Plymouth Herald: Church of Scientology told to clean up and invest in Devonport's historic Royal Fleet Club

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Plymouth Herald: Church of Scientology told to clean up and invest in Devonport's historic Royal Fleet Club

MP and Plymouth councillor have written to Church founded by Sci-Fi writer to get to grips with fly-tipped waste, fix the damage to the former Devonport hotel and develop it - or sell it to someone who will

BY CARL EVE
05:00, 12 JUL 2021

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/church-scientology-told-clean-up-5632099.amp

* *.* *.* BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

By April 2019 agents for the property admitted it was derelict and in a poor state of repair with water ingress seriously damaging the fabric of the building. A planning application at that time noted the council's response to the Church's proposals was one of "overall support for the proposed refurbishment and re-use of the Royal Fleet building as a church and place of theological education".

The following month, Plymouth City Council approved planning permission to convert it into a South West hub for the controversial religion.

However, little has changed over the past three years, leading to the building becoming a magnet for fly-tippers.

As a result Devonport’s MP, Luke Pollard, recently wrote to the Church of Scientology asking them to invest in the Royal Fleet Club or sell it to a new owner, after local residents raised concerns about the deteriorating state of the building.

[SNIP]

Councillor Bill Stevens, ward Councillor for Devonport, has added his voice to the MP's call for action.

He said: "It’s a real shame the Fleet Club has been allowed to get into this state. Everyone in Devonport knows this iconic building and I really want the owners to do the right thing and restore it to its former glory or pass it on to someone who can. Devonport deserves nothing less.”

* *.* *.* END EXCERPT * * * * *

/

ISNOINews

Cat's Squirrel

Here@s a link to the story;

I doubt the CofS will do anything though, sadly. They clearly don't care about the condition of the building and have presumably calculated that they're big, rich and powerful enough to be able to ignore the protestations of an English city council.

[A thought has just occurred: what happens if the "whales" notice and start asking awkward questions about what's happened to the money they've donated for this and other Ideal Org buildings?)

Last edited:

ISNOINews

Luke Pollard, MP on Twitter:

Screenshot_20210713-062624_1626182990192.png

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The Royal Fleet Club in Devonport is an important building for our community. It deserves to be invested in and brought back to life. Working with @CouncillorBill I've written to the Church of Scientology to ask them to invest in the building or sell it

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/

ISNOINews

Here@s a link to the story;

I doubt the CofS will do anything though, sadly. They clearly don't care about the condition of the building and have presumably calculated that they're big, rich and powerful enough to be able to ignore the protestations of an English city council.

[A thought has just occurred: what happens if the "whales" notice and start asking awkward questions about what's happened to the money they've donated for this and other Ideal Org buildings?)
Yes, the story that I posted as the first post in this thread.

/

La La Lou Lou

I have to wonder how many staff they have there now, certainly not enough to even keep that place clean if they were doing nothing else. There was very few staff when I remember it, about five and that was a long time ago, all those guys would have retired by now. An always failing Org.

onceuponatime

Plymouth has always been a tiny org of around 5 staff. There's no way that number has gone up and I wouldn't be surprised to hear they now have 2-3 staff. There are always a few diehards who refuse to face reality and won't quit.

I never understood how Plymouth got its building in the first place. Tiny org, tiny field. Maybe they got a good deal on it. But even if they got the real estate for cheap the renos are anything but cheap. Perhaps they had a big donor who more or less bank rolled the purchase. But then they'll never get the 20 million (or whatever it is, probably something around that) to turn it into an "ideal org".

ISNOINews

I never understood how Plymouth got its building in the first place. Tiny org, tiny field. Maybe they got a good deal on it. But even if they got the real estate for cheap the renos are anything but cheap. Perhaps they had a big donor who more or less bank rolled the purchase. But then they'll never get the 20 million (or whatever it is, probably something around that) to turn it into an "ideal org".
Maybe the Royal Fleet Club building was paid for by the IAS? I know that Harlem and Inglewood were, but don't know if others were.

Perhaps the Royal Fleet Club building was purchased simply because Miscavige liked the building and/or the idea of the budding.

/

onceuponatime

Maybe the Royal Fleet Club building was paid for by the IAS? I know that Harlem and Inglewood were, but don't know if others were.

Perhaps the Royal Fleet Club building was purchased simply because Miscavige liked the building and/or the idea of the budding.

/
Perhaps, I know London was 100% financed by the IAS. Building, renos, everything. Maybe the IAS did a campaign where they bought all the UK buildings. I never understood how Birmingham got finished as fast/easily as it did. If the IAS did buy the building for Plymouth then I'd guess that even for them funding the renos would be too much of a waste, with how small the field is and the lack of staff.

La La Lou Lou

Plymouth has always been a tiny org of around 5 staff. There's no way that number has gone up and I wouldn't be surprised to hear they now have 2-3 staff. There are always a few diehards who refuse to face reality and won't quit.

I think the usual way is to blackmail any rich OTs into huge contributions, there were a couple of relatively wealthy OTs around the area back in my day, often being threatened by OT committees in that way.

onceuponatime

I think the usual way is to blackmail any rich OTs into huge contributions, there were a couple of relatively wealthy OTs around the area back in my day, often being threatened by OT committees in that way.
Like I said, perhaps they got a deal and a big donor could bankroll the 2-3 million dollar building purchase. Then the renos are an order of magnitude more and they just don't have any way to raise it. I think this is the most likely scenario. Given the small size of their filed they only have the one big donor and he can't do 15-20 million by himself.

marra