Rebecca Minkoff, the author of Fearless, discusses Scientology -- or rather avoids the subject of Scientology

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Rebecca Minkoff, the author of Fearless, discusses Scientology -- or rather avoids the subject of Scientology.

NY Times: The Gospel of Rebecca Minkoff

The fashion designer who always felt like an outsider shares a bit of tough love in her new book, “Fearless.”

By Jessica Testa
June 23, 2021
Updated 11:26 a.m. ET

The Gospel of Rebecca Minkoff

merlin_188865579_1d8da0e0-8b50-424d-84af-1851fc7f4275-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Ms. Minkoff offers details of these setbacks with humor and candor. But one aspect of her life goes unaddressed: her membership in the Church of Scientology, which was founded upon another self-help book, L. Ron Hubbard’s “Dianetics.”

While she hasn’t spoken publicly about them before, Ms. Minkoff said she does not hide her beliefs. “I’m totally open,” she said. “But it’s not my job to proselytize.”

Over the years, she said, people have expressed confusion that she identifies as both Jewish and a Scientologist.

“I think there’s a lot of confusion when people hear the word ‘religion’ — immediately you hear that I pray to L. Ron Hubbard,” she said. “I study it, I take classes and that’s the extent of it, and it’s helped me stay centered. I don’t have all the answers. When I needed someone, it was a place for me to go get some answers.”

Like other prominent Scientologists — some, such as the actress Jenna Elfman, are mentioned in “Fearless” as Ms. Minkoff’s early supporters — the designer refers to what she believed to be “horrific misinformation” about the church and its belief system, which she considers “more of a self-improvement philosophy.”

But her interest in self-improvement is also one reason her book exists, with assurances like: “Fear can be overcome. You have the power to take action.”

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

/