My Brother

If this isn't the right forum for this I apologize. My post is a long time coming.

My brother Peter Collins has been mostly disconnected from our family for 30 years.
Peter is now 54 years old and we believe he lives in a former motel room. He is a Sea Org employee in Clearwater.
He joined Scientology in 1989/1990, while in San Francisco. He then went to Los Angeles for a couple of years, and then to Clearwater since the early 90s.
As far as we know he has married and divorced twice. Both were Scientology members from other countries.
Peter says his job is to assist people with their studies. He described his job as the same 20 years ago.
He has taken 2 trips to visit family since being in Scientology. Once for my wedding 23 years ago and once for a family graduation. The graduation trip coincided with taking his wife & her mother to NYC to secure a visa, so that was likely the real purpose for the trip. That was 10 years ago.
He told one of our siblings that he divorced that wife shortly afterwards.
In the last month he has called and emailed a few family members, including our 80-year old mother who he disconnected from in the early 90's.
The phone #'s and emails are Scientology-owned. As far as we know he has no cell phone or personal email address. His return address on snail mail is the Ft Harrison Hotel. He has never owned or rented his own home, does not own a car. His highest level of education is high school and his entire employment history for the past 30 years is with Scientology.
Peter still states that he is happy with his life.
If anyone knows Peter, worked with him, married him or lived with him, I would like to know more about him.
Thank you!

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Hello and welcome to ESMB @SisterofPete.

I hope someone can assist you with the information you would like about your brother ... I suggest you keep bumping this thread for a while to keep it current because some of our members only drop by every now and again and may not see it otherwise.

It sounds as if Pete is a scientology supervisor and if so he'll be working in a course room, mainly watching over the students to make sure they are studying in the very exacting way that hubbard insisted upon. There are not many students these days though, which is a very good thing!

:welcome2:

Hello and welcome to ESMB @SisterofPete.

I hope someone can assist you with the information you would like about your brother ... I suggest you keep bumping this thread for a while to keep it current because some of our members only drop by every now and again and may not see it otherwise.

It sounds as if Pete is a scientology supervisor and if so he'll be working in a course room, mainly watching over the students to make sure they are studying in the very exacting way that hubbard insisted upon. There are not many students these days though, which is a very good thing!

:welcome2:
Thanks for your reply. I will keep on eye on this thread bump it up now and then.

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
There was a guy that was a course admin (Clerical assistant) in the SHSBC (An upper level training course) courseroom back in the 90's when I was there. Slender, 5' 9", and the smaller side of medium build, pleasant but businesslike. I think that his name was Peter, I just can't fully recall.

The Oracle

Not the same Oracle from a decade ago
Welcome to this forum.
I had a friend who was manipulated into joining the Sea Org, like your brother, and went to FLAG.
I was still in drinking the kool aid when he was "recruited / deceived into signing the billion year contract and supported his move because I was IN and believed everything they told me.
He actually allowed himself to get conned into the Sea Org cuz his life sucked and he was broke, alone and Scientology had deceived him into giving up his game of working and earning lots of money, having a family (they were all SP's, and NOT saving the planet).
BTW - this is Standard Operating Mind Control trickery.
I learned within his first year, that they cut off all forms of communication to the outside world. They took away his cell phone and gave him a phone number that was somewhere in the bowels of Flag - probably where Lisa McPherson was placed. He never was available when I called an messages were never answered.
They have other staff members write and send and read all e-mails sent to Flag Sea Org staff. I knew he was in trouble when he sent me an e-mail via a foreigner Sea Org member who did not do a very good job pretending to be him. He spelled the names of his family members wrong and said things my friend would never say.

That was one of many cuts of thousands of cuts where I made a mental note - "never join the Sea Org or go back to Flag".

It is my experience that you are not communicating with Peter.
All Scientologists still under the undue influence of Scientology HAVE to say they are happy. It is programmed into their subconscious minds.

Last edited:

Zertel

SisterofPete - Some people get institutionalized like inmates in prison. They have food, clothing and shelter and get into a routine.

Someone on Mike Rinder's blog also mentioned being contacted by a sea org family member. No one is sure what to make of it, whether it's a relaxing of disconnection or just a public relations move. Of the three family members that person contacted two of them weren't critical of scn and he did a follow up contact with them. With the other family member who was critical he didn't.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to this forum.
I had a friend who was manipulated into joining the Sea Org, like your brother, and went to FLAG.
I was still in drinking the kool aid when he was "recruited / deceived into signing the billion year contract and supported his move because I was IN and believed everything they told me.
He actually allowed himself to get conned into the Sea Org cuz his life sucked and he was broke, alone and Scientology had deceived him into giving up his game of working and earning lots of money, having a family (they were all SP's, and NOT saving the planet).
BTW - this is Standard Operating Mind Control trickery.
I learned within his first year, that they cut off all forms of communication to the outside world. They took away his cell phone and gave him a phone number that was somewhere in the bowels of Flag - probably where Lisa McPherson was placed. He never was available when I called an messages were never answered.
They have other staff members write and send and read all e-mails sent to Flag Sea Org staff. I knew he was in trouble when he sent me an e-mail via a foreigner Sea Org member who did not do a very good job pretending to be him. He spelled the names of his family wrong and said things my friend would never say.
That was one of many cuts of thousands of cuts where I made a mental note - "never join the Sea Org or go back to Flag".

It is my experience that you are not communicating with Peter. All Scientologists still under the undue influence of Scientology HAVE to say they are happy. It is programmed into their subconscious minds.
I agree and assume that someone else is responding to the emails we get from him. I recently addressed my email to "Peter & Sea Org". A few years ago I asked him about the street we grew up on, to test him. They must have questioned him before responding.

SisterofPete - Some people get institutionalized like inmates in prison. They have food, clothing and shelter and get into a routine.

Someone on Mike Rinder's blog also mentioned being contacted by a sea org family member. No one is sure what to make of it, whether it's a relaxing of disconnection or just a public relations move. Of the three family members that person contacted two of them weren't critical of scn and he did a follow up contact with them. With the other family member who was critical he didn't.

Hope this helps.
Zertel, I've recently posted on Mike Rinder's blog about my brother, so it may have been me. I am the family member that was critical of him.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Scientology now owns several former motels in the Clearwater area.

I was there in the 1980s, and at the time was being housed at the former "Heart of Clearwater" motel. There were 9 of us living in a single motel room, in triple decker bunk beds.

Your brother will not be allowed unsupervised communication with you. You should assume that any phone call will have a staff member sitting next to him ready to cut the connection if he says anything negative. He will know that he will be punished for any attempt to communicate anything negative, or any desire to leave.

In my own case, I finally decided I had enough. There were still pay phones in restaurants in those days, so it was possible to call home collect and arrange for a pre-paid airline ticket.

Expect that he will be retained by them until he is too old to work, at which point he will be dumped on the street.

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
If this isn't the right forum for this I apologize. My post is a long time coming.

My brother Peter Collins has been mostly disconnected from our family for 30 years.
Peter is now 54 years old and we believe he lives in a former motel room. He is a Sea Org employee in Clearwater.
He joined Scientology in 1989/1990, while in San Francisco. He then went to Los Angeles for a couple of years, and then to Clearwater since the early 90s.
As far as we know he has married and divorced twice. Both were Scientology members from other countries.
Peter says his job is to assist people with their studies. He described his job as the same 20 years ago.
He has taken 2 trips to visit family since being in Scientology. Once for my wedding 23 years ago and once for a family graduation. The graduation trip coincided with taking his wife & her mother to NYC to secure a visa, so that was likely the real purpose for the trip. That was 10 years ago.
In the last month he has called and emailed a few family members, including our 80-year old mother who he disconnected from in the early 90's.
The phone #'s and emails are Scientology-owned. As far as we know he has no cell phone or personal email address. His return address on snail mail is the Ft Harrison Hotel. He has never owned or rented his own home, does not own a car. His highest level of education is high school and his entire employment history for the past 30 years is with Scientology.
If anyone knows Peter, worked with him, married him or lived with him, I would like to know more about him.
Thank you!
Welcome, btw! Sorry to hear that you have family still in. Scientology has shrunken considerably in the last twenty years, I've been out for just the last three. I was in almost thirty years. I'm hopeful it will be shrinking quite a bit more soon!

Bill

Thank you!
One thing I would suggest is to write to your brother regularly, even if he can't answer. Write "good news" kind of letters, never critical and (this is the key part) always tell him you will always be there for him, whatever he needs. This gives him a safe person to call if/when he needs to leave.

Maybe you can post a pic.
One thing I would suggest is to write to your brother regularly, even if he can't answer. Write "good news" kind of letters, never critical and (this is the key part) always tell him you will always be there for him, whatever he needs. This gives him a safe person to call if/when he needs to leave.
Thanks Bill. I wrote him like that for many years. As did much of our large family. He has been in for so long and so disconnected that we all eventually moved on with our own lives. 30 years is a long time.

TheSneakster

I was there in the 1980s, and at the time was being housed at the former "Heart of Clearwater" motel. There were 9 of us living in a single motel room, in triple decker bunk beds.
Oh, wow. I was bunking in 'Heart of Clearwater" for about six (6) months in latter half of 1981, when I was an Expeditor in External Comm IMO (Int Management Org) acting as the Telex Runner. I had keys for the entire Flag Land Base (except the NOTS course room). Can you believe that I only had a basic PTS A-J meter check for clearance for that job ?

Now I wonder whether we ever met. :eek:

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Sounds like he is a course supervisor. I haven't spent much time in Clearwater. I have family members who 100% would know him if he was at Flag for over 20 years, but I'm disconnected from them. :/

Happens all the time in the Sea Org, especially in Clearwater. You should know that many Sea Org people there are foreigners who are on a religious volunteer status. When their visa expires, Scientology often has them married to an American Sea Org member to keep them in the US. From what you wrote, it is possible Pete fell victim of this practice.

Were any of his spouses from Venezuela, Russia or Hungary by any chance? That's the 3 most common countries that "arranged brides" come from.

Yep, that is not at all an unusual situation for a Sea Org member. If I had stayed inside, this description could have been very well been applied to me.

What more can I say? It is a cult and the Sea Org in particular are under very high levels of control, it is like being in the Marines. Your superior tells you to jump and you ask "how high?".

Your brother will not be allowed unsupervised communication with you. You should assume that any phone call will have a staff member sitting next to him ready to cut the connection if he says anything negative. He will know that he will be punished for any attempt to communicate anything negative, or any desire to leave.
Not only that, you should also be aware that scientology agents are probably reading these forums.

Good suggestion. Though if scientology is reading these boards, they might now start trashing all incoming mail for Pete without ever showing them to him. So if possible, try both calling and sending letters.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Can you believe that I only had a basic PTS A-J meter check for clearance for that job ?
I only had a basic meter check too, and I was in a much higher-security job.

My memory of the place was it was a chaotic mess. Very busy, but little useful getting accomplished. I keep saying that much of "Int Management" would not qualify to manage a fast-food place.

Enthetan

It is a cult and the Sea Org in particular are under very high levels of control, it is like being in the Marines. Your superior tells you to jump and you ask "how high?".
Much higher level of control than the Marines. In the Marines, you would get time off, you could go off-base when off duty, and you would have money to spend on entertainment.

Being in the Sea Org is more like being in the military under combat deployment, only you never get rotated home.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Much higher level of control than the Marines. In the Marines, you would get time off, you could go off-base when off duty, and you would have money to spend on entertainment.

Being in the Sea Org is more like being in the military under combat deployment, only you never get rotated home.
Fair point. Though the person making the opening post is not an ex-scientologist. I used the Marines, because that's the nearest thing to cults that normal people have a good idea about.

Explaining cult to a non-cultist in 3 words... you know how it goes. But yeah, I oversimplified it with the marines reference and you are right that it is in many ways different.

TheSneakster

My memory of the place was it was a chaotic mess. Very busy, but little useful getting accomplished. I keep saying that much of "Int Management" would not qualify to manage a fast-food place.
David "Darth Midget" Miscavige completely annihilated IMO with RTC Ethics Order #1 "Committee of Evidence - Squirrels" (title?) in late 1981 which RPF'd or SP Declared and Expelled thirteen (13) of the top senior managers, each with over a decade experience. A couple dozen junior managers who worked under these folks were also removed from post and RPF'd. Far less competent people were moved up from the Continental Laison Offices (CLO - middle management) to fill the crater. In turn, the Divisional Heads of the Sea Org tech delivery organizations were pulled into the CLOs to fill the holes. Critical tech delivery people were moved up to Div Head posts.

By this means, Darth Midget actually wiped out both management and technical delivery in all the Advanced Orgs and St. Hill Orgs globally. C of S never recovered and he converted C of S into the Church of Incessant Abusive Solicitation (IAS).

Apparently you encountered the aftermath of the slaughter. Fuck DM. :mad: