hubbard, and have to just pass by misunderstandings of Hubbard's sentences/word-uses which a newbie training on staff today, will be monkey-see/monkey-do following the leads of his fellow newbie staffers and un-history-trained staff course sups just blithly NOT understanding in full, what Hubbard said or meant.

There are just so many smaller MUs going on, all the time, all acceptable, and the Miscavige era, my observation, is to negate and try edit out all the unecessary smaller abbreviations and opportunities for these smaller MUs that sprinkle all through Hubbard's raw full original writings and lectures.

YES, the critics today, are universally correct, this blog, I so appreciate it continues, thanks to all here.

IN terms of the researchers, looking over Scientology's history, especially UK and Int Training Org history years, when Paul was there, must appreciate Paul's contributions.

His family, ought know of Paul's skills, which he lent to Sea Org training history, if they don't.

The Hubbard subject, is as unworthy as ever, but the persons' skills in sleuthing through the finer MUs and refs, and history that goes with the refs of the periods when Hubbard is referring in one of Hubbard's finer point refs to this or that coinciding history event, it is all context.

Paul brought a lot to understanding the Hubbard wider context, to the benefit of staff training, and thus, to resolve future arguments on those same finepoint Hubbard interpretations, Paul's comments I hope are preserved.

I'm today studying the pre-Socratics, and it's taken me a few years, and I'm likely never to even be a beginner in this zone.

In real legit subjects in academia, there are thsee persons who were experts who came along year and hundreds of years later, who struggled to decipher the original non-existent leftover scraps of the original pre-Socratics.

Paul ought be thought of a class of ex Saa Org training dept staffer, whose views are valuable to sift through. Paul's interpretations and thoughts are valuable, and worthy of having in a data base to search.

Praise to anyone who preserves Paul's output on Scientology subject.
I understand folks emotions for Paul, but logically he was just a pawn in Hubbard's game, like we all were.

Not sure why you are studying pre-socratic, you ought to be studying rhetoric, and specifically how Hubbard learned to write, that was thru his Dean Wilbur, and he learned how to write by applying what Dean Wilbur wrote in his book "English Rhetoric". That's the course Hubbard took at GWU while in college, and also mentioned in his letter to Dean Wilbur.

Use zoom, or Ctrl + to enlarge, and Crtl - to reduce page size.

As you said and Paul said, I am a future researcher, and am documenting. Here is Dean Wilbur letter:

Last edited: