Recent ex-scn

The Oracle

Not the same Oracle from a decade ago
Do you know, I actually don't remember the last straw right now. If I think of it I'll let you know. It definitely was a slow process over 8 or 10 years. I'll tell you one of the last straws was how scientologists have been treating Covid: as a hoax, hysteria, etc. (Which is funny, because their fearful leader has been putting forward those "stay well" pamphlets.)

Yes, most people are 2nd gen or elderly. Occasionally I've met a 3rd gen Scientologist, but that is very rare. I did meet a few 20's-30's who were new recruits to scientology, but again that's pretty rare.

The Ideal orgs are quite empty, which was one of my straws. I traveled a decent amount, and when I was drinking the kool-aid I loved to go hit up the org in the city I visited. Always pretty desolate.
How do they justify to themselves how empty the Ideal Orgs are?
What do they say about Leah and Mike??
So many shows out and books written about Scientology. How are they handling the PR disasters?

Chuck J.

Election Fraud Has Consequences
The Sole Source Myth and Opening Pandora's Box are two MUST READ threads to help speed your journey out of the $cientology mindfuck. You can find links here on ESMBR or go to the old ESMB as well.

Welcome!! I am UTR as well. Tell as much as you want, but leave out the details that might allow others to figure it out.

I have been out just around three years, and the events were the place where you planted yourself on a seat and listened to the lies. Well, that and the publications. Well the events, publications and the reges.

We need stories!!! More stories!!
Good to hear you've managed it for so long. I don't plan to remain UTR forever, but I do hope to be the chink in some friends' scientology armor.

How do they justify to themselves how empty the Ideal Orgs are?
What do they say about Leah and Mike??
So many shows out and books written about Scientology. How are they handling the PR disasters?
My own justifications included, "A lot of people must just go to Flag," "Maybe I'm here on the wrong day," "Maybe I'm looking in the wrong course room," then I'd look at the other course rooms and sure, they had 5 more people on course.

I don't think I asked other people about how empty the orgs were.

Leah is mentioned as a "has been actress trying to make a buck". Mike is not mentioned.

Back when Going Clear was at Sundance, a lot of scientologists shared Danny Masterson's reaction to a reporter. He said something like "I don't fucking watch that, why don't you read the fucking books. You wouldn't interview anti-semites and make a documentary!" (paraphrased)

I knew an OSA guy who watched Going Clear. He said something like how it was "horrible", "full of lies", etc. I of course respected and trusted him.

The church and people in it just ignore most PR disasters. I had no idea most books existed. I think they're going on the theory that maybe news won't get through members' blinders if the church doesn't mention them. Which is true, up to a point.

Welcome out! :welcome:

Make sure to check out the big list of exes speaking out: Former Church of Scientology members who have spoken out

Also: I was never in. I'm an Anon who in 2008 (when the Anonymous protests happened), decided to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT and started helping on line. There are more people around who were never in.

Also book list:

Thanks, I'll check it out. It's so funny talking to one of you guys. You were the enemy! The scary bad guys I should definitely never talk to.

One time when I was on course there was a picket outside the org. We were told not to interact with the protesters, that they were criminals, etc., and to use the back entrance.

Fast forward a few years, at an event it showcased a CCHR picket of an APA convention. The protesters heckled psychiatrists, shouting their message over one psych's attempt to talk to them. The event showed footage of an organizer at a podium recommending people to not talk to the protesters, and people at the event CHEERED! The irony of that was one of my more significant straws.

Dotey OT

Dis-Membered
Thanks, I'll check it out. It's so funny talking to one of you guys. You were the enemy! The scary bad guys I should definitely never talk to.

One time when I was on course there was a picket outside the org. We were told not to interact with the protesters, that they were criminals, etc., and to use the back entrance.

Fast forward a few years, at an event it showcased a CCHR picket of an APA convention. The protesters heckled psychiatrists, shouting their message over one psych's attempt to talk to them. The event showed footage of an organizer at a podium recommending people to not talk to the protesters, and people at the event CHEERED! The irony of that was one of my more significant straws.
I know, it's funny, isn't it? I was thirty years in, on staff for almost ten of those. I recall specifically having indigestion about ESMB, OCMB, Tony Ortega, Arnie Lerma (RIP) and many others. I was convinced they were all full of shite. Until I found out that they weren't.

I started reading books. Checking out the internet. I am in the midst of listening to some pretty interesting interviews. I have been looking for three years now, and still have not learned the breadth and scope of the scam.

I made it out with my much better half. Hope you made it out with someone, or didn't lose anyone in the process.

Type4_PTS

The Sole Source Myth and Opening Pandora's Box are two MUST READ threads to help speed your journey out of the $cientology mindfuck. You can find links here on ESMBR or go to the old ESMB as well.

Here's some links to those threads on the original ESMB:

Also, this:

There are lots of great threads there at the original ESMB. The ones in the section designated as "Featured Threads" are worth reading as well:

Last edited:

TrevAnon

Big list researcher
Last edited:

Karakorum

The church and people in it just ignore most PR disasters. I had no idea most books existed. I think they're going on the theory that maybe news won't get through members' blinders if the church doesn't mention them. Which is true, up to a point.
Thanks for that info. That was my experience back in the Sea Org. I didn't realize this continues to be as true today for the public scientologists who have access to internet etc.

I mean I know there a lot of "OMG entheta!" fear reactions, but I hoped this would be less of an issue after so many years. From what you described nothing has changed.

Thanks for that info. That was my experience back in the Sea Org. I didn't realize this continues to be as true today for the public scientologists who have access to internet etc.

I mean I know there a lot of "OMG entheta!" fear reactions, but I hoped this would be less of an issue after so many years. From what you described nothing has changed.
Yeah the fear reactions are still around. I would occasionally see some headline and would get an adrenaline rush, avert my eyes and try to imagine I didn't see it, or that it wasn't something bad. The thought stopping is going strong, though it's harder with the internet.

People still create their echo chambers and avoid things they don't want to hear or see. In an environment like Facebook, it's particularly easy to do this. Nothing gets through on that site, which unfortunately seems to be most scientologists' main social media.

@GoneThruHeller
Thanks for your illuminating posts. Some of us here have been out for decades
and are really out of touch with the current situation on the ground.
Well written, too. :hattip:
I'm happy to help illuminate where I can. There are other things I want to say but many of them reveal a little too much about me.

And thanks on the writing! I've always loved reading, so it's something I've managed to absorb.

Barile

Yeah the fear reactions are still around. I would occasionally see some headline and would get an adrenaline rush, avert my eyes and try to imagine I didn't see it, or that it wasn't something bad. The thought stopping is going strong, though it's harder with the internet.

People still create their echo chambers and avoid things they don't want to hear or see. In an environment like Facebook, it's particularly easy to do this. Nothing gets through on that site, which unfortunately seems to be most scientologists' main social media.
Many well wishes to you and yours. I've been back in the world for 40 years. Perspectives change as the Koolaid wears off, expect to smile more
and recognize Agent Smith by the smell from a mile away. I'd also like to offer you any help you may need, at any time. Same is true for anyone who would want to leave, but does not have a lifeline.

The Oracle

Not the same Oracle from a decade ago
I'm happy to help illuminate where I can. There are other things I want to say but many of them reveal a little too much about me.

And thanks on the writing! I've always loved reading, so it's something I've managed to absorb.
When I left Scientology (quietly, they did not know) I was in fear of them coming to my home and work. I covered all windows in my house and would not answer the door. It was a form of PTSD.

Can I ask you what you are afraid of - and if you say "the usual" we will all understand that it is fair game and disconnection without saying anything that will reveal anything.

I did not have anyone in so for me, it was not disconnection. What I realized is they had implanted so much fear in my mind with the propaganda and "briefings" that I was in a total state of fear.

It subsided and the fear went away. They did come to my house and I did not answer the door ever. I told them they could not come to my job so they stayed away. I now give them the standard "I am busy paying off Scientology debt so I can't come to events, go on course etc". They hear that alot so it is acceptable.

I moved, changed my phone number and did not give them any forwarding address. I notified everyone personally of my move and did not tell the post office of my move.

The buyer of my house called me a few months after the sale and said he had boxes of mail from Scientology and asked If I wanted it. I told him "NO - throw it out. Scientology is a cult and they take all of your money and shatter your family. I was unfortunate to get lured and trapped in it for a while". He was very kind and said he would dump the shit.