Newly “out”, but not officially 🙄

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
They are always hopeful, and they think that them being around you gives you theta and disenturbulates the entheta, so they will want to be around
If they want to meet, ask "Could my good friend Leah Remini join us?"

The_Fixer

Rachel,

Congratulations on getting out. I hate to say this, but the "WOG World" is also not the easiest place to live nowadays. Freedom can be overwhelming. North Korean defectors write in their tell-all books that they are overwhelmed by 14 different brands of rice in the supermarket.

Don't be afraid to reach out to get help, here or in your city. Do you need help with your resume? Do you need help with a place to live? Do you need time do "decompress" like prisoners who are exonerated by DNA, or police misconduct was uncovered?

I'm a "never-in" but I hope you will take a while to "decompress". If you were in my city, you could live or "hang out" at my place, but I don't live on the bus route and I cannot lend you my spare car (it's in my garage, I need to finish repairing it, and both my cars are manual transmission).

I'm not familiar with how people may try to "recover" you for Scientology, but I'm sure it's just as high-pressure as others have described. If Scientology does find you, I suggest using GENERAL statements about why you just cannot go back. "Scientology focuses too much on money", "anyone at any time can make you start your Bridge all over again at YOUR EXPENSE", "Medical science tells us the Purif is dangerous" or "Scientology pretends it is scientific but it's really the word of one man [Hubbard] whose advice DOES NOT match up with 'the scientific method'" or "Scientology says you can be a Christian and a Scientologist but that's not really true" or similar. Every time they try to come up with a "comeback statement", just stick to your general observation. What's true for you is true for you, and your objection means that Scientology has no place in your life.

You and Scientology will end up "talking past each other". They want to "Tone 40" the conversation and force you to see things from their point of view. They'll never consider your point of view*, since your point of view is "aberrated" and "caused by the space cooties". Just leave at that point.

* (sounds like every argument I've had with my narcissistic mother for the last 50 years, but that's another story).

Decide what you want to do with your life. It's your life, not Hubbard's. Enjoy it !!!
That was interesting, about the North Koreans and getting into the real world for the first time. I had quite forgotten that particular aspect of being when you first leave.
Obviously, the longer you are in, the more profound the effect.
I was only in for a couple of years, but it still had that effect in a diminished way for me and I had my family still there (never ins).

Interesting what you forget over time. Also that you feel that you are the only one that experiences it, only to find out otherwise.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
That was interesting, about the North Koreans and getting into the real world for the first time. I had quite forgotten that particular aspect of being when you first leave.
I was only in for a couple of years, but it still had that effect in a diminished way for me and I had my family still there (never ins).

Interesting what you forget over time. Also that you feel that you are the only one that experiences it, only to find out otherwise.
yes, they have a hard time adapting and some even go back, believe it or not.

a related phenomenon i find fascinating is that it was estimated it was going to take 2 generations for the East Germans to overcome the effects of 44 years -- or about 2 generations -- of living under a totalitarian control regime. and based on the problems they are still having including with neo-Nazis, i am guessing some many now be thinking that it could take 3 generations or even longer.

and on a very tangential note, i learned from some of my friends who have studied Russia and lived there, that medieval serfdom in the country didn't end until about the time of our civil war, and even people in Russia itself consider the problems of the Soviet totalitarian regime and now the Putinist one that has become totalitarian and neo-czarist, to be that much of the Russian population has yet to move much beyond the conditioned docility and obedience of centuries -- though i will say that people i met and know in big cities in Western Russia like Moscow and St. Petersburg, were more like what we'd expect in the 21st century.

guanoloco

As-Wased

If you get the opportunity watch this film (Netflix):

Werner Herzog always does fascinating documentaries. This one is on volcanoes and guess where one is at in the film?

In order for them to visit and film it they have to have access and permission granted by North Korea and deal with North Korean government officials.

Spooky cult stuff ensues...

Type4_PTS

Werner Herzog always does fascinating documentaries. This one is on volcanoes and guess where one is at in the film?

In order for them to visit and film it they have to have access and permission granted by North Korea and deal with North Korean government officials.

Spooky cult stuff ensues...

The first thing that came to mind was the volcano in Hawaii where we all met millions of years ago.

Vumba

Thank you, Isaac! And those are such interesting questions.
So much of the media I’ve consumed this year about cults, indoctrination, coercive control, etc., some of these folks refer to US as being under a veil in a way or other metaphorical terms. But I think of life as being under a glass case and totally imprisoned in it. And yet, I can’t remember when the first crack in the glass happened. It was at least maybe 15 years ago?? I’m not sure, as there have been so many.
But I can tell you that this year, I let myself listen to a podcast in which there was an episode that was HEAVILY Scientology-adjacent, and it was about cults! And I don’t know what piece of information I heard in there, but I can fucking tell you that my entire glass case shattered and I was suddenly on my knees, screaming and crying. I lost EVERYTHING I knew in a single second.

So, I have been picking up slivers ever since and trying to recover, educate myself, be in therapy religiously, figuring out how to navigate some very dangerous things in my path now and in the future.
Rachel you’re so welcome here. I was in from aged 6 until I left aged 21, having been in the SO and in the Apollo. It makes so much sense you feel trepidation and are nervous. I’ve found out so much truth since I got out, and I learned that the indoctrination and lies were all designed to make one scared about coming out and finally leaving. Sending you love as you negotiate your future. Xx