The key quote is:
Some quotes just hit the nail on the head and this is one of them. I think Jon, in his very precise way, has put in one sentence the reason why I left scientology and the SO.Jon Atack said:"You've got all these mechanisms just like the Nazis did, you have different departments doing the same thing and fighting each other over it. so everything remains in turmoil, remarkably inefficient but nobody gets to steal the money"
I'm 2nd gen. I already knew the upper management sucked. I already knew that we won't clear the planet in my lifetime and probably never. I was not a great fan of processing or the tech at that point. But I still soldiered on, woke up every day, worked very hard shoulder to shoulder with my comrades who also gave their best...
... and I felt I spent only 20% of my time and 20% of my effort getting actual work done. The remaining 80% was getting around the various obstacles, idiocies of the admin tech, weird reporting structures, rules within rules within rules that had to be obeyed but that otherwise had no real meaning or effect over anything.
Scientology creates most of its own workload and it does so needlessly.
Redundancy is one of the main demons. I recall times where I was busy fixing some old case that was done by FinPo, only to realize OSA is also working on it at the same time and that in the past some CMO nonsense was also doing the same thing.
The system was designed so that we would all step on each other's toes, because the boundaries of our responsibilities blurred and overlapped. Of course on top of that was internecine animosity - we tried our best NOT to help OSA, they tried their best NOT to help us in any way. Jon is absolutely right, because years later when I read about the Abwehr and the Gestapo and the SD all fighting with one another and stepping on each other's toes... that sounded SO FAMILIAR.
You see, the point of all of that was to prevent any one group of becoming big and independent enough to stage any sort of internal SO coup. Dave came to power as a result of a palace coup and he did not want the same thing happen to him. So if OSA conspired to get him, he could call on security or us at Inv. If we would try to pull a fast one, he could call OSA.
I'm sure they spied on us as much as we spied on them.
But the "EP" of all that redundancy was so much inefficiency and chaos, that people like me would give up or die trying. I gave up.
At one point I decided: "Nope, this machine is broken beyond repair. I'll never be able to make it work efficiently, even if I rise to the very top. Its always gonna be a dreadful busy, fussy mad mess and I want no part of it". I was tired beyond my feelings of loyalty and duty.
In short: I left because I was tired of being tired. And I guess that's one small example how this self-defeating, back-biting corporate structure that is Scientology crumbles away. Scientology is its own worst enemy.