Mike Rinder announcement, Fighting 4th stage esophageal cancer

Karen#1

Dear Friends,

This is Christie, Mike’s wife, writing to share our latest news. First I want to express my deep gratitude for the support and love you’ve shown my husband throughout the years. Mike has actively shared his experience, wisdom and insights with you on his blog on an almost daily basis for many, many years. Today I have both heartbreaking and hopeful news.

While Mike would not ordinarily share personal matters like this, he feels the need to let you all know what is going on and why his blog posts, appearances and YouTube presence has been erratic of late.

Mike has been struggling with some health issues for a few months, starting around the beginning of March. Throughout this time he has been under the care of doctors and following all of their recommendations. Unfortunately it’s been a slow road to get to the correct diagnosis. Mike has now been officially diagnosed with advanced esophageal cancer. It is devastating news for our whole family, but we are navigating this new chapter with strength and unwavering determination.

He started his first treatment on Thursday of last week and is making headway in the right direction now. We’ve got a fantastic oncologist who Mike feels very comfortable with, and has confidence in. The medical team also found a specific mutation in Mike’s blood which is the driver of the cancer. There is an approved targeted therapy that has a very high percentage of effectiveness for this mutation. Mike should be able to start that therapy very soon and we are hopeful that he will make a full recovery as a result.

I want to take a moment to acknowledge the incredible outpouring of support we have already received from our closest friends. Your thoughtful words, prayers, and acts of kindness have been a source of immense comfort and strength. We are grateful to have such remarkable individuals in our lives.

This news may evoke a range of emotions within all of you. I want to encourage you to hold onto hope. Our journey is far from over, and we believe that with the advances in modern medicine we can overcome this challenge.

Mike is a fighter, a man of incredible resilience and determination. Throughout his life, he has faced numerous obstacles and emerged stronger every time. His courageous spirit will guide him through this battle, just as it has in the past.

In the coming weeks and months, Mike may not be able to maintain the same level of engagement as before. Likewise he will not be able to respond to every message. We appreciate all of the offers of support and help, and we will reach out if we need anything.

Our goal is to fight this disease with all our might and emerge victorious. He will be back. He is not going anywhere.

Please keep Mike in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you again for being there for us. Your support means more than words can express. We are blessed to have you in our lives, and we are eternally grateful for your love and friendship.

Read more:

Vumba

Dear Friends,

This is Christie, Mike’s wife, writing to share our latest news. First I want to express my deep gratitude for the support and love you’ve shown my husband throughout the years. Mike has actively shared his experience, wisdom and insights with you on his blog on an almost daily basis for many, many years. Today I have both heartbreaking and hopeful news.

While Mike would not ordinarily share personal matters like this, he feels the need to let you all know what is going on and why his blog posts, appearances and YouTube presence has been erratic of late.

Mike has been struggling with some health issues for a few months, starting around the beginning of March. Throughout this time he has been under the care of doctors and following all of their recommendations. Unfortunately it’s been a slow road to get to the correct diagnosis. Mike has now been officially diagnosed with advanced esophageal cancer. It is devastating news for our whole family, but we are navigating this new chapter with strength and unwavering determination.

He started his first treatment on Thursday of last week and is making headway in the right direction now. We’ve got a fantastic oncologist who Mike feels very comfortable with, and has confidence in. The medical team also found a specific mutation in Mike’s blood which is the driver of the cancer. There is an approved targeted therapy that has a very high percentage of effectiveness for this mutation. Mike should be able to start that therapy very soon and we are hopeful that he will make a full recovery as a result.

I want to take a moment to acknowledge the incredible outpouring of support we have already received from our closest friends. Your thoughtful words, prayers, and acts of kindness have been a source of immense comfort and strength. We are grateful to have such remarkable individuals in our lives.

This news may evoke a range of emotions within all of you. I want to encourage you to hold onto hope. Our journey is far from over, and we believe that with the advances in modern medicine we can overcome this challenge.

Mike is a fighter, a man of incredible resilience and determination. Throughout his life, he has faced numerous obstacles and emerged stronger every time. His courageous spirit will guide him through this battle, just as it has in the past.

In the coming weeks and months, Mike may not be able to maintain the same level of engagement as before. Likewise he will not be able to respond to every message. We appreciate all of the offers of support and help, and we will reach out if we need anything.

Our goal is to fight this disease with all our might and emerge victorious. He will be back. He is not going anywhere.

Please keep Mike in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you again for being there for us. Your support means more than words can express. We are blessed to have you in our lives, and we are eternally grateful for your love and friendship.

Read more:
Katen thanks for letting us know this tough news. I am so sorry to hear this. Please could you pass on the message that my Brother In Law (ex Scn) survived oesophageal cancer and is a Supporter if Mike is interested in speaking to him xx
[/QUOTE]

Alex P. Keaton

Never-in
Did Mike get expert care from the start? For my case (Hodgkins which needed a bone marrow transplant) I got expert care that was diagnosed quickly, but I waited several months to get started because I was in denial. Hopefully Mike's treatment will be successful. I'm now dealing with lymphedema (right leg) but I'm 18 years cancer-free.

Can Mike expect a post-cancer life as carefree and fulfilling as mine? Any prognosis? I'm sure any prayers and good thoughts for Mike Rinder will be appreciated.

Karen#1

Did Mike get expert care from the start? For my case (Hodgkins which needed a bone marrow transplant) I got expert care that was diagnosed quickly, but I waited several months to get started because I was in denial. Hopefully Mike's treatment will be successful. I'm now dealing with lymphedema (right leg) but I'm 18 years cancer-free.

Can Mike expect a post-cancer life as carefree and fulfilling as mine? Any prognosis? I'm sure any prayers and good thoughts for Mike Rinder will be appreciated.
Did you get a pronouncement of STAGE 4 ?
Stage 4 means metastasize to other areas.
Will continue to share this battle.. :heartflowers:

Alex P. Keaton

Never-in
Yes, it was stage 4. 12 weeks of chemo bought me about 7 weeks before the night sweats started happening again. Then 4 sessions of 4 days and 3 nights (I.C.E.) and bone marrow extraction. Bone marrow re-introduced Feb. 1, 2005. Few people know when you receive bone marrow from a matching donor, your blood type may change. But I donated to myself so that didn't happen.

(It was a more carefree time. Once, I rode to one of my 12 chemo sessions on my $600 chain-drive Honda CM400T, and parked it in the parking garage next to my oncologists BMW R1150RT. His bike was not there when my chemo concluded. No idea whether he knew the Honda was mine, but I knew the Beemer was his.)

Last edited:

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
That's extremely sad news.

Mike has done so much to shed light on the grisly details of Davey's reign. His part in the aftermath production has been invaluable. I think everyone in the ex-scn community, regardless of their experiences and where they come from, wishes Mike a speedy return to health.

This news may evoke a range of emotions within all of you. I want to encourage you to hold onto hope.
I guess there is nothing better I can do than to second what Christie said.

statpush

Not to sound insensitive, but what does this mean?

"The medical team also found a specific mutation in Mike’s blood which is the driver of the cancer. "

Is she saying, Mike has a blood mutation which has caused his esophageal cancer?

Churchill

"The medical team also found a specific mutation in Mike’s blood which is the driver of the cancer. "

Is she saying, Mike has a blood mutation which has caused his esophageal cancer?
Suggest you google: How are biomarkers used to treat cancer?

Pepin

There is a specific mutation that hijacks the cell reproduction insulating the cancer from the immune system and putting the spread into overdrive

vegan3

moringa is also amazingly helpful for many things. tea bags, loose leaf (a pain), capsules, any way you find it. i had a cough that wasn't going away. 42 years I smoked. quit about a decade ago. just went back to taking my moringa capsules and the cough is almost completely gone. a ton of success stories on youtube. a pack a day for 42 years omg.

"Anastasia stared a juice fast nearly a year ago in an attempt to resolve a tumour and some health issues she was facing. What happened has been crazy! Anastasia also had major changes take place when she went from cooked to raw vegan years ago as well! Stay tuned till the end as Anastasia is such a sweet soul with so many beautiful messages in this."

Last edited: